Emergency Heating Truck W.22nd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Heating Truck W.22nd

In the middle of the block on 22nd St between 8/9th aves, there has been an emergency heating truck parked and used for over two months for a building being renovated. The truck actually has a fence around it and some type of pipe over the sidewalk to provide oil heat for the building.

Every week the truck leaks oil and spills into the gutter.

There have been fire trucks to the building a number of times and I know a number of neighbors including myself have call 311 and yet nothing is happening.
    Why is this landlord allowed to continue using this emergency truck? The neighbors adjacent to the building have to also put up with the constant fumes.
    The truck owners say it's not their problem as the truck doesn't leak, the spills happen when the truck is refilled with fuel. (a different company)

Any suggestions?

Re: Emergency Heating Truck W.22nd

Hey Bob... interesting story. You should take a picture and post it here. I love the way nothing is ever anybody's fault! I would think the leaking of oil must be a serious violation of some environmental regulations. Have you asked 311 how to get in touch with the environmental agencies? Other than that, they probably have a permit to be there as long as they need to be.

Comment

Thanks. Good idea.
      I also called the 13th precient community officer today.

Other photos at
      http://picasaweb.google.com/W.22ndSt...ngTruckW22ndSt

Comment

You might also want to call Chelsea Now, The Chelsea-Clinton News, The Villager, etc. And also call Christine Quinn's office.

Comment

I did notify Chelsea Now. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Chelsea Now has been very responsive in trying to solve this problem.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS, BOB! The new issue of "Chelsea Now (March 7 - 13) has an article about this, though I haven't read it yet. Good Community Work there, Bob!

Comment

There was a film crew doing a story on it Thursday, Friday the truck was gone but this morning it's back. ????

http://www.chelseanow.com/cn_76/squeaky22nd.html

Comment

I contacted Chelsea Now again to advise the truck is back.
                  The sanitation is fining the owner whenever oil spills so please call 311 and advise the sanitation dept. needs to clean up the spill and issue a summons.

Comment

While I agree completely with this approach, the owner probably just considers the fines (if they're even paid - eventually) and any associated hassles a "cost-of-doing-business" that's somehow deductable and will help in getting tax abatements or other rewards. Not that I'm cynical or anything...

Comment

Working...
                    X