X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This girl lets her dog jump on people

Originally posted by NORTH STAR View Post
    3/10/09
    We have not established that this dog jumps onto ALL people. So far, all we know is it jumped only onto Vidis. This dog's behavior could have been provoked by maintaining eye contact with the dog. The dog's reaction in this situation appears to have been a gentle warning to protect its master. So, Vidis, as you strolled by, did you maintain direct eye to eye contact with that dog?
    This is true. It's still the owner's responsibility to keep the dog under control, though. If he was walking away from the dog as he said, he clearly was not approaching the owner. She had no business allowing her dog enough of a lead on its leash to lunge at him.

Also, if you don't own a dog you're not going to know about eye contact, are you? A human's natural instinct is to keep its eyes ON something that is threatening it, so it doesn't sneak up.

Comment

I know better not to look dogs in the eyes, besides, I had sunglasses on this morning and was walking at a regular pace, not even near the owner.
      It was completely unprovoked.

Comment

Originally posted by EKV View Post
        Well, Vidis, I can tell you that sometimes dogs simply suffer from inexplicable enthusiasms. But I certainly understand your frustration at being deprived, by the owner's slowness to apologize, of the opportunity to adopt a gracious and forgiving stance.
        I'm sorry, but that excuse wouldn't fly with me. If a dog suffers from "inexplicable enthusiasms" that's not good enough. First, that would be a known condition and the owner would be responsible for ALWAYS guarding against it.

Comment

Yep, that's right NorthStar, Alexis is right. It's certainly not up to the individual to know whether or not, or how they can look at a dog! And imagine if the person did know and thought they weren't looking at the dog but the dog interpreted it that they were. You certainly can't hold a human responsible for what a dog perceives!

Comment

I'm actually laughing the more I look at that photo Vidis posted. The woman looks so confused like "WHAT IS THIS GUY DOING? Most people my dog jumps get scared, not angry. OH NO!!! WHAT'S HE DOING WITH THAT CELL PHONE???"

Comment

I was glad to see the picture. If I see that dog, with that girl,I will be forewarned.
              I think Vidis should -- yes -- be allowed to post his pictures on here. I don't think I'd have the guts to take a picture of someone who, say, almost ran my bike off the road, etc.
              I also think he definitely has a life, and sometimes what you write about is the stuff that really gets you, and you want to get it off your chest. Or even help others.

Comment

VIDIS, I'm with you re the awful response that idiot gave you. This type of reaction is very common these days, vis the total lack of responsibility people take. For everything! Though I haven't had a strange dog leap at me, and honestly I don't think it would bother me that much (as long as it wasn't dangerous; I'm a bit more of a cat person though), that kind of response is disgustingly normal these days. The absolute lack of acknowledgement of anyone else's rights, their right to HAVE rights... the absolute non-guilt through rationalization ("He didn't hurt you," or whatever that filth said). What a nobody... in spite of all this it's good to remember that the majority of people are at least somewhat more aware. It's funny I found this post; I've been very down about this current wave of infantile complete self-involvement for some time. About 7-8 years ago, I was walking east on the downtown side of 23rd approaching 8th Ave., when 2 dogs, joined at the collars by a chain, ran up behind me and knocked me down when their chain "got" me just above the calf. My legs buckled and I went down in a pile. Annoying, yes, but the owner was really apologetic and I ended up shaking his hand (he really seemed worried). It made ALL the difference.

Comment

Ok, ok everyone. Let's not blow this out of proportion. She was wrong not to say she was sorry but to take a private citizen's (and a stranger's) picture without their consent and post it on the web to humiliate her just seems vengeful and childish. Hateful, really. Venting about inconsiderate dog owners is one thing and would have sufficed.

Comment

I do see a problem here. This is one person's story and who knows if any of this is true? Anyone could take a photo of someone they are pissed at and post it and make up a story to "get them back". Not saying that is the case but there is absolutely no proof this woman and her dog did anything wrong. Is the dog in a state of attack? No. This photo proves nothing except that Vidis has a beef.

