Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shish Kebab guy (23rd/8th)

Originally posted by marcusny View Post
    I think we all have to remember that this guy is trying to make a living. Should he be pushed out of every neighborhood he tries to sell in? What are his options? Just something to think of before we decide to throw someone out of the neighborhood due to dislike of a smell that is transitory. How many smells of the city are a bit offensive? Should we scrub this city clean and be some bland midwestern city with nothing offensive? Some of these complaints border on autocratic.

This is his business and although the smoke can be annoying, I have never been offended by it. I suppose if I was a vegetarian I might be, but this is a city full of all types of people and one group, or view, should not rule all.
    I agree. Point very well taken. I see both sides of it. The smell is an annoyance, not a public health issue. The man has a right to make a living; the residents who live above him should be able to open their windows without being overwhelmed by an annoying smell or having it permeate their apartments. So what do you do? Which is more important? The man's livelihood, surely, but I am sure that most people want to be able to enjoy their residences, too.

Perhaps there's a middle ground here: the Kebab truck can stay, but measures are taken to contain the smoke and the smell, if that is at all possible? It might be. There's another Kebab vendor who sets up by the clubs on 10th avenue and 28th, and you really don't smell anything unless you're walking right by the cart.

Comment

I don't mean to be mean, but one, there are other things he could sell that don't make such a stink, like hot dogs. And two, he could always get some kind of other job. There are times in life when people for one reason or another have to change jobs. So I don't see that he has some universal right to do whatever he wants for work even if it really irritates tons of people.

Comment

It's not so easy to up and change jobs as some might think, especially in NYC. I have friends with advanced degrees who can't find work. The job market is extremely rough out there for everyone, and being a vendor is respectable, hard work.

The smell is annoying, but it's not a public health hazard, it doesn't cause damage or put anyone in danger, and it is not fair to put someone out of work simply because you find them annoying. Unless you're going to be sitting at the corner for extended periods of time, it's not even going to be a constant annoyance. Is the five minutes you are annoyed by the smell worth taking away someone's livelihood, the way they pay their rent and feed their family?

I still think that working with the vendor to try to contain the smell would be the best way to go. If there's smoke spewing into the air, that could be a health hazard and violates some ordinance or another, and that could be addressed on its own.

Comment

No, I'm not saying let's put him out of work as the first course of action. I think he could try selling other things first. And I agree with you Alexis, as a pedestrian - even though it kills me, it's only for a few seconds so I wouldn't complain about that. But I was thinking about the people who live near him. If I lived there and had that smoke wafting into my apartment constantly I would have to consider moving... because it's really horrible.

If they can make smoking illegal in public places because of the way it annoys so many people, I really think they should be able to make this illegal because it likewise annoys a lot of people and it's worse than cigarette smoke. There should be a law that you can't do things that make horrendous public odors. He certainly has a right to work but I'm not sure he should have a right to do a kind of work that produces such an offensive odor that the people who live nearby have to put up with constantly.

The thing is - he's a street vendor. He's not in a career called "shish kebobs" he's in a career called street vending. And I think there are many other things he could sell without being put out of business.

Comment

But smoking in public places isn't banned because it's annoying; it's banned because of the many documented health risks posed by secondhand smoke. It's a quality of health issue, not a quality of life one. It has been decided that non-smokers' right to clean air is more important than a smoker's right to support his or her cigarette addiction.

I don't like foul odors any more than anyone else. How would we apply a law like that, though? And how do we decide what is foul and what isn't? Every day I get on the subway and sit next to people who obviously haven't showered or forgot the deodorant that morning. Or they've doused themselves in strong aftershave. That offends me and is unpleasant. It's still not going to hurt me to move away.

Back to the vendor, though. The smoke is an issue, and if I lived there, I'd be upset about it too. The vendor could take efforts to contain it, as others do, and that might be something those residents could bring to 311 or whoever. Since the NYPD is out there harassing and ticketing the nice fruit stand owner all the time, I'm surprised the SK guy hasn't been ticketed for the smoke.

Comment

OMG! People who stink need to be jailed! The other day at the gym I had to switch machines 3 times because of 3 different individuals who stank!

A lot of Athenians stink terribly, and when I lived in Greece I made little cards with a picture of a deodorant stick, and a caption underneath it that said in Greek "Smell? Try it!", and I used to place them next to the offenders. One time an old lady was standing on a crowded bus with her sleeveless arm up holding the strap - the stench was deadly!

