Landlord Harrassment - Seeking advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord Harrassment - Seeking advice

I?ve been in a rent stabilized apartment in Chelsea for many years, and it appears the pressure is on from my landlord to get me out.

I have a few more months on my current 2 year lease, and expected to get the renewal papers a month ago, but never did. I phoned the landlord a few times, and always got voice mail. I left messages about the lease renewal, and also asked the office to call me back, I never got either the lease papers, or any return phone call. In the last year, there were two occasions when I called about minor repair issues, and received no response. I?ve just lived with them.

I?m not sure of the best way to proceed here, and would appreciate any advice or comments. In truth, although I love Chelsea and have had a good rent, I?ve never liked the apartment, which is largely unrenovated, and getting more antiquated by the day. So I?ve decided I would actually like to move, although it will certainly mean leaving Chelsea, and probably Manhattan altogether. Not happy about that, but I really have no choice.

I?m not sure what else this landlord has planned, but I would say it doesn?t look good. It?s certainly not in his own interest to just leave me in place without a lease at my old rent, so I?m guessing he?s going to try further harassment and maybe even try to evict me. (I?ve read the legal reasons a landlord can evict you or take your apt., and don?t see any situation that directly applies to me. But there seem to be miscellaneous reasons as well, so I don?t know what he?d be able to do.) My issue right now is trying to buy myself some time. I want to spend my time, money and energy finding an apt. to buy or rent and then moving, rather than dealing with ongoing landlord harassment and legal proceedings.

I?ve gotten a form from DHCR to file when a landlord doesn?t renew the lease timely. I?m not sure if I should file this or not. And advice? I?m reading conflicting things online when I?ve tried to research this.

I?ve also tried to research local tenants? organizations. I found a few things, but it seems like they?re not currently active. So one question I have is, does anyone know of a currently active tenants? organization that I could contact for some guidance here? I?m also interested in consulting a tenant?s lawyer, but not sure how to find a good one. If anyone has anyone they could recommend, I?d appreciate it.

If you?ve been in this situation, I?d like to hear your own experiences.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Landlord Harrassment - Seeking advice

http://www.metcouncil.net/index.htm

Try going here. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks phtp2 - I had come across this organization, but it must have been an old website, and I thought they weren't currently active. I'm glad to see I was wrong about that.

I took a quick look now, and will spend more time on the website tomoorrow. It looks helpful, and I will probably contact them. Thanks again.

Comment

I do know that as long as your apartment is under rent stabilization, they cannot evict you for purposes of ending the stabilization. Are there other RS apts. in your building? Contact the rent stabilization board they can let you know.
        As for a lawyer, I know you can go to the Gay and Lesbian Center on West 13th St. They have a legal clinic. It doesn't matter if you are gay or lesbian to be able to go. Just call them to see when their hours are for the legal clinic. Its a basic consultation, but I had to go once and found it very helpful.
        It does sound, however, that you really don't want to stay where you are. So I guess you have to ask yourself, how much time and energy do you want to spend on this when you could be looking for a more suitable place to live?
        I'd say you could have my apt. but if you read the postings I've put here, I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy!

Good luck with everything. Housing in NY is the craziest thing I've ever seen in my life!

Comment

Thanks for this information, Irishdjd. I wasn't aware of this at all (the legal clinic at the Gay and Lesbian Center), and I've made a note of it.

There are other rent stabilized tenants in the building, but for many less years, and they probably have high enough rents that the landlord wouldn't go after them. I think two tenants who are here longer than I am are rent controlled, but protected by that and senior citizen or disabled provisions. As far as I know, I'm the only one in this particular situation in this building, so no chance of organizing anything there.

I don't really want to spend a lot of time fighting this - only to avoid being harrassed while I try to find a place and move. That could take a while, especially if I'm looking to buy, not just rent. So I'm forced to deal with this on some level.

Anyway, these replies have given me some ideas to try, and I appreciate the advice.

Comment

Just to cover yourself I would send a registered letter to the landlord requesting the renewal papers. This was you have it on record that you did not receive the papers timely.

Comment

That's very good solid advice JimR. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

JimR,

Yes, I've been thinking about sending such a letter. I'm only not sure about it since I think I want to move, but I probably will send it very soon, as you said, just to cover myself. (I doubt it will inspire the landlord to suddenly send the lease papers anyway...)

Comment

You're right it most likely not inspire the landlord, especially if he wants you out. Hopefully it can buy you time until you do find something suitable to your needs

Comment

Originally posted by Trad9 View Post
                    if I'm looking to buy
                    If you can afford buying a place, see if you can make that your highest priority. You can control more of your destiny that way. When you are renting, you are always living on someone else's property. Rent protections come and go. As soon as I can buy, that's what I am going to do.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your interest and comments. Here's a bit of an update.

I tried calling Met Council's hotline on Monday, but only got a voice message telling me to call during hotline hours, which was, in fact, the time I was calling. The message stated other times during the holiday week that the usual schedule didn't apply, but nothing about Monday. However, there was clearly no hotline happening that day! That was a bit frustrating, but understandable given the midweek holiday. I'll keep trying to call them Fri and Mon, and if still no luck, I may try the walk-in clinic on Tuesday - hopefully that will be happening.

I've been discussing this with anyone I can, and have gotten some helpful advice and information. One person thought they might have a friend who could help with some legal advice, so I'm trying to pursue that angle right now. I did get a lot of helpful information about affordable apts. to buy or rent in a few locations, and plan to start seriously looking this weekend. I also got a lot of general but helpful information about different neighborhoods, the co-op buying process (from someone who owns a co-op and is on his apt's co-op board), and even info about restaurants and furniture stores in Queens! (jumping the gun there, but hopefully those last two will come in handy on down the line.)

I'm going to investigate one co-op recommended by a friend, who grew up there, and whose mother still lives there, but it may be somewhat above my price range. Other than direct recommendations like that, I've been thinking it over and may try to find a rental for 1-2 more years. This is partly to save more money, but more because I've only begun to learn about the home buying process, and don't want to rush it if I don't know enough about what I'm doing. My goal is still to buy eventually.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

It's good to see you're doing your homework. I'd hate to see you get screwed twice by rushing into something without fully investigating. Good luck to you!

Comment

Another update:

I did reach Met Council today, and they were very helpful. They did agree I should put someting in writing, which I will do, and they also provided contacts for legal advice.

Comment

Hey Trad:

Glad to read that you've been able to reach out to the Met Council and that they were responsive.

I really hope that your landlord gets his just desserts. I say that because, I just hate the fact that some landlords actually get away with and implement harassment against tenants just to make/save a buck or are just seeking some tax break (loophole) of some kind.

This is one of the reasons I hated being a property manager for a large managing agent for some years. I hated the backstabbing and underhanded way some Managing Agents and Landlords alike treated tenants. I came to dislike the R.E. game (if you will) so much, that I just let my R.E. license lapse and well, let's just say, that it's nice to know that there are tenant advocacy folks out there to help out when the help is really needed.

Best of luck to you.

"CC"

Comment

Have you tried asking for a buyout?

Comment

Working...
                              X