It is one thing to warn people of jumping dogs, but quite another to post a benign photo and claim that that person has done something. Where is the proof? The other side of this story may be that Vidis screamed and yelled at her for whatever reason and she felt she was being attacked and allowed her dog to defend her. Who knows?

Comment

I think dog owners think they own the city now and their behavior is totally inappropriate. Whatever happened to curb your dog. I see dogs defecating in the middle of the sidewalk. I don't want to be witness to this. What makes dog owners think their dogs should **** where you are walking?
                      As far as the dog jumping on the person in question. I think I would have been very upset. The dog and the owner need to go to training school.
                      I think it was very rude of her not to apologize. It's not the dogs, it's the owners who are at fault for their disgusting behavior.

Comment

"Wow", I said to myself, "i am not going to get sucked into this conversation" but here I am!

Hello readers and neighbors.

Has a dog ruined Your day?

Ahh! I remember when we use to hunt behemoths with nothing but a stick but that was a different time.

But seriously we all know V is justified in being upset about the reaction of the owner. I suspect she's actually rather shy and as shy people often react to "situations" with giggles... . She was possibly raised by a father that yelled at her the way V did? (My dad (little d) used a camera as a weapon) I mean as long as she's not here to defend herself at this virtual trial.
                        Is the mayor drunk and in the mood fur a hang'n?
                        Let us all be careful with our meat.

But more seriously have you seen these headlines lately?:
                        a) Humane society reports abuse of Chimps at research facility
                        b) Chimp builds arsenal to defend himself at zoo
                        c) Chimp rips face off woman in Conn.
                        d) Couple disappears from yacht

Maannn I'm tell'n you! Next time I see a chimp being walked in Chelsea I'm running!

Chimp Revolt!!

Sorry folks, it must be the caffeine.

May all sencient beings be free of suffering,
                        Newsbuoy

Comment

I mean as long as she's not here to defend herself at this virtual trial.
                          You hit the nail on the head. This discussion shows why we have courts where all the facts can be presented. Not just the accuser but the accused. Vidis has acted as victim, judge, jury and sentencer...capped by posting a "WANTED" sign. Is executioner far behind?

Vidis...you have every right to bitch and moan all you want....but this picture taking should stop. IMHO, you are really asking for trouble. But you do whatever you want. Experience is the best teacher.

I reiterate...living in this city is tough. A lot of people who can piss you off and many health hazards. You cannot control them only what YOU do or what you think. If you can't stand the heat then why not get out of the fire? Only the stronger survive.

BTW...I hear Detroit is making a comeback as an environmentally progressive city and real estate is cheap.

Comment

Screw these people with dogs! i like dogs but the owners are morons. I hate getting on the elevator and the old people who have there little furry companions, iam dressed going to work and the dog starts jumping and putting his dirty paws on me getting dirt on my pants. i pushed the dog away because the lady wasnt doing anything, so i shoved the dog out of the way with my foot. The lady yelled at me , i yelled back. One thing we are not suppose to have dogs in the penn south complex!

Comment

We do have way too many dogs in penn south considering that we did vote against them. I agree about the dogs in the elevators can be unpleasant experience. It's the people who have those big dogs that I can not stand mostly. It is not against the law to take a picture on your cell phone but I must say it was not done in good taste I am afraid.What gets me about peoplewith dogs is where they take them also. I was on my way to home depot last week when I notice a couple walking 2 large sized dogs but you can guess where they were headed to? Not only did they go in there with their dogs they ended up on line right before I got on. Why is it so necessaryto take dogs to certain stores and also commerce bank loves dogs since they have doggy treats but I feel they belong outside the bank-- sorry--- The last time I brought it up to to the cop minding the place he said he just loves dogs LOL end of story

Comment

What also bothers me, i had my kids in the park at pennsouth. This old lady comes in with her dog and starts to let her dog roam around the play ground. kids of course run up to the dog, i told them to not go near the dog and the lady says she is frieindly and wont bite, all animals are unpredictable and i dont want my kids near the dog, she gave me a nasty stare and i told for one thing the dog should be on a leash and another you shouldnt have that damn thing in a playground with little kids running around and since you do not have kids with you you shouldnt be in the park!

Comment

Working...
                                X