X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shish Kebab guy (23rd/8th)

Originally posted by jmedwick View Post
    Where are all the green Al Gore folks?

A cloud of charcoal smoke is ok but an idling bus with engine exhaust would cause a mass protest.

Seems hypocritical.
    The vendors do not use charcoal. They use natural gas, a very clean fuel. The fumes are not from the fuel, but from the meat cooking. And this has to do with food production, not driving a hummer for the fun of it. No green person is against eating, that I know of, although some extremist might believe in only raw foods, who knows. Believing in being green is about minimizing the harm to the environment, not banning eating and the cooking of food which is a necessity.

An idling bus would put out much less exhaust than 50 or so autos, so I have no problem with that.

Comment

I don't know. Pretty sure he's got bags of charcoal piled up next to his cart.

Comment

has anyone called Christine Quinn's office about this guy?

He's now got carpet laid out and a price-list sign. His customers use the planters in front of 300w23 as picnic tables.
        Attached Files

Comment

Why shouldn't he have a price list? Let the guy make a living will ya...I have walked by his cart several times and have never noticed an overwhelming smell or throngs of people eating at the planters, or charcoal sitting outside his cart, etc. Give him a break.

I suppose all street carts should be removed from the streets. They all stink you know, burning meat and nuts, things like that. While we are at it, lets get rid of newspaper stands. After all, they take up sidewalk space and the papers and magazines they sell pollute the environment. Next we can go after sidewalk cafes as the patrons make noise and the smell of food wafts up to apartments, etc. Then we can move on to the gay bars. People leaving them make noise and on the streets there is homosexual kissing, hand holding, etc. which upsets some people...

Comment

I'm shocked at this post!.....
            actually.... I'm not

You people railing against the kabab man on the corner should think before you act. Trying to have him investigated could easily cost him his license or even have him fined. Did anyone stop to think about the HUMAN BEING that rents this cart??? This man is most likely trying to support a family, works very hard, long hours with no benefits to speak of, and probably wasn't afforded all of the luxuries in life most of us have taken for granted.

This June marked my 20th year living in Chelsea, and I've seen transitions both good and bad. What shocks me is that people used to come to New York to enjoy all the diversity, and cultures, yet people today just don't "get it" and are too shallow to look beyond meaningless things like a little smoke from a street vendor.

Comment

...people used to come to New York to enjoy all the diversity, and cultures, yet people today just don't "get it"...
              Amen, jbetters. I have composed and then deleted about three messages for this blog expressing a similar thought, but you said it better than I would have. I believe that stamping a guy like this out of business is far more anti-social than his smoke.

Comment

Not just the Shish -ka-bob guy is annoying-- the restaurant Patsy's pizza italian has a smoke stack in the back of rest'rnt that goes to the roof. It spews black smoke twice-a day ; 10:30AM and 4;30PM. it has been doing this over two years and I'm in a building very near there; the wind wafts' the smoke over into some of our windows and we have the pleasure of smelling it our apt's! Filed a complaint with EPA and they said it was an APPROVED smokestack!! This sucks! LR

Comment

This June marked my 20th year living in Chelsea, and I've seen transitions both good and bad. What shocks me is that people used to come to New York to enjoy all the diversity, and cultures, yet people today just don't "get it" and are too shallow to look beyond meaningless things like a little smoke from a street vendor.
                  J....so true.

I came here in the mid-1970's when the city was MUCH worse ....crime-wise, dirt wise....etc. People didn't complain half as much as this "new newbie" influx. They would not have survived 5 minutes.

People moved to NYC for the way it WAS, not to change it to be like the suburbs they LEFT. If you want to live in a bubble, stay there and ride around in your car all day. Why live somewhere you cannot or will not adjust to?

When I read some of these posts, I am reminded of a line from Sex & the City...

"New York is over....O...V...E...R..."

Comment

Originally posted by minnie-me View Post
                    J

"New York is over....O...V...E...R..."

It's the pathetic wannabe S&TC-ers that made New York so over

Comment

It's the pathetic wannabe S&TC-ers that made New York so over
                      Vidis...that's only been the past 8 years or so.

Sorry, but you're way too young to know.

Comment

That's really kind of you to think I'm a youngin', but I'm an original NYer, and been alive in town three (gasp) and a half decades...eeck...

Comment

Well, now that I have had my windows open and and am home all day (laid off), it is a bit annoying. Chop, chop, chop of the spatula for five or six hours a day gets pretty annoying. The cooking smell only occasionally wafts up to my apartment on the 3rd floor. No big deal, I guess. But they have to have the dirtiest and ugliest cart I have ever seen. The two umbrellas are filthy, the roof of it is filthy, they have stuff on top, they have bits of perforated Masonite stacked on the one side, a dirty outdoor carpet and a plastic sheet clipped to the awning. There is a rolled up something holding the plastic sheet to the carpet, the plastic trash can is cracked and filthy. I have never seen a food cart so disheveled and dirty looking. I am a bit surprised that they are allowed to park in front of a residential building and it's probably the tightest spot in the four corners of the intersection... There's no hardship in expecting an entrepreneur to clean and keep their establishment tidy looking. Plus the grease stains on the sidewalk...

Comment

You all do know that after his DAY is done each day...he leaves an OILY STENCH on the pavement..that is truly disgusting---GET RID of him! LR

Comment

Ya know what Vidis Darling...I have to agree with you to a point. SHOCK!

The past 8 yrs or so have shown a major change in the city...unlike any I've seen before. People wise, construction wise, rent wise and most disturbing to me, culturally. The artistically vibrant community is gone, they cannot afford to move here anymore.

Not to mention the job market going down the toilet after 9/11.

And in all fairness....I think every generation resents when "the newbies" move into town and their neighborhood changes. It happened in the 50's with the beatniks, the 60's with the hippies, whites displacing minorities, the younger displacing the elder, neighborhoods gentrifying. I suppose it's the nature of the beast.

I guess what puzzles me is why move here now at all? If I were a young'un again I sure wouldn't. Not to the city it is now. Who needs all the hassles when you could most likely do what you want, make a good living and have a better quality of life for half the cost somewhere else? Back then, lots of folks moved here because they were in arts and this was the place to be. There were still cheap apartments and jobs they could work so they put up with all the BS. And they grew to love NYC for the good things...or they left.

But I still think NYC was O...V...E...R.. way before that.

Comment

new york, i've never heard of it, did they just invent it?

Comment

Working...
                                X