Incinerator smoke?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incinerator smoke?

Does anyone have insight into the periodic blasts of gray and black smoke that emanate from a stack on top of 317-321 W. 21st St.? I live on the south side of W. 22nd, and when the wind blows north, I'm treated to an unsightly cloud that (only occasionally, to be fair) forces me to shut windows.

Incinerators have been illegal for some years, but I believe exemptions are sometimes granted. Just wondering if this building has one...

Re: Incinerator smoke?

There are also other buildings doing that. Almost every day when sitting on the roof garden of our building, I see blasts of black smoke from 2 Horatio. I have no idea why they do it. Maybe we should talk to 311 and ask.
    roby2000

Comment

Oh Yes, boy do we know it too. We live on 23rd btwn' 8th and 9th and there has been TIMED smoke 10:30AM and 4:30PM smoke burning trash coming in our apts. for over a year and a half. I had to call 311..one point had police come, I had to make a formal complaint: An investigator from Dept. of Environmental protection Agency came..looked and found to be a(Can I name names?) restaurant had a LEGAL incinerator running, (Was told this type was LEGAL !! Can you believe it! So my case with them is still open, but this whole thing is atrocious..smell of burning trash in the air, because we get anEastward-blowing wind. OUTRAGEOUS, I say! but I was supposed to talk with a Supervisor, but they never called me back. This is beyond frustrating, We all need to band together somehow and stop this burning smell. Any other thoughts?? thx in advance, ILoveModern1960

Comment

317-19-21 west 21st doesn't have an incinerator, and the furnace, as far as I know, is gas, which surely shouldn't belch black smoke (it's a fairly new furnace/hot water system, I think it went in two summers ago or maybe three.) Of course, I'm not so sure we have a smoke stack, either, but I haven't been on the roof in years. You might want to go over and ask the super. Could it be PS11 which is across 21st Street?

As for belching black smoke, you should have been around when they heated it with coal, which wasn't so long ago!

I personally find the low-frequency hum (throbbing) that pervades the neighborhood from time to time (I think it's a D) both annoying and impossible to actually locate, and there are plenty of people who don't hear it at all.

EKV

Comment

Well, thanks for the info, EKV, but I'm fairly certain it's 317-321. There's so little distance between the back of our building and the back of yours that's there's really no mistaking it.
          Perhaps I'll check with the super (or the managing agent).
          Regards,
          Adam

Comment

Roby/Modern/EKV-

Thanks again for the responses, but I most confess to weak investigative skills.
            Turns out it was 315 W. 21st all along...

I've moved on to a new bete noir: strange petrochemical smells that I think are coming from one of the local construction sites. Ick!

Comment

Working...
            X