How do You Cope with the Noise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do You Cope with the Noise?

For those of you who live with windows facing 23rd St - especially with bedroom windows facing 23rd - what's your best method of coping with the noise?

Personally I'm OK with it most of the time. But sometimes if it gets really bad I'll stick in a pair of earplugs. I discovered those earplugs at the airport awhile back -- the really soft squishy ones -- and they're really comfortable -- even to sleep in.

A friend of mine turns on some noise generating device in his apartment like the tv or stereo. Although it seems to me like that kind of defeats the purpose.

Other friends say they're just used to it and it doesn't really bother them much. How about you? How do you cope?

Re: How do You Cope with the Noise?

We feel your pain. We live facing 30th next to 9th, also known as the tunnel outlet. Besides the traffic honks (Which I want to find out about getting a sign on the street making it illegal to honk.) We got contruction galor going on next to below and above us. The ear plugs are great, but where do we get new ones. I couldn't find them easily. I have no real helpfull advice on the noice issue.. I'm trying to deal with it, and look forward to my vacations in the country. I will probably be getting a petition in the future about getting a sign on 30th street (Which is completely residential) making honking illegal. Peace to the Steet.

Comment

Nickles, I know where you can get new earplugs - really easily. Just go to drugstore.com and search on "ear plugs". It'll be the first ones that come up. I had the same problem. They were easy enough to find at the airport, but I couldn't really find them in town. So I resorted to the internet!
      Shirley

Comment

Thanks for tip shirley.

Comment

I use a Ventawash air filter that both washes and humidifies the air. The white noise of the fan acts as a pacifier to my ears, and nowadays I fall asleep to it instantly. Then again, fans have always had this affect on me since a child.

As far as any other noise, I am currently taking a neighbor of mine to mediation. The CDRC downtown is excellent at this. I felt like I was being harrassed as she bangs on her ceiling at various hours of the day and then complains to the landlord who can do nothing about it. I also have found negative notes under my door regarding my vacuuming and other activities that a normal person carries out in their space...the last one I received was after my month-long trip to France....so GO FIGURE?! I couldn't believe how crazy some people get about noise/floor-creaks/etc in the city. I recommended to the landlord that she move (to the corn-fields of Montana if need be) and consider her actions harrassment. If she fails to attend, I am supposed to file an injunction against her which acts as a restraining order where I will be allowed to prosecute if subjected to her outbursts again...what a mess!

C'est la vie...make peace with noise. It is Manhattan. When all else fails, mild sedatives can also be of help.

Comment

Yes, interesting noise reduction method you use there Jonni! I've heard people say white noise like a fan soothes them right off to sleep, I find it just gets on my nerves. Don't know why?

That's a pretty wild story about your neighbor! My upstairs neighbor seems to vacuum every Saturday morning - right over my bedroom. It usually wakes me up - but I figure just like you say - it's Manhattan - so don't worry about it. Plus, other than that they're really quiet. So I'd never think of complaining about simple everyday things people do in their apartment.

Anyway, I completely agree with you - she really has no right to complain about you doing normal things in your apartment - unless of course you do them at 4 in the morning... which I'm sure you don't. It's pretty outrageous she'd give you such a hard time about it. It's not like it's your fault that the floor creaks.

I had a neighbor once complain to me about something along those lines - and the truth was it was the fault of the way the building was built. So I told her that I was sorry but there wasn't a thing in the world I could do about it - if she didn't like it she'd have to complain to the landlord... because ultimately only he could fix it.

Comment

CharlesB - check out the ventawash at B Bath& Beyond. The noise is very faint and the water wash changes the pressure of the air in the room. Other methods to help sleep are 1.) Drinking hot tea (chamomile & other non-caffeinated herbal) which acts to ultimately lower your body temp for sleep. 2.) Take a hot bath - same affect of lowering body temp - epsom salts and lavendar are soothing and make you limber (salt has a drawing quality to remove inflammation) for sleep.

As for the rest...the whole compaint method is simply not the way to go about accomplishing peace or a better night's sleep. She is a nut-job and the landlord is surely not going to sound-proof the apartment floors. Gut renovation would take too much time/cash and he would have to subsidize alternative housing to boot! Her boyfriend recently moved in and the tenants in the apartments around her have noticed that they are arguing incessantly! How could you not in a 375 sq ft studio?!!! It's not meant for 2 people!!!

Bottom line, she is a mess. She burned herself and now she is her own biggest problem. She works a day job and now has to take Thursday morning off to deal with me and the legal entity = even more stress. I am fortunate to have nothing pressing to do right now...not even work a job!

People can be so stupid...and they never know who they are pissing off. Instead of simply putting in ear plugs or alleviating stress and frustration by means of her BF (however she knows how best to release), she decides to complain about something that is beyond both of us...

Comment

Earplugs are not the answer to the noise problem in Chelsea and neither is the idea of "just making peace with it". I have lived in Chelsea for 14 years and have never had a problem with the noise until the neighborhood became a hot spot for Night Clubs. Now, every Saturday night is mayhem in the neighborhood with angry drivers blowing their horns because someone doesn't move fast enough when a light changes. Meanwhile, there might be someone walking in the crosswalk, preventing the driver in front from moving. I am tired of drivers in this city with no patience. It is time to do something about it. We are not second-class citizens just because we choose to live in the city. There are things that can be done, but giving a ticket to one driver will not stop the problem. City dwellers must take it upon themselves to tell our politicians that we will not stand for it and they must do something about the road rage that has taken over in our neighborhoods. There are things that can be done and they must be made to understand that we are tax payers and voters and that we want to take back our streets from the angry drivers who invade our neighborhoods. Education, technology, enforcement and public relations all must play a role if we are return to sense of civility.

