Outsiders in our 'hood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outsiders in our 'hood

Last night as I was walking down 8th off 20th, going home, a lady hanging outside a restaurant inconsiderately blew smoke in my face and I sarcastically said "Thanks". Her boyfriend challenged me and said "What'd you say fag?!" So, I turned around and said "Yeah, thanks for blowing smoke in my face". The women added "Shut up you faggot".

This is when I decide that I won't tolerate this sort of abuse in my own neighborhood and I said "Get outta here, go home". She replied "This is my home" and when I asked her what the zip code was, the guy pushed me to the floor. As I got up, really ready to whip butt, they laughed, jumped into a taxi and sped off.

Since it was just a little incident, I wasn't quite sure if I should report this or not and I just brushed off and went home.

Now that Chelsea is such the hotspot, sometimes I wish that we had guards at 14th St. & 23rd St, between WSH and 5th Avenue to patrol who can come and go into the 'hood.

Times Square has this sort of thing New Year's Eve, and you can only get into the area streets if you live there, have an appointment or are invited somehow.

Re: Outsiders in our 'hood

I'm so sorry you had to experience that, anywhere, but especially in your (our) own neighborhood. What a**holes. I agree there should be a patrol here...preferably by cops, but if that doesn't come about, or come about soon enough, the other option is to form our own neighborhood patrols of some sort.

Anyway, sorry to hear about that, and that you had to go through it. Completely unacceptable.

Comment

What a bunch of jerks Vidis. Sounds like they weren't just confused by the zip code! (I love that you asked them that)! Apparently they had no idea where they were! But that's really unacceptable. And the fact the guy knocked you down makes it legally serious. I think you should have reported it. In fact, I think you still should report it. You should always report things like this because even if they can't do anything about it, it goes into their database and gives them a better picture of what's going on. And that helps them identify troublespots and figure out where they need to move resources. I'm really sorry to hear that happened.

Comment

Maybe this thread should be under "if I ruled NYC".

Vidis, I understand your annoyance but just a suggestion... maybe you should pick your fights more carefully. Sounds like this girl is an oblivious and self-centered bubble-head. Her boyfriend, a little high on testosterone. Picking a fight with a stranger on the street is a tricky art not to be taken lightly. Is getting smoke in your face worth get beaten up over? Or worse?

I like the idea about guards keeping everyone out of Chelsea except residents. I'd have like it to have started ten years ago. Of course, that means, a lot of folks on this site wouldn't be living here now.

Comment

I agree with Vidis, and while I appreciate the possibility of being in danger for standing up for yourself, I admire his b's for saying something. There's an extreme lack of courtesy in this world these days, and I'm not just talking homophobia. Some young kids were prancing around on the sidewalk some weeks ago, and one slammed right into me even as I was trying to avoid him. I said 'excuse me' in an annoyed voice, and he responded with a dramatic 'I'm ssooo sorry.'

And you know what? I'm sure he really didn't mean to slam into me, but THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE! You're on a sidewalk on Eighth Avenue between 17th and 18th (it was in front of Gascogne) so prance elsewhere.

Just today I was in the Chase atm and as I was exiting a woman was trying to get in using her card which wasn't working. I opened the door for her and held it til she was all the way in. She didn't say thank you and unfortunately that seems to be the norm these days and I don't understand why. Years ago I was leaving the B&N on Sixth and held the door open for an elderly woman. She was effusive in her thanks, "oh no one does that anymore." They don't? Why on earth not?

If someone blew smoke in my face I would definitely call them on it. And if someone is going to be in Chelsea and call someone else a fag, then they definitely should dine elsewhere. I once saw a couple openly laugh at two guys walking down the street holding hands. As I passed them I said if they didn't like seeing that they should stay out of this neighborhood (out of all of NYC for that matter...). There was no response. Hopefully I gave them something to think about but who knows...

rant over.

Comment

Vidis, I am really sorry you had to endure that. Homophobia and violence are sickening. There's no reason you should have to feel unsafe or be attacked in your own neighborhood.

I agree with the consensus that you should think about reporting this. The police and the community board need to know these incidents are happening.

Comment

Vidis, I admire you for standing up for yourself against those jerks, but it could be a lot more dangerous than getting knocked down- which in itself is horrible! Please be careful in the future..... it's not worth injury or worse dealing with drunken idiots! I almost wish you did report it to the police..... I do think the best way we can deal with this is getting more cops on the streets of Chelsea during the "clubbing" hours (is that a pun?), and to let our legislators know we are not happy with the overabundance of said clubs. I'm really sorry you were treated so shabbily, and I'm glad you're okay.

Comment

When I hold a door open for someone and they sail through, head held high and completely ignore acknowledment of the courtesy, I usually just say a very loud "YOU'RE WELCOME!'.

As far as smokers go, another thing that really annoys me is when people, usually females (sorry girls), hold their cigarette about 12 inches away while walking and swinging their arm. To prevent being burned, I sometimes grab their arm to stop the swinging while I pass. I scares the hell out of them, but they usually get the point.

And my favorite 2007 pet peeve is people with the the ubiquitous backpacks who refuse to remove them in crowded elevators or in a subway car or bus. And the ones who stand in a doorway talking to someone else who are completely oblivious to the fact that their backpack is blocking the entrance or exit.

And don't even get me started on dog owners.

Courteous people are an endangered species these days and they should always be rewarded with a pleasant acknowledgement of their courtesy.
                roby2000

Comment

Vidis,

Very sorry to hear about your experience. I know it can be difficult to process things in the heat of the moment, but it's too bad you didn't get the taxi's medallion number; it could have been given to the police for follow-up. I agree that the incident should be reported. While it was a simple assault (and you may or may not have had witnesses willing to speak up), you never know but it may fit a pattern by these two particular knuckleheads or it may have emboldened them to do similar things later on etc etc etc. I'd also suggest that you notify Christine Quinn about it; this is her neighborhood also. If small crimes aren't reported it becomes a lot easier for people to move along to bigger and worse and we all become inured to such news. That's NOT a good thing.

Comment

Vidis - sorry dude. I would have said "Enjoy your lung cancer BITCH ! "

Comment

Well Vidis I'm sorry that happened but I hope you guys don't keep outsiders out because I'm an outsider and love visiting Chelsea. I would never treat anyone like that. I'm thinking about moving to the area anyway, does anyone know of a good 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in the area? As far as those two people go, people like that ultimately have a bad and lonely life. They act like that because they're insecure. Don't worry about them, karma will catch up to them.

Comment

Working...
                      X