Noise and cook smell of the restaurent Dish of the 8th Avenue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise and cook smell of the restaurent Dish of the 8th Avenue

I am a relative new-comer to the area and found out that the noise and the smell of the restaurant Dish on 8th avenue is becoming more and more unbearable to live with. The fan makes a lot of noise until 2 a.m., in addition to the smell coming straigtway to my apartment located just behind Dish at W20th Street.

I have spoken to the manager of the Dish, he kindly promised to do something, But so far, nothing has been done. Is there any one who can advise how to address this issue?

Thanks, Helen

Re: Noise and cook smell of the restaurent Dish of the 8th Avenue

I know the smell from the corner 8th/19th?) where the Dish is located is unbearable in summer months. However, the smell has been there for years, even before the Dish opened. It seems to come up from the subway grates but why?

Comment

From what I can remember of the city code for kitchen ventilation, all that is required is that there be an extractor fan on the roof that draws any smoke up through a vent shaft & that fan & any other heavy equipment, like an air conditioner, must be mounted to the walls at the corner of the roof & not resting on the roof itself, lest a fire weakens the roof & the machinary should fall through.

If your window is on a floor level that is above that, unfortunately it becomes a matter of how the wind blows.

Even in this day & age I don't think any filtration other than a grease filter in the kitchen is required in the venting system. I don't think they are required to vent all the way to the top of the tallest adjacent structures. It would be considerate, but I doubt it's law. The grease filters are required to be cleaned & tagged every 6 months, but this is to prevent fires. Odors & noise are another matter.

The above is based on research I did some 10 years ago, so you might see if the Department of Buildings and/or the Department of Health can update you. You might also try calling 311, the City Information line. They understand the Bureaucracy.

CD
      Need computer assistance?
      See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Agreed that the smell on the corner of Eighth and 20th is awful, and probably not what huiluny is complaining about. The street smell is just like raw nasty sewage and it's right in that one spot...

Comment

There are a number of spots in our neighbourhood that smell regularly. Right outside 'Dallas Barbecue' on 23rd and 8th reeked last summer, until enough people complained. It was due to the restaurant flushing fat down the drains which was coagulating and rotting in the heat <Cities get furred up and blocked arteries just like their residents>. The COOP (landlord) had to get a grease truck in to pump it out and clean the sewers. I only hope the restaurant paid and not the COOP. I'm not near the dish that often so I cannot comment on the quality of your unsavoury pong but I'm wondering if it's the drains in that area which are the problem. Good luck in tracking it down.

Comment

Restaurants are prohibited by law from disposing of grease in the sewer system. Your example shows why. They are required to collect the grease from the griddle & grill & maintain the fat from the fryers to be collected, at a fee by companies called renderers. They recycle the waste into a substance this used for soaps & candles, etc

By the way, you do NOT want to be anywhere near those trucks when they come a callin'. Ever been behind a pig or chicken truck on a country road? Rendering trucks are not even close. They set the standard for stink.

Restaurants are all also required to have a grease trap that filters grease from the sink & dishwasher waste lines. The stuff that comes out of those traps has usually been festering for a few months.

For more adventures from the kitchen check back next time.

CD
            Need computer assistance?
            See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by girlfriday
              Agreed that the smell on the corner of Eighth and 20th is awful, and probably not what huiluny is complaining about. The street smell is just like raw nasty sewage and it's right in that one spot...
              Oh yeah!

That's smell's been there for years, too.

Comment

Helen, you might want to try NY1 For You - helpline 212-379-3599
                ny1foryou@ny1.com

Comment

Originally Posted by girlfriday

Oh yeah! That's smell's been there for years, too.
                  Maybe it's Jimmy Hoffa?

I always try and hold my breath when I cross by there. LOL

Comment

Re: Noise and Smell from Restaurant &quot;Dish&quot; on 8th Avenue

We are also greatly bothered by the noise of the fans- cooling machinery in the back of the DISH . If you would like to join us in doing something about it let me know.
                    ellenwexler@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X