Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bye-Bye Hardware store 8th Ave (19/20th St.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bye-Bye Hardware store 8th Ave (19/20th St.)

One of the best mom & pop stores I know is a little stationery store called "Typerwriter'n things" on 8th, just below 13 on the East Side of 8th. It beats Staples any day and they are well stocked. I am at the point where I gladly put up with higher prices and even attitude, as long as I see the same person behind the counter more than once, including the (former) hardware store on 8th Ave (19/20). Bye, bye. May you not be reborn as a Wachovia, Subway, RiteAid, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Duane Reeds...or Benetton store.

Comment

Originally posted by phtp2
      Don't patronize the big guys and shop at the smaller stores that still exist!
      i will tell you what i don't miss....the stink of the old 42nd street and its grittiness indicative of urban decay (decay -- not personality). i take the big corps with a grain of salt....it's better than the decay.

Comment

The problem I always had with the small hardware stores, like the late Garbers on 8th Ave., was that they closed at something like 4:25 PM and if you got there at 4:26, you were out of luck. Plus, the contractors used to take hours to order what they needed, so there was at least a half hour wait to buy a light bulb or something. I miss Woolworth's too, it was part of our lives and it, too, was a big corporation, so they are not all that bad.
        roby2000

Comment

Originally posted by LongTime Resident
          Janovic Paint on 7th near 23rd has some general hardware.
          You know, I bought 2 gallons of paint at this Janovic store the other day. I meant to pick it up that day but then realized I didn't actually need it for a couple of more days. So, I called and asked if they could deliver it. They said, "Sure. It'll be $20"! $20 to deliver two gallons of paint I exclaimed! They said "yep, it's $20".

Turns out they charge $20 to deliver one gallon of paint or 500 gallons of paint. No matter how much paint you buy it'll still cost $20 to deliver it. I don't understand that. First, how in the world could it cost them anywhere near $20 to deliver 2 gallons of paint? And second how in the world could they deliver 500 gallons for just $20!? That didn't make a lick of sense to me.

Comment

Working...
          X