Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clearview Chealsea West

Originally posted by alexismckinnon View Post
    And...um...what will happen to Rocky Horror???

And Hedda Lettuce!

Comment

This week's Chelsea Now has an article about the switchover to SVA:

http://chelseanow.com/cn_78/svaquietlyfinding.html

Comment

Thanks for posting the Chelsea Now article Rob. In reading it through, I must concur with others I've spoken with, as well as some of my friends in the nabe.

Having a venue particularly one that will provide the SVA film school with a chance to show its films to the public at large (I hope), makes me smile. I for one have always loved avant garde cinema and student films anyway. They can not only be quite entertaining, but the talent some of these students is remarkable and can be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

So again I say, BRAVO SVA...I'm glad you're branching out to our neck of the woods. Welcome!

Comment

So far, I'm loving the new crimson paint job.

Comment

I think it's ugly- We the cooperator will not get anything out of it either. I always prefer a business on the premises that we can use. What I am mad about is that the co=op loaned visual arts the money so they can make this happen

Comment

We already have a very good cinema. Two, in fact, within walking distance. I love having the arts in our community. Just because you can't pick up a loaf of bread there, you can't say we don't get positive things out of the Joyce or the Atlantic. It takes all kinds of things to make a community.

If really want to get specific about it, the builders of the co-op are the ones who had a big hand in destroying the community to begin with. We can't even calculate the number of stores and restaurants that were torn down to put in those towers, lawns, and mini parks. And now here we are desperate for new grocery stores and wishing new institutions served us personally a little more. If the neighborhood still was the way it was, we'd have enough.

Comment

Originally posted by momjo View Post
                I think it's ugly- We the cooperator will not get anything out of it either. I always prefer a business on the premises that we can use. What I am mad about is that the co=op loaned visual arts the money so they can make this happen
                I welcome a Visual Arts theater in our neighborhood. It will definitely add character to the area.

In addition, I think the paint job on the building is a big plus. They got it exactly right in my opinion. I love the way they blocked the two colors and their choice of teracotta and that shade of blue/teal is exactly right. The teracotta picks up the color of the surrounding brick and the blue, the sky. I feel, esthetically, it enhances 23rd and 24th street tremendously and it's right for Visual Arts.

Now I wish the residential building that used to house D'AGS (I can't think of the name of the building at the moment), would do the same. The back of that building facing W. 24th Street is an eyesore, with the concrete, not brick, drab, unfinished look construction. It looks like an institution and is a big downer to W. 24th. Depressing, actually -- shocking, too, since the residence is high-price and up scale.

Comment

Working...
                X