Comment

Sorry man. Your idealism is well heeded, but you may want to consider moving to a different neighborhood or out of Manhattan. Those clubs just opened and the great number of them that would need to close to solve your noise problem isn't going to happen. There are very high profile types that have vested interest here. Not even a million letters to Manhattan county representatives will cease the horn noise...unless we reinstate Giuliani and his gestapo (kidding).

Good luck!

Comment

Oooh Jonni - you sound so cynical!! Have you been jaded by city living!? Anyway, I have to say I agree with a lot of what Brian had to say. First, I don't know of any "vested interest" any group has in horn honking. And there are laws against it. So I don't see why a couple of trips to the Community Board Lifestyle committee couldn't help generate some more police enforcement in this area at the really bad times. They actually get action like that taken all the time.

Why should we put up with that noise and chaos just because we've decided to live in the most expensive city in the country - and pay the highest local taxes? Does that make us second-class somehow? For what we pay those cops should be out there right now keeping that noise down on the weekends! And the only reason they're not is because we're not making as much noise as the horn honkers are! If we rubbed a few feathers the wrong way - I bet you we'd see something getting done about it.

I do agree with you Jonni that those clubs aren't going to close. But they don't have to close for there to be some kind of resolution to these problems.
                    Shirley

Comment

Hi BW Penny,

I'm with you !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: How do You Cope with the Noise / Harassment

Hello.

I saw your post about noise / harassment and wanted to know if anyone would be willing to share any information or offer advice about their neighbors. Or hopefully, if anyone has been able to resolve the problem with your neighbor? and if so, how?

I have been having a very similar problem in building. My down stairs neighbor moved in beneath me several years ago and has been harassing and threatening me (along with other tenants). Unfortunately for me, as she lives below me and bangs on the walls and the ceiling (my floor) all night, this is having a very profound and terrible effect on me. She did this in her previous unit and management moved her to the unit beneath me. At first they pretended that this was a new issue and when I came back with a confirmation from her previous neighbors, management admitted this had been a problem but could not revel this as it was a confidentiality issue. Now they are saying that it is impossible to remove a tenant under new york city law.

I can not continue to live this way and the lack of sleep is having a terrible effect on my job, health and overall quality of life.

I am not looking for blame, and I understand that the laws here make this a very difficult issue to resolve. I just want to know what other routes tenants have taken and if there are any protections under the law that have made an improvement? Any luck removing your neighbor who is harassing you? Has anyone moved to avoid harassment from other cooperator? Anything that has helped or any advice?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
                        Thank you,
                        ChelseaResident (penn south resident!)

Comment

I spent two weeks driving around different islands in Hawaii, not understanding the roads and so reading a map when the light turned green, turning from wrong lanes, driving slowly so that I could see street names -- not one person ever honked at me. In NYC you get honked if you don't pick your foot up off the brake one second after the light turns green. Brian, don't ever lose your outrage, or your courage to protest. Without that, nothing ever changes. As for sleeping with 9th avenue nighttime noise, I close all the windows and turn on the air conditioner. If it's winter, just the fan on the air conditioning unit will do. The hum blocks out most of the noise. A garbage truck used to stop in front of my building every morning at around 5:00 a.m. with the radio blaring. I called the company and complained, and they put a stop to it.

Comment

ChelseaR-

I am having a very similar problem, though it is the opposite - my neighbors pound on the floor every night from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. They have two children who run, jump, and stomp across the floors non-stop (really) for at least two hours a night. On two separate occasions, I asked them to stop. They were unreceptive to my complaints and unsympathetic to my situation (and my family's). Because of the stomping, the apartment is uninhabitable from 7 to 10. This is a problem because I work outside of the home during the day and (try to) write at home during the evening.

The banging is truly unbelievable--imagine a child (with lead feet) performing endless cartwheels in the apartment above. The upstairs tenants moved in a few months ago, so this has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. It is important to mention that the previous upstairs tenants had two children as well, around the same age as the current tenants and I never heard them stomping, running, or jumping! The current tenants (the parents) are truly inconsiderate. It seems that they are accustomed to living in a house, where no one resides on a lower level. It is so bad that my elderly mother needs to blast the television when the stomping commences. And my spouse has stopped reading from 7 to 10!

I have contacted managment and they called the tenants in for a meeting. The noise level diminished for a few days after the meeting but returned to previous levels the following week. Management has now told me to work with security to create a log of the offenses. We have been working with security almost daily. Slowly, we are building a case against these people.

Are there any parents on this blog? Can you give us any advice? It seems to me that children should run, stomp and jump in the playground in front of our building, and not on the floors of a poorly constructed apartment. Does anyone have any advice? We have consulted a lawyer, but that would be regarding a civil suit for damages (making the apartment uninhabitable).

Comment

Ouch, loltun! That sounds like a horrible problem to have to deal with.

I'm not a parent, but I agree with you--there's no reason a child should be stomping around like that in the apartment. Kids don't always realize how much noise they're making and they do like to jump around, but the parents should know better. I do have apartment-dwelling friends with children, and they all have strict rules about letting their kids make noise in the apartment and hallway. Indoor voice vs. Outdoor voice and such. Anyway, in this case, once it's been called to the parents' attention, there's no reason why they shouldn't curb their kids' behavior.

It sounds as though your management is taking this very seriously. If they're following up on this, IMHO the best thing to do is sit back and let them handle it for now. If they're have security document the issue every day and are building a case, they're probably trying to make sure any eviction proceedings they may take against these tenants will have a strong basis. That doesn't help you in the meantime, I know. I hope it's resolved soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X