Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mare Seafood Throws my Jacket into Garbage!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mare Seafood Throws my Jacket into Garbage!

Last Sunday night I had dinner at Mare Seafood - on 8th Ave and 20th St. The food was alright. The service was better. But, I left my jacket there. The next day - Monday - I called about mid-afternoon and spoke to someone who said he did think they picked up a jacket but it was locked up in the manager's office and I wouldn't be able to get it until the next day - Tuesday - when they manager came back to work.

The next day I went by fairly early - around 11:00 a.m. I ran into the waiter who had served me Sunday night and he remembered me and said he did indeed pick up my jacket, and now the manager had it. The manager comes out and started to look around for it. He couldn't find it anywhere. He stopped and thought for a minute, and then he looked into the garbage can behind the bar. He stuck his hand down in it and out he pulled my jacket!

I was relieved to see it again and it wasn't messed up - because someone had just changed the garbage bag and the jacket was the only thing that was in it.

I just cringe though to think what if I had shown up 10 or 15 minutes later? The thing that got me really ticked off is that the manager not only didn't apologize, he didn't even look remotely bothered by the fact that someone had thrown it into the garbage - which I now suspect was him. I think it must have been him because the day before the guy told me on the phone that it was locked in the manager's office and I couldn't pick it up until the manager came back to work.

I asked him why someone would have thrown it in the garabage and he said "because no one claimed it". I told him I called and claimed it over the phone the day before and he just shurgged his shoulders like "oh well". I just thought what a shoddy and disrespectful way to treat a customer. I have a feeling the manager/owner(?) came in the next day and took the jacket out of his office and threw it away himself. When I walked in and asked about the jacket he looked a little startled and started scrambling. I'm just thinking why would he have thought to look in the garbage can if he hadn't put it there himself or if he hand't seen someone put it there? Who would think to look in a garbage can behind the bar for a jacket? They can't be bothered to keep a nice item lost by a customer for more than a a single day?

A genuine, heart-felt apology is all it would have taken to have kept me from posting this here. I understand mistakes can be made. But to make a mistake like that and not to say "I'm sorry", that's just rotten.

Re: Mare Seafood Throws my Jacket into Garbage!

Perhaps that is why I never see many people eating there. Places that treat me or people I know rudely, I avoid. That place has been on my avoid list for some time!

Comment

Actually, I think this place is still owned by the same guy who owns La Belle Vie and Tellos. Belle Vie was good when it was Trois Canards. I never ate at Mare because 1) it is expensive and 2) they refuse to take credit cards and I find that a bit elitist for a place with those prices. The jacket story is really a sign that there is little or no desire to please the clientel.
      roby2000

Comment

We should make a list of all the bad service places in the hood. I used to go to Murray's Bagels until I finally gave up due to their horrible service. I remember standing at the counter while the employees talked and then they would turn and say, "Who's next?", while I was right in front of their faces and in front of the line. Before that I went to the bagel place that used to be on 23rd run by the asian couple and the staff there always knew what I ordered and I would just walk in the door and they would get it. Not Murray's. I went there for about a year and not once did any of the staff ever even stage a guess as to what I wanted when I basically got the same bagel each time I went in. But you do learn which places have good service and which places do not after time and learn to avoid them. Another spotty place is Billy's Bakery.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusny View Post
          We should make a list of all the bad service places in the hood. I used to go to Murray's Bagels until I finally gave up due to their horrible service. I remember standing at the counter while the employees talked and then they would turn and say, "Who's next?", while I was right in front of their faces and in front of the line. Before that I went to the bagel place that used to be on 23rd run by the asian couple and the staff there always knew what I ordered and I would just walk in the door and they would get it. Not Murray's. I went there for about a year and not once did any of the staff ever even stage a guess as to what I wanted when I basically got the same bagel each time I went in. But you do learn which places have good service and which places do not after time and learn to avoid them. Another spotty place is Billy's Bakery.
          I read the subject heading of this thread and thought it was a "classic" title and not very good service, I realized it should be added to the Chelsea Click Your Activities thread as a negative review of an activity, but I wasn't sure how to fit it in, now I know how. If we're listing activities people might want to attend, we should also be listing activities people might want to avoid. So starting with the next update of Chelsea Click Your Activities, there will be a heading for "Bad Service and Other Negative Reviews". or something to that effect.

Comment

Charles...all I can say is, you are so much nicer than I would've been in a situation like that. What audacity. I know exactly to whom you are referring by the way. I wonder how he'd feel if someone threw away HIS jacket? He is kind of elitist to be sure.

Yeah...the no credit card thing just eludes me.

Once my friends and I went in for a celebratory occasion, and we were treated shoddily by the wait staff, except for this one server who was always apologizing for this or that. They probably didn't treat us ladies well, because we aren't supermodel looking or whatever. We're were just normal, everyday women getting together to celebrate an occasion and to have a good meal. BTW, their food ain't that great. It's just "okay."

None of my friends both male and/or female, have been back since. (I'll keep the specifics to myself if that's okay), and I now also recommend to people I know who are looking for that type of "fare" in Chelsea, NOT to go to MARE!

