Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bye-Bye Hardware store 8th Ave (19/20th St.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye-Bye Hardware store 8th Ave (19/20th St.)

So glad to see them go. Every time I went in there I felt like I was bothering them. Definitely missing the other hardware store that used to be on the S.W. corner of 18th & 8th.

felt the same way...

funny you wrote that, cause i always felt like i was bothering them....

is home depot our only option now?

-JT

Comment

Re: Bye-Bye Hardware store 8th Ave (19/20th St.)

Yeah, I'm sure those guys didn't like the prospect of being out of work either. Most of them were there for a long time and they got testy towards the end.

Home Depot is pretty great I think, tho I hate to admit it. I prefer to try and keep the mom & pop businesses going. But...

there's a large hardware store on the NW corner of 23rd and 9th; True Value hardware on 9th ave between 21/22th sts (a little more expensive); Janovic Paint on 7th near 23rd has some general hardware and there's another big hardware store down 7th ave in the 20's. And on 8th ave between 24/25 st there's a small hardware store.

Happy shopping!

Comment

There is also Artie's in the Pratt building on 14th east of 7th. It is a merger of True Value that used to be in the Vermeer and Aaron-Hotz locksmiths. Big store with just about everything. And helpful to boot.
        roby2000

Comment

Living on 19th street, I really miss delis. There used to be two right on my corner off 8th.
          The original idea of this post was to point out though that it's nice to see a shop close when they really don't deserve customers.

Comment

Maybe you'll get lucky and a deli will move into the old hardware store.

The whole nabe is lamenting the loss of corner delis, fruit stands, the Bendix diner, the Goodwill store, laundrymats and other useful places to make way for business that cater to more "upper-scale" customers. Bloomie Nails, Starbucks, costlier restaurants and small "speciality" stores, not to mention 2 X-rated stores not really wanted by or appropriate for a family neighborhood.

Murray's Bagels on 8th ave has really good deli food. And the best bagels I've ever had.

Comment

Not that I ever frequent them. but the X-rated shops are welcomed by me. It's somewhat of what NYC used to be all about. The smut was priceless!
              It would be briliant if the hardware store turned into a deli.
              Don't get my hopes up
              xo
              v

Comment

From what I see in the windows, don't the Blue Stores meet some 'specialty' hardware needs?

CD
                Need computer assistance?
                See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Cheeky cheeky Seedy

Comment

The whole city is being taken over by dull, drab corporate entities. Everywhere I look: Olive Garden, Outback Steak House, Staples, Barnes and Noble, Home Depot, Starbucks, etc., etc., and yuck! I miss my funky old city, with odd little mom and pop stores! Don't patronize the big guys and shop at the smaller stores that still exist!

Comment

Yeah, but what do you do when the mom and pop shops don't have what you want and the big guys do? I ask that as one who moved to Manhattan in part because I hated the giant generic corporate stores. I really do. But I have to say some of these mom and pop shops are pretty skanky and pretty shoddily run. They could actually do a lot themselves to fight the big stores simply by cleaning up their acts.

I mean do you have to be a giant corporate store to keep yourself clean!? I'm really sick of walking into really dirty looking skanky delis. And I love delis for the most part. But my mouth was watering when I went out of town recently at a brightly lit, very clean and well-stocked 7-11! And I hate 7-11! Or at least I used to. I still don't care for the products they carry - I mean talk about BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH! But, the store was so clean - it was really nice.

Comment

All I know is that when I lived in Chelsea 20 years ago there were no corporate monsters around, and the nabe was a lot more interesting and unique. I lived in Alphabet City when it looked like a war zone, in a "beautiful squalor" kind of way- and I loved it! I think it was the philosopher John Ruskin who described in the his essay "The Nature of Gothic" how difference and imagination in architecture reflect the imagination and creative spirit of a society. What that says about our current society, I'm afraid to conjecture..... It's true- there are some skanky delis- I don't go to them either! I'm just saying the less we all patronize the corporate entities, the less they'll pop up. But I have to say, I liked the old funky, skanky city better, warts and all! Disney store- bleh!

Comment

I have lived on 19th & 8th Ave. since 56 and have seen many changes over the years. Some of them for the better, but I too miss the Mom/Pop stores and the "little man" shops. It's a shame that growing up means leaving/losing that which were important to our growth. Being BIG doesn't mean it's better! A perfect example was the comparison between the hardware store on 18th & 8th and the one between 19th & 20th.

Comment

Ew, me too. I didn't know they were gone but I won't miss them either. Good hardware stores around 22nd St. are slimpickins lately. I'm forced to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond lately which has pretty good deals on cleaning supplies in bulk.

Comment

You said it phtp2 quite eloquently. The city lacks energy and spark. Everything's homogenized. All the shops are replaced w/too much of the same. Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Nail Spas, Co-ops. :'(

Comment

Working...
                              X