Clearview Chealsea West

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearview Chealsea West

Anyone know what's happening with Chealsea West theater? I passed it yesterday and they were closed and a sign saying "Thanks for 11 years of patronage"

Re: Clearview Chealsea West

I noticed yesterday when I was checking movie times online that it was no longer listed on Clearview Cinema's website. I guessed that it was either closed for remodel (which it needed) or else, just closed.

Comment

Maybe we'll be lucky and get a Duane Reade or a bank branch in there. Or a nail salon!

Comment

Originally posted by retiringuy View Post
        Maybe we'll be lucky and get a Duane Reade or a bank branch in there. Or a nail salon!
        Or maybe all three in another oversized, over-priced, poorly constructed mega-story glass box, if we're really lucky!!

Comment

i read somewhere a few weeks ago that it had been bought by the School of Visual Arts and will remain some sort of theater... i'll try to find the link and post it.

Comment

I found the below comment in this forum:

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/2097/

"Not closed for good but closed for better. The School of Visual Arts will be taking over the theater and turning it into a two-screen arts center with the best projection in town including 70, 35, 16 and D-Cinema. 52 foot and 38 foot screens with proper masking and variable speed projection. Even better news coming soon. Stay tuned."

Comment

Thanks for that, bluesky! I'm happy to hear it will be remaining a theater and won't turn into another Starbucks. It's a nice little place. I'm sort of surprised that it closed, to be honest...isn't that one of the theaters that is always used for premieres?

Comment

The Clearview (Chelsea) West, desperately needed an extreme overhaul. So, I'm really glad and agree with everyone here, that it's a good no...a great thing, that they have spared our nabe of yet another useless clone of what is already so pervasive around here. Cheers to SVA for doing the right thing. More "Arts" oriented venues, are always a plus to any neighborhood.

Comment

This is a great surprise to me because I was just thinking the other night as I walked by it how ramshackle it is and I can't believe they use it for major premiers - kinda embarrassing really. Little did I know it was being closed for repairs and will be kept for something artful. Thanks for the good news!

Comment

As I walked by the theatre today I noticed it was closed and the sign taken off the outside. The first thing I thought of was, "I will go on Chelsea.clickyourblock.com and find out why, or post about it". That is what is great about this site, I know I will find an answer. I think it is great that SVA is taking it over instead of some big box store.

Comment

What a relief! i immediately assumed it would be some soul-less bank, big box retailer, or something similar.

Comment

The movie theater is owned by Penn South. The latest newsletter says SVA signed a 26 year lease.

Comment

Sounds like Chelsea Cinemas may also be changing, maybe into a hotel. Best quote, "It's a strange corridor."

"The theater [Clearview] is just one block away from its busier, Clearview sister theater, Chelsea Cinemas at 260 West 23rd Street, between Seventh and Eighth avenues.

That theater could also close soon. A hotelier is in contract to buy the nine-screen cinema, according to Faith Hope Consolo, chairman of the retail leasing and sales division at Prudential Douglas Elliman, who is working with the hotelier.

Consolo would not reveal the identity of the developer or the asking price for the space, which is owned by Mutual Redevelopment Houses Inc. She said her client is interested in building a boutique hotel of up to 10 stories, hoping to capitalize on the gallery-going crowd. "

http://ny.therealdeal.com/articles/n...treet/comments

Comment

That's REALLY upsetting. I go there several times a month. That means the closest first-run movie theaters will be at 34th street or Union Square. That just stinks. I miss Chelsea.......

Comment

Because of course there aren't any hotels on 23rd street at all already, and putting a third one on the same city block won't be oversaturation at all...

And...um...what will happen to Rocky Horror???

Comment

Working...
                              X