Comment

a note on Billy's Bakery,
              I entered one night while Ethan Hawke was there with his kids. I waited on line and after Ethan left with his children one of the staff members loudly began commenting on the Actors apperence in a very negative way to another staff member who was seated at a table folding boxes. It was so ugly and horribly small town vicious. While other people waited to be served this employee slandered Ethan as if he had the forum to do so. I started thinking as I looked around the bakery, his mouth was not the only thing DIRTY in this place. One week later on my way to work , someone from the morning shift was busy scraping a board of heath closure notice off the front door.
              Watch out in there for more reasons than one.
              fauxfurr

Comment

Re: Billy's

Here's the DOH filing from 2/28/07, for those that might be interested.

http://167.153.150.32/RI/web/detail....nDate=20070228

More striking is the history:

http://167.153.150.32/RI/web/detail....antId=41002945

CD
                Need computer assistance?
                See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Whoa, seedy, that was a frightening indictment of a place that serves raw oysters and clams. Yeccch!
                  roby2000

Comment

Originally posted by roby2000 View Post
                    Whoa, seedy, that was a frightening indictment of a place that serves raw oysters and clams. Yeccch!
                    Roby,
                    Please note I changed the name of the thread. I was referring to Billy's.
                    Sorry for the confusion.

CD

Comment

Actually, seedy, I looked at Mare and I stand by my initial assessment, yeccch! (please see red highlighted remarks and think about raw clams and hepatitis). I have little patience for places that charge high prices and may make you sick.

MARE RESTAURANT
                      198 8 AVENUE, MANHATTAN 10011
                      212-675-7522

Violation points: 23

Inspection Date: 10/01/2007

Violations were cited in the following area(s) and those requiring immediate action were addressed.

Sanitary Violations1.)"Choking first aid" poster not posted."Alcohol and Pregnancy" Warning sign not posted. "Wash hands" sign not posted at hand wash facility. Resuscitation equipment: exhaled air resuscitation masks(adult & pediatric), latex gloves, sign not posted. Inspection report sign not posted.2.)Food contact surface not properly washed, rinsed and sanitized after each use and following any activity when contamination may have occurred.3.)Personal cleanliness inadequate. Clean outer garments, effective hair restraint not worn.4.)Food Protection Certificate not held by supervisor of food operations.Previous Inspection Results
                      roby2000

Comment

Having been in & out of the food biz for years & I'm never surprised about the lack of hygiene, but am always surprised that places like these not only survive but seem to thrive.

CD

Comment

Originally posted by charlesB View Post
                          Last Sunday night I had dinner at Mare Seafood - on 8th Ave and 20th St. The food was alright. The service was better. But, I left my jacket there. The next day - Monday - I called about mid-afternoon and spoke to someone who said he did think they picked up a jacket but it was locked up in the manager's office and I wouldn't be able to get it until the next day - Tuesday - when they manager came back to work.

The next day I went by fairly early - around 11:00 a.m. I ran into the waiter who had served me Sunday night and he remembered me and said he did indeed pick up my jacket, and now the manager had it. The manager comes out and started to look around for it. He couldn't find it anywhere. He stopped and thought for a minute, and then he looked into the garbage can behind the bar. He stuck his hand down in it and out he pulled my jacket!

I was relieved to see it again and it wasn't messed up - because someone had just changed the garbage bag and the jacket was the only thing that was in it.

I just cringe though to think what if I had shown up 10 or 15 minutes later? The thing that got me really ticked off is that the manager not only didn't apologize, he didn't even look remotely bothered by the fact that someone had thrown it into the garbage - which I now suspect was him. I think it must have been him because the day before the guy told me on the phone that it was locked in the manager's office and I couldn't pick it up until the manager came back to work.

I asked him why someone would have thrown it in the garabage and he said "because no one claimed it". I told him I called and claimed it over the phone the day before and he just shurgged his shoulders like "oh well". I just thought what a shoddy and disrespectful way to treat a customer. I have a feeling the manager/owner(?) came in the next day and took the jacket out of his office and threw it away himself. When I walked in and asked about the jacket he looked a little startled and started scrambling. I'm just thinking why would he have thought to look in the garbage can if he hadn't put it there himself or if he hand't seen someone put it there? Who would think to look in a garbage can behind the bar for a jacket? They can't be bothered to keep a nice item lost by a customer for more than a a single day?

A genuine, heart-felt apology is all it would have taken to have kept me from posting this here. I understand mistakes can be made. But to make a mistake like that and not to say "I'm sorry", that's just rotten.
                          You?re beginnin? to plague me
                          Did your mother plague you too
                          I?m beginnin? to realize
                          Life?s not easy i ... feel it too
                          I?m so sorry for the pain i gave you
                          I?m so sorry for the rain i brought you,
                          So sorry for the hurt i gave you,
                          I?m so sorry... for you

BEN SHAW--SO STRONG

lol, it was a decent (house) song from 2001 or 2002.

peace and love

Comment

Working...
                          X