Smokers are the worst and I often say stop smoking to them if I'm walking by and they blow smoke around me. My view is if they wanna have the right to pollute my air, I should have the right to tell them how I feel about it.

All my life I was taught to go out of my way to stay out of the way (of other people) and be super respectful, obviously a lot of people missed that lesson growing up.

Motorcycles with revving engines, smokers, dog walkers who don't pick up their pets stuff, parents letting their kids scream and cry in public, I could even go as far as mentioning rude people on sidewalks walking in groups and don't have the courtesy to step aside and let one person pass - or those who stand in groups smack center in the middle of the sidewalk - what are they thinking? They all deserve tickets!

The shish kebab guy can take better measures to exhaust his smoke (where did he all of a sudden come from anyway and how did he get such prime real esate?), and being a vegetarian, I am really disgusted by it as I go to that corner often for the pet and liquor stores ;-).

Comment

You can smell the shish kebab smoke in our elevator (300 W23rd), the building he stands in front of. And also my hair wreaks of it every time I walk by him. But this is not a complaint. I would much rather smell that then the stench of trash that usually wafts on our corner in the summer time. Or the smell of urine or the homeless who hang out in that same spot. I am usually offended by those horrible smells, but the smoke does not offend me at all. Plus, one time walking by him I dropped an important card out of my pocket and had he not run to pick it up for me it would have been lost. So keep in mind at least he is a nice guy.

Comment

I don't want to drive anyone out of business, but I must say I got nauseated from eating that shiskebob.
                  Bellgaio
                  Jo Sea Enterprises
                  www.joseavideo.blogspot.com

Comment

I have obtained the new Mobile Food Vendor Permit which includes the NY City Dept of Health and Mental Hygiene Checklist from the NYC Licensing Center.

Shish Guy is in violation of a requirements for "Processing Trucks" which states that "grills, deep fryers, souvlaki spits, etc MUST HAVE HOODS of sufficient size directly above them. The hood must be equipped with grease filters, a motor driven exhaust fan...etc, etc.

Obviously our shish kebab pal does not have this equipment and is stinking up the entire block.

I have reported this to Councilwoman Christine Quinn's office and am awaiting a response.

I suggest that the rest of you contact her office and file a complaint as well before the weather gets a lot warmer and more humid and the cloud of shiska stink gets more acrid.

Her office number is: 212-564-7757

Comment

Too bad u posted today as I saw her just yesterday at the democratic club fundraiser BBQ-- oh well too late now

Comment

it's not too late.

j

Comment

It's not too late to call momjo!

Comment

is he still there???

did anyone else call?

the health dept?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesB View Post
                              No, I'm not saying let's put him out of work as the first course of action. I think he could try selling other things first. And I agree with you Alexis, as a pedestrian - even though it kills me, it's only for a few seconds so I wouldn't complain about that. But I was thinking about the people who live near him. If I lived there and had that smoke wafting into my apartment constantly I would have to consider moving... because it's really horrible.

If they can make smoking illegal in public places because of the way it annoys so many people, I really think they should be able to make this illegal because it likewise annoys a lot of people and it's worse than cigarette smoke. There should be a law that you can't do things that make horrendous public odors. He certainly has a right to work but I'm not sure he should have a right to do a kind of work that produces such an offensive odor that the people who live nearby have to put up with constantly.

The thing is - he's a street vendor. He's not in a career called "shish kebobs" he's in a career called street vending. And I think there are many other things he could sell without being put out of business.
                              Who are you to decide what someone should sell or not sell? Just like you have your choice of what to do, so does and should he. Suppose you sold leather goods and the vegans thought you were disgusting. Suppose this was your family trade for generations. I suppose with your way of thinking this person should go and sell something different because it offends some people. No way. This is a free country, not some autocratic state. The man should sell what he wants as long as he has the proper permits and it is legal.

On the other hand, I can understand people who live at the corner might not want the smoke going into their apartments. That is a bit tougher. I suppose it all depends on how much smoke is going out and when.

Comment

Where are all the green Al Gore folks?

A cloud of charcoal smoke is ok but an idling bus with engine exhaust would cause a mass protest.

Seems hypocritical.

Comment

Working...
                                X