D' Agostino Closing Saturday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D' Agostino Closing Saturday

Well, it's a hike but certainly worth checking out: the new Trader Joe's at 14th street between 3rd and 4th Avenues. Something Manhattan has never had before. Wait a week or so: it just opened and there are often lines now just to get in the door....but the bargains will amaze you. Fresh produce, and all sorts of snacks and prepared foods, their own brands....

Comment

I sent an E-mail to D'ag's via their website for customer comments. The email was returned to me by the postmaster stating that sender refused to accept it. I opened the attachment to review what I had written. Mostly it was a compliment to D'agostino and wondered why all the secrecy in their method of closing. To my surprise, the E-mail had been read and then forwarded to andy@htinfo.com It was Andy who returned it to sender. What goes on?
      Incidently, Ben and Jerrys on 23rd street between 7th and 8th Avenue,had a "closed" sign on their door on Sunday. Are they, too, planning a sudden departure?

Comment

Originally posted by leonaw
        To my surprise, the E-mail had been read and then forwarded to andy@htinfo.com It was Andy who returned it to sender. What goes on? Incidently, Ben and Jerrys on 23rd street between 7th and 8th Avenue,had a "closed" sign on their door on Sunday. Are they, too, planning a sudden departure?
        If you look up the domain name in that email address "htinfo.com" (http://whois.sc/htinfo.com) it turns out that it's owned by a company called Home Town Marketing in Minnesota. Looks like they must be D'agostino's web design and management company. It's very strange that someone at D'ags would get a customer complaint and forward it to their web design company! I'd say maybe you should try sending it one more time - and let us know what happens. I'd love to see their response!

Originally posted by Northview
        Curious, that the only explanation Dag offered was to send people to this website. How'd that happen?
        Sounds like you must have gotten here by doing a Google search. I know D'ags is certainly not sending people to this site! If you search on anything with "D'agostino" and "close" or "closed" in it - this site is coming up first. Which is as it should be - since we, thanks to our member Andrew, were the first to say anything on the web about D'agostino closing. I have to say, Google picked up on it really fast!

Comment

Originally posted by leonaw
          Incidently, Ben and Jerrys on 23rd street between 7th and 8th Avenue,had a "closed" sign on their door on Sunday. Are they, too, planning a sudden departure?
          I can confirm that Ben & Jerry's is in fact Open. Funny you mentioned it here because I was reading this before I went out and I was going by there and stopped in and asked the guy about it. He said they weren't closing and that he works there by himself during the early part of the day and sometimes puts a Closed sign on the door so he can get all the supplies sorted out.

As far as Sunday - I don't know. Maybe they're closed on Sunday's usually? Anyway, I asked him if they were going to stay open and he said yes.

Comment

No google search. Saturday afternoon we're walking past Dag's and there in the window was a handwritten note referring people to this very website. Looking at the same window today, the note has been removed. Could be someone at D'ag digs your site. Neat, huh?

Comment

Cool! Maybe someone at D'ag wanted people to have more information. And clearly someone else didn't!

Comment

I didn't find out until today--can't believe it. It was definitely the best regular grocery store around. I guess I'll try Gristedes again, or maybe Whole Foods, if I can bring myself to fight the crowds.

More on Dag closing at Curbed blog (w/ comments): http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/...ket_closes.php

Comment

Originally posted by Northview
                  "War of the Pharmacies".
                  Modifying what Andy Warhol said..."Everyone will work at a Starbucks or a Duane Read for 15 minutes".

Comment

Great comment! 15 minutes! I would just like to say this. I'm SO glad D'Agostino's closed and I hope they go out of business. On the other hand - I'm really upset that another grocery store will go missing. The last thing we need is another poorly-run, surly drugstore in the neighborhood! In fact, I can't see that we need another drugstore at all. Geesh!

Anyway, Dagnyc was my first bad memory of New York. When I first moved here, I remember thinking that was the worst grocery store I had ever been to. The people were just so unbelievably rude. The lines terribly long. The prices WAY too high! And the layout of the store was bizarre and the selection was horrible! Geesh. How did they last as long as they did.

