Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agressive thief in our neighborhood

Received today from my managing agent:

In the last few weeks there have been a series of burglaries in Chelsea and the West Village. This guy strikes in the middle of the day and usually hits a couple of apartments on the same floor. He chooses apartments that he can break into through the front door using a crowbar to “pop” the locks. We are letting you know so that you might increase your awareness and be vigilant. Please let your neighbors know. Please, we would very much appreciate it if one of you could put up a notice in your building. Let us know if you think that your building might benefit by increased security measures, such as a J-Bar. That is that metal bar that is installed on the doors and frame so that the locks cannot be pried open. You might also want to think about video surveillance.

Re: Agressive thief in our neighborhood

Thanks for warning us!

Salomon

Comment

Many thanks for the warning. I posted this in my building.

Comment

Yeah, definitely thanks for posting this Michael. I'm going to put a notice in our building too. I always feel so safe in Manhattan - in my building. I think I'm under the false impression that it's really hard to break in. It's probably a lot easier than I realize. So thanks for the reminder.

Comment

We have only had 2 buggleries in the 13 years that I'm been in our apartment on 22nd Street. One was over the past year and was a day time job. The neigborhood has changed over the years with the gentrification, which has lend to more transient workers and adolesents that loiter and get into troble. The subways do make quick getaways, but our own dilagince can help. When you see kids doing things wrong let them know. It's not right letting them think that their actions can be wrong or unsafe. All keep an eye on the vagrants that hang out on the stops. I've seen soom joing into builings... whether just for a piss... I don't know. Becareful and safe in the hood.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on this. It's always a good idea to watch who is hanging around your building, definitely, and how often they are there.

Comment

West 19th Street is very safe but there was a mid-day robbery at the Paola & Raffaella jewelry store within the last couple of weeks.

Comment

As for the apartment burglar, I'd heard a guy that was recently released, after a 7 year prison term, was seen in the neighborhood around the same time the daytime Breaking & Entering started. Within a few weeks, he was apprehended in the act and is now another recidivism statistic.

We can now go back to blue from orange on the Alert Rainbow.

CD
                Need computer assistance?
                See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Something tells me the original poster of this message is a locksmith.

Comment

Working...
                  X