Gristedes, 8th Ave. between 21 & 22

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gristedes, 8th Ave. between 21 & 22

I confess that this store irks me. It has been filthy almost since the day it opened, which really wasn't very long ago. When their cellar is open, you can still smell the fire that burnt down Key Foods (in time immemorial), which indicates that nobody ever cleaned down there before they rebuilt on top of it so many years later. The whole store is just a little icky, so I try not to buy things there that have been open to the elements.

They do seem to have been trying harder recently, with a deli counter and an interesting selection of ethnic foods, and there is some evidence that they have been applying wax and a buffer to the dirty floors (although there really is no substitute for getting down on your hands and knees and scrubbing in the corners BEFORE you wax). Some of the women at the cash registers have been there for years and are very nice.

However, today they finally crossed the line. I ventured out early this morning to buy some milk for my coffee, and it was GONE. In the place of the leaping cows of the Tuscan Dairies and the fresh air organic New England cows, there was that little orange and black shopping cart, symbol of the lowest acceptable quality for a marginally lower (sometimes) price: the Shoprite brand! Enough is enough.

I know that there are some store brands that are very well thought of, and that I shouldn't pay good money for "just a name." But there is NOTHING in the Shoprite playlist that is worth the savings. Even their food storage bags, which I have been known to buy for picking up after my dogs, have been trimmed down the extra millimeter that makes me regret it. I shrug it off and avoid the brand, it's really not that important.

But MILK? Yuck. People feed that to their children. I presume that, in removing every other brand of milk in the store, they're hoping that their customers will just buy it because it's not worth going to a second store for the milk.

While I admit to being chastened by leaving Gristedes to buy my milk in the erstwhile Gigi's Head Shop, then having to scrub the container down in hot water and detergent before I opened it, there are other proper grocery stores in the neighborhood and I plan to take my business there in the future.

Re: Gristedes, 8th Ave. between 21 & 22

On an early Sunday Zabar's run I was happy to notice Tuscan milk so I bought a container, then did a little taste test at home, Tuscan v. the "Horizon Organic" which I got at Gristedes on Sat. when I couldn't find Tuscan. It was no contest, Tuscan won.

Btw, which store is the "erstwhile Gigi's Head Shop" to which you refer? And who's Gigi? Thanks.

Comment

The little grocery/deli/magazine shop on the corner of 8th Ave and 21st Street was, when I first moved to Chelsea, the purveyor of the cheapest cigarettes in the neighborhood as well as newspapers, magazines (not exactly the New Yorker if you know what I mean), milk, beer, rolling papers, roach clips and the incredibly exotic delicacy, plantain chips, all under the name of Gigi's Head Shop. It's still the same guys, but a different generation for all of us! Those were the days.

Did you notice Rawhide's 30th anniversary? It was Johnny's Lounge then. The BAD stuff happened at the so-called candy store on the other side of 8th Ave., which is long gone, in case you'd like to know. And this morning's milk carton was doubtless because of the grubby fingers of those PS11 kids, who can now buy sandwiches and juice at ex-Gigi's -- I only put it into my tale to show that no high horse goes unpunished.

Meanwhile, I have long since given up smoking and have embraced the life of a grocery store vigilante. I have HAD it with that Gristedes.

Comment

I live bet. 9th & 10th so I wouldn't have gone there on a regular basis. But if they still sell rolling papers, that's good to know: thanks for the tip,

Originally posted by EKV View Post
        The little grocery/deli/magazine shop on the corner of 8th Ave and 21st Street was, when I first moved to Chelsea, the purveyor of the cheapest cigarettes in the neighborhood as well as newspapers, magazines (not exactly the New Yorker if you know what I mean), milk, beer, rolling papers, roach clips and the incredibly exotic delicacy, plantain chips, all under the name of Gigi's Head Shop. It's still the same guys, but a different generation for all of us! Those were the days.

Did you notice Rawhide's 30th anniversary? It was Johnny's Lounge then. The BAD stuff happened at the so-called candy store on the other side of 8th Ave., which is long gone, in case you'd like to know. And this morning's milk carton was doubtless because of the grubby fingers of those PS11 kids, who can now buy sandwiches and juice at ex-Gigi's -- I only put it into my tale to show that no high horse goes unpunished.

Meanwhile, I have long since given up smoking and have embraced the life of a grocery store vigilante. I have HAD it with that Gristedes.

Comment

D'agostino's on 17th bet. 8th & 7th is decent.

Comment

I'm surprised to see the concepts "clean" and "Gristede's" in the same paragraph. Never thought that would happen.

Comment

compared to NSA on 9th avenue Gristedes is way cleaner. You can smell the bad refrigeration from NSA. You can walk into gristedes on 26th St. and never ever smell bad refrigeration. I rarely show at 8th Avenue store because I live closer to the other store so I am not sure abou their cleansiness. Nothing is perfect in this world but there are a lot of things going on in supermarkets on the possitive side that employees may see that customers may not.

Comment

Gristede's on Eighth Avenue is pristine compared to their store in London Terrace.

Comment

I do not like Gristedes (8th ave b/w 21st and 22nd), they are overpriced and am always getting ripped off of that place with advertised specials that do not get rung up as such once at the register, i stopped fighting about it and only go their for necessities. My prefered supermarket is Met Foods on 28th & 9th - a bit of a walk but it is wide, clean and comfortable.

Comment

My prefered supermarket is Met Foods on 28th & 9th - a bit of a walk but it is wide, clean and comfortable.
                    Constanza, Are you aware that it is no longer Met Foods? It's now NSA.

Comment

Classic. That's what happens when you get old(er).

Comment

Well, actually, we threw Gristede's out of our building and got Westside Market which is pristine with the best priced and freshest produce in the city. Gristede's was good until "you know who" took it over and destroyed it.
                        roby2000

Comment

Gristedes is still owned by the same person- John C. All their stores have the exact same products but prices differ.

Comment

Originally posted by momjo View Post
                            Gristedes is still owned by the same person- John C. All their stores have the exact same products but prices differ.
                            I know it is still him and he opened a place in the 14th St. Gristedes space called "Grocer John" which is actually clean. He tried to name it "Trader John" but Trader Joe sued. Anyway, Trader Joe is mobbed and Grocer John stands empty. People know of him, ya think?
                            roby2000

Comment

lets just say the owner rarely shows up and has his Vp's in charge who show up on a very regular basis. I have not walked into the new trader Joes since it isnt in the neighborhood and if I am goingto walk that far I go to trader joes where I get good deals. When I passed by though it looked just like any gristedes I have ever seen LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X