This girl lets her dog jump on people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This girl lets her dog jump on people

This morning I'm walking down the street and I see this girl and her dog standing against the wall, so I, out of habit, walk away and as far to the curb as possible.

Even though I am about 5 feet from them, out of nowhere the gigantic animal lunges at me and jumps up, pulling on my arm and we are face-to-face.

The girl pulls him off me and laughs and doesn?t offer any apology, so I tell her she needs to teach her dog control. She shrugs it off as no big deal and we had a screaming match in the street.

She insists that the dog didn?t hurt me, and fails to care that besides not wanting her dog on me, I nearly had a heart attack.

It?s people like her that give dog owners a bad reputation.

Re: This girl lets her dog jump on people

Ya know Vidis....

you have a real penchant for taking pictures of private citizens committing some sort of infraction to your sensibilities. one of these days, you just might snap someone who doesn't appreciate your Jimmy Olsen junior reporter badge and find yourself taking a picture of where your sun don't shine.

Vidis, I really have begun to feel sorry for you. In most of your posts, you express such hatred and revulsion for so many people. It must be hard to be you. How do you face the city everyday with so much hostility? If you don't calm down, you're gonna have a heart attack or something. (If some big bruiser doesn't cut you down taking his candid photo.)

That said....sorry you got attacked by a dog.

Comment

Minnie-Me - I actually kind of agree with some of your sentiments here. However, there is nothing legally that prevents someone from taking and posting someone's picture on the internet as long as the picture is taken of them while they are in a public situation - like on the sidewalk. So Vidis, while it may seem offensive, is well within his legal rights to not only take this photo, but to post it as well.

This woman looks pretty upset with Vidis! Did he do something wrong, or is she upset at getting her picture taken while oblivious to the fact that she shouldn't let her dog jump on people! I wish we could have had witnesses!

Comment

If people want to keep acting irresponsibly in public, then they have to understand that in today's world it's bound to get caught on tape.

Like pervs who expose themselves in public, now they're risking getting caught on cell phone cameras, and arrested - it's just that kind of society we're in now.

I did nothing at all to warrant her dog jumping on me (I actually purposely walked far away from them) or her rude, unsympathetic reaction when I got jumped and startled.

She looks pissy in the picture because she kept screaming at me to stop pointing at her as I yelled back that she needed to control her dog, and she kept screaming the dog didn't do anything wrong (no, the owner did).

When she saw me pull out the phone she asked what I was doing and I told her calling the cops, but instead set up the phone to snap the picture. After I took it I showed her the pic, and she shrugged and said "good, I'm glad you have a camera".

If she would've have at least said sorry, I probably would have just sighed, rolled my eyes and walked on - but she was pretty nasty.

Comment

QUESTION (per Jonathan): "Question of the day: Should Vidis post pictures of people who piss him off!?"

ANSWER: No there's not enough room in cyberspace.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesB View Post
            However, there is nothing legally that prevents someone from taking and posting someone's picture on the internet as long as the picture is taken of them while they are in a public situation - like on the sidewalk. So Vidis, while it may seem offensive, is well within his legal rights to not only take this photo, but to post it as well.
            Charles, I wasn't really talking about if it's legal or not. I'm not an expert on internet law so I don't know about that.

This was my point....

I DO know there's plenty of people in NY that don't care about laws and will gladly do physical harm to you if THEY are offended by your actions or words, or if you choose to start a fight with them. This woman in the photo doesn't look particularly threatening but (for example) some large dude with a pitbull and a bad attitude just might object to having his picture taken. What if they were a criminal or a nutjob? Do you really want to take a chance getting harmed just because you're legally allowed to post someone's picture online?

And I admit, posting pictures of people you think deserve public chastising in some way just bothers me. I think if any one of us were followed around all day we'd probably do something that seemed weird or annoyed another person. Think about it....would you want your face up on some blog....like a pariah?

Although I've never had a strange dog jump on me personally, I have had it happen to my child when they were still in a stroller. It is definately a frightening thing and I let the owner have a piece of mind! I certainly agree dog-owners need to keep a firm grip on their animals.

In NYC, there's plenty to complain about. It's a tough town to live in. Sometimes you have to adjust things you do to make life easier. If you let every big or little thing here get to you, you will either go insane, die young or move.

Comment

Just because something might be legal doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SNAP View Post
                QUESTION (per Jonathan): "Question of the day: Should Vidis post pictures of people who piss him off!?"

ANSWER: No there's not enough room in cyberspace.

"Piss me off" is unfair to say. People who do that to me are the sidewalk hogs, horn honkers and other inconsiderate fools.

People who "endanger" others is the focus here.

Comment

Having just read Minnie-Me's comments to Vidis about his reactions to the woman whose dog jumped at him, and then reading Minnie-Me's comments here about being more sympathetic towards the filthy truck owner, I see there's a pattern. Apparently, Minnie-Me is one of those people who would rather close an eye to a problem than deal with feelings. Yes, it's true that there's a lot in NYC that can upset a person, but the ones who complain and allow themselves to give voice to their feelings are probably the same people who will NOT get sick, or become violent, or misdirect their angers. In fact, it's usually the angry people who are most responsible for calling for change. I would probably trust such a person more than the person who always says, "Make nice, don't fight". If Minnie-Me one day finds bed bugs in her/his apartment and those bugs are the result of some vermin infested garbage brought in by that chinook truck I'd like to see how sympathetic she/he would feel then. I'm going to post the same thing on the other board so Vidis can see this as well.

Comment

This is hilarious. So a dog jumped on you. OH NO!!!! BOO HOO. Happens almost every time I go to someone's house with a dog. I guess now you should cross the street when you see dogs. I can't stop laughing at this thread. Ya know, if you chill out a bit you'll enjoy life more

Comment

The dog lunged at me from behind, scared the hell out of me as I turned and its snout was inches from my face.
                      It probably wouldn't be so hilarious had it happened to you.
                      The girl's apathy and rude response is how this thread came about.

Comment

Well, Vidis, I can tell you that sometimes dogs simply suffer from inexplicable enthusiasms. But I certainly understand your frustration at being deprived, by the owner's slowness to apologize, of the opportunity to adopt a gracious and forgiving stance.

Kim V.

Comment

Hahaha! Word SurfOwl. I can't!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfowl View Post
                            This is hilarious. So a dog jumped on you. OH NO!!!! BOO HOO. Happens almost every time I go to someone's house with a dog. I guess now you should cross the street when you see dogs. I can't stop laughing at this thread. Ya know, if you chill out a bit you'll enjoy life more
                            I don't care for Vidis or his approach to life at all, but this point is ridiculous. Someone should be able to walk down a public street without worrying that they're going to have someone's dog lunging at them. When a dog is out in public, it's the owner's responsibility to keep it under control and keep it from interfering with others. A dog that is approaching people on the street that way is poorly trained and has a very rude owner. If a dog is so 'enthusiastic' that it can't control itself, it should stay indoors or away from people. Or its owner should keep it on a tight leash when it's out in public. Period.

Not to mention that it can be dangerous for the dog. When a dog is jumping, it isn't always clear if it's attacking or what, and many people's first instinct would be to grab their mace or start kicking.

It's a lot easier to enjoy life when people exhibit some common courtesy and consideration for those around them...

Comment

3/10/09
                              We have not established that this dog jumps onto ALL people. So far, all we know is it jumped only onto Vidis. This dog's behavior could have been provoked by maintaining eye contact with the dog. The dog's reaction in this situation appears to have been a gentle warning to protect its master. So, Vidis, as you strolled by, did you maintain direct eye to eye contact with that dog?

Comment

Working...
                              X