So, you know what? I hope they go out of business. And I hope someone there realizes you can only have surly employees but for so long. Just imagine how easy it must have been for Whole Foods to come into the NYC market. All they had to do was offer friendly service, decent products and decent prices. And they do all that while throwing in a good atmosphere to boot. (Although I'm not crazy about the stuff they carry).

But Dag's certainly had it coming. And so does Gristedes if you ask me. What a skanky outfit that is!

Of course with all that said, it's now going to be just that much harder to get to a grocery store. The only advantage Dags had in the neighborhood was that they weren't the corner Deli!

Comment

D'ag, surly help and all, is preferable to skanky *** Grist. on 9th Ave. Sweet Jesus! The help in there often makes me want to go all Soprano on them. Although, to be fair, seems like the constant chatting on cellphone while ringing up a customer(!) has ended. I saw one young woman go completely off on a elderly shopper once, and me, a thoroughly jaded Nu-Yawka', stood there with my jaw dropped, I could not believe...It certainly isn't as bad as it had been. Now if the home office would just brighten it up a bit...

I was in the Grist. on Eighth & 26th late last night, and wonder of wonders, it wasn't bad. It was clean and the help was pleasant.

Off-topic: So no one wants to talk about how Sting, with David Bowie's help, wants to open a titty bar on 21st & 10th, is that right? Sting, a completly irrelevant musician. Popular now only because he practices tantric yoga and has peculiar bedroom habits he shares with that thing of a wife. No way! O, hell no. Not two blocks away from my door they don't.

Comment

and the hits just keep on coming...

http://www.curbed.com/archives/categories/retail.php

Comment

I'm so depressed! Sure, D'Agostino's was no Whole Foods... but next to Gris-skeevy's on 9th Ave, that place was paradise! Every time I go into Gristede's I find another horror story... from the horrible smell in the back by the deli, to the expired cheese, to the miserable cashiers, to the stock guys who consume product off the shelf. At least D'Ags was relatively clean and had a pretty broad selection of products. Looks like it's all about FreshDirect and Whole Foods from now on...

Comment

"Gris-skeevy's"....LOL, x-girl!

Comment

Well, looks like we only have ourselves to blame! For going to Fresh Direct. Here's a quote from the NYT last week about this very subject:

"FreshDirect, the online grocery service, has also made a big impact in the New York area since it opened its Long Island City plant in 2002. The company has about 150,000 customers and takes in about $200 million a year -- as much as 80 percent of it coming from Manhattan, a spokeswoman said.

''FreshDirect is putting a dent into everybody -- a big dent,'' Mr. Sarf said. He estimated that Manhattan grocery shoppers spend $2.1 billion a year."

So how long do you think it'll be before Fresh Direct starts charging sky high prices!? Just wait till more supermarkets close, and they have the whole market pretty much to themselves. Ain't lookin' good kids!

Comment

There's something that needs to be thrown into the mix here-- D'ag has been closing stores-- 3 in less than a year and another closing coming. Some have linked to the curbed.com articles, here's the complete list as well as a link to the New York Times article, printed just a week ago:

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/oute...ges/67438.html Bklyn
                                http://www.curbed.com/archives/2005/..._foods_man.php

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/...s_the_dust.php Stuy Town

this is ours w/ info from yours truly:
                                http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/...ocery_wars.php Uni Place

And, here is the Time article written before the Chelsea closing was (not) announced. Someone might want to get in touch with that NYT reporter (Terry Pristin,) she was very nice, informed, concerned and easy to talk to (and she knew the 'hoods well.)
                                http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...AA0894DE404482

I'm the managing agent for the building that has their University Place store-- been with us for about 20 years and have renewed their lease several times. In our case, D'ag has been completely, 100% unresponsive to our efforts to renew their lease this time (expiring later this year)-- they won't even return out calls-- for months!

Combined with the other recent closings, personally, I don't think the landlords should be assumed to be at fault in (all) these cases. I know we sure aren't in the case of our D'ag, that's for sure. 4 store closings in about a year-- that seems like a lot to me. Of course our store is right near the nexus of the veritable deathstar Whole Foods and Trader Joes/ Food Emporium/ Jefferson Mrkt./ Citerella, etc. And a big Fresh Direct neighborhood as well. That can't help.

Comment

Working...
                                X