Toxic barbecue fumes from backyard grills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic barbecue fumes from backyard grills

Does anyone else with an apt in the back of a brownstone have a problem with noxious fumes coming in their apts from barbecue grills?

Whenever people barbecue in the backyard, toxic (yes, carcinogenic) fumes rise and collect in the apts of their neighbors who live above. The grills are often on for hours.

Barbecue fumes are a real health hazard! People who use grills in the city -- especially in brownstone backyards where there is little ventilation between buildings -- should use them briefly and immediately turn them off after cooking.

Re: Toxic barbecue fumes from backyard grills

If your building has adequate ventilation, I wouldn't worry. I doubt this is more dangerous than the exhaust from the thousands of cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles currently on our streets.
    www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Toxic barbecue fumes from backyard grills

Yes! The worst of it is the lighter fluid fumes that start the whole thing off. They get so bad in my apartment that I sometimes have to leave, or suffer a headache. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's very strong. I've called 311 but they tell me there is no regulation of outdoor fires in NYC for cooking. Seems odd to me. In an area where people live so closely together, it would seem we need to make some concessions, like not smoking each other out. I hate to sound like, and am NOT one of those people who complains about every little sound or smell (go live in Montana if you don't like city life!), but this is one thing that's tough to get around. I can close my window, but by the time I smell the lighter fluid, it's too late. Can't keep them closed all the time - so I endure, or leave for an hour.
      Buy LOCAL, non-franchise!

Comment

Working...
      X