Best vets for cats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best vets for cats?

Does anyone have any recommendations for good veterinarians for cats? I don't want to take my two cats back to the vet they had last year, Heart of Chelsea, but I don't have any idea where else to go. I've done the Googling bit and found some message board posts elsewhere, but they mostly pertain to dogs and I am hoping to hear some personal recommendations. Is West Chelsea any good? Are there other vets you'd recommend/stay away from?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Best vets for cats?

Hi AlexisMCK, I take my cat to West Chelsea Vet at 203 10th Ave., & 22nd. I think they're very good.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesB
      Hi AlexisMCK, I take my cat to West Chelsea Vet at 203 10th Ave., & 22nd. I think they're very good.
      DITTO.

Although we always make sure our appointment is with Dr. Farber, the senior vet. I won't go into why just yet.

Comment

Haven't had to use a vet yet, but if you need to put your furry friend in hostel for a day - Paws in Chelsea (W24th street/6th & 7th). Maybe they can suggest a doctor.
        http://www.pawsinchelsea.com/

xo
        v

Comment

I use downtown veterinary clinic (Dr Janet Ficarra) at 148 Ninth Avenue (at 19th Street). Have been going there for about 7 years -- no complaints.

Comment

I've been going to Dr. Ficarra for over five years with no complaints either. Some people have criticized her for being a bit brusque, and she may be that way with the pet OWNERS, but I've never seen anyone who loves animals the way she does.

Heart of Chelsea is the one on 18th next to the barber shop? Can you say why you don't want to go back?

Comment

Originally posted by girlfriday
              a bit brusque
              She's definitely "no nonsense", but as long as she takes good care of my cat, that's all I care about.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice so far!

For Heart of Chelsea, yes, that's the vet on 18th Street. I thought that their front desk staff and most of the techs were lovely, but I really got a bad vibe from the vets I dealt with there. They were really impatient with questions, didn't really listen to the concerns I had and they had a very brusque bedside manner with both me and the cats. They also put a lot of pressure on me to purchase all sorts of extra services...they literally spent more time trying to sell me stuff than they did looking at the cats. I didn't like that. I also thought their prices were a bit steep. I don't put a price on caring for my cats (if the best vet is expensive, so be it, that's where they will go) but I thought their prices were a bit outrageous.

Comment

Alexis - that sounds bad. I don't think I'd go there either. W Chelsea vet I have to say - was awesome about NOT trying to sell me extras. In fact, they had a brochure on their counter about pet medical insurance (I guess you'd call it pet vet insurance)! So I asked them about it and the guy did such a good un-sales job that I ended up not buying it. He told me that it wasn't really very good.

That it almost never covered what you needed it to cover and if you'd just save the amount you'd pay in premiums every month for hte life of your pet - you'd have more than enough cash lying around to cover just about any contingency. I really appreciated his honesty in explaining the "scam" of pet insurance. I really felt he and all of the people there really do have the best interest of your pet (not their pockets) as their highest priority.

Oh, and the Docs there have always willing to give me whatever time I need to ask questions. Unlike what some here have said, I think it's important how they treat the animals as well as how they treat you. After all - you're the one paying the bills.

Comment

I echo the recommendation of West Chelsea and I have had good experiences with several of the vets there.
                    I also like Paws Inn Chelsea for grooming/boarding.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the advice! I ended up taking my cats to West Chelsea. I was so pleased with the visit. The vet (Dr. Halligan) was amazing, the tech that helped her was wonderful, the entire office was clean, friendly and well run. They were very good about not overcharging or trying to rope me into buying stuff, too. I'm very glad I made the switch.

Oh, and Charles, I do agree with you--I think it's very important that the vets treat the owners AND the pets well. I'm paying the bill, and more importantly, I want to be able to feel comfortable bringing up my concerns freely to the doctor.

Comment

Hi.

The very best Vet you can take your precious pet to is Jay Kuhlman at the Grammercy Animal Hospital on E. 19th street.

I used both the West Chelsea vets at 22nd and 10th ave and the vet at 9th ave and 19th? street and would not recommend either.

If your pet is worth it to you, take the walk or a cab across town and see Dr. Kuhlman.

Comment

Why wouldn't you recommend Dr. Ficarra (Ninth and 19th)? I actually wanted to amend my earlier post about her being brusque, I was just there this weekend and she was a doll.

Comment

Hi Girlfriday

My last cat was sick when I brought him to Dr Ficarra's place. They did several tests including a biopsy and said everything was fine. He wasn't. I also brought him to West Chelsea on 10th and went through the same run-around....tests, etc...all said he was ok.

Oh, and let me just add....KA-CHING!

Finally, I took him to my old vet who helped to prolong the life of my first cat, Dr. Kuhlman and his crew at Grammercy. They tested him and found serious problems which were too late to help. Imagine how terrible I felt. If only I had brought him there in the first place.

A pleasant bed-side manner is nice, but I'd rather have a doctor who knows what they're doing. Sometimes you have to leave the neighborhood to find what you need. If I ever get another pet, I would travel to Dr. Kuhlman's office no matter where I lived in the city.

The next best place in the city for animal care is The Animal Medical Center on the Upper East Side. Another long LONG haul, I know, but they are excellent.

From my own experience and those of folks I know, I haven't heard of or been to a decent vet in Chelsea. Sorry, I wish I could say better.

LTR

Comment

Yes, they are very good albeit expensive. The doctors and their assistants have a great bedside manner w/my cat.

Comment

Working...
                              X