Shish Kebab guy (23rd/8th)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shish Kebab guy (23rd/8th)

Is that shish kebab guy on the SW corner of 23rd/8th new?
    Those carts are disgusting, and he stinks up the entire street with smoke all over the place, and even downstairs in the subway too.
    Someone needs to get that guy a chimney!

Re: Shish Kebab guy (23rd/8th)

I totally agree with you Vidis. I hate the burnt smell from those carts. I'm always amazed they're allowed to exist while pumping out such a horrendous odor.

Comment

Vidis, Jonathon:

You guys are sooo spot on! The stench is awful! I actually cross from the east side of 23rd, or 22nd Street even, walk up to 23rd east side of avenue, then cross from the Gap side over to the BBQ side, just so I can avoid having to pass that "Stinky Cart."

Yuck!

Comment

,,,the shish kebab stand on the SW corner of 23rd/8th has got to go. It stinks up the neighborhood for blocks. A lot of my stores are on that block and I'm having a real problem with the smoke and smell which carries for several blocks. What can be done about this -- he needs to leave the area(?)(!)

Comment

Last night I called 311 and they put me in touch with DEP and I registered a complaint basically saying that neighbors are offended by the overbearing smoke coming from the cart and we request to have it investigated.
          If anybody wants to voice their concern too, you can refer to #1896891
          Thanks!

Comment

thank u, Vidis, I will do -- hope others will too -- the more the better --

311 (refer to #1896891)

Comment

I got a message yesterday from a guy that said he was from "311" and updating me on my complaint. He said it's Wednesday afternoon and the shish kebab guy wasn't there, so he was going to close the case.
              Does anybody know exactly what time he works, and on what days?
              Thanks!

Comment

It's Thursday, 5/22/08, 5:15 pm and I just saw the shish kebab stand on 23rd and 8th (SW corner).

Comment

Wasn't it raining Wednesday afternoon? Why would 311 to check on something OUTDOORS? Obviously the shish kebab guy's not gonna be standing out there. Duh!
                  I will call again.

Comment

OMG! I was at 23rd and 8th today waiting to cross the street. The stench from the S-K Cart's acrid smoke was so bad I could hardly stand it! And even though I only stood there for about a minute, my hair and clothes smelled like it after I left the immediate area! I really sympathize with anyone who's living right near there.

Comment

I think we all have to remember that this guy is trying to make a living. Should he be pushed out of every neighborhood he tries to sell in? What are his options? Just something to think of before we decide to throw someone out of the neighborhood due to dislike of a smell that is transitory. How many smells of the city are a bit offensive? Should we scrub this city clean and be some bland midwestern city with nothing offensive? Some of these complaints border on autocratic.

This is his business and although the smoke can be annoying, I have never been offended by it. I suppose if I was a vegetarian I might be, but this is a city full of all types of people and one group, or view, should not rule all.

Comment

you make an excellent point, Marcusny and is well-taken. I considered that very problem. This is an issue that's hard to solve. I want to pose a problem that is serious (I'm certainly not comparing it to the Shish Kebab stand annoyance factor), but it popped into my mind. What do we do about the pedophiles who have to live someplace? No neighborhood, understandably, wants them. There are people who make the point that they have to live someplace. I hope you realize I am not being sarcastic or facetious. Also, I just read somewhere about a church on upper Park Ave. that is having many functions which are drawing crowds of noisy people gathering as well as traffic build-up in their neighborhood. The Park Avenue crowd are very upset about this and suggest the church functions be held in Chelsea instead.

Comment

I just found the article on the church and Park Avenue neighbors in tussle over noise:

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/church...le-over/76857/

Comment

well today I saw him-- It's memorial day- He does stink up the block

Comment

I live at that corner on the third floor in the second apartment from the corner, so I am almost above him. I thought it was an odd place to pick to set up shop, but it hasn't bothered me. However, I have not had my windows open yet while he was there...

Comment

Working...
                              X