Laundry at 17th and 8th.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry at 17th and 8th.....

I have been out of the city for three months and I came back and is it just me or has the laundrymat at 17th and 8th totally gone to ****? Anybody know another place nearby to do laundry that isn't only drop off? My ex lives in the east village and has a twenty four hour laundrymat that is huge with a little cafe in it and wireless internet available, etc. I think we shoudl petition to make ours fancy too.

that's all.

Re: Laundry at 17th and 8th.....

I occasionally use that one (about once every 3-4 months) because it has better hours than my usual one on 9th avenue.. I haven't been there very recently, but probably will need to use it at some point during the spring. What in particular have you noticed about it? Anything so bad that we should stay away altogether?

Comment

am curious if you have a place that is not only drop off on 9th.

so, the place down the street isn't awful, but half the machines don't work and the change machine hasn't worked in months and a lot of the washers smell like mildew and most of all (and maybe i am crazy) you have to put each quarter in 3 or 4 times before the machine will take it and that makes me want to hurt myself.....it just seems odd that in this neighborhood where property value is really going up and they are building these million dollar condos and lofts we should have a halfway decent laundrymat.

thats all.

Comment

I usually go to a laundromat on 9th avenue between 19th and 20th, on the East side of 9th avenue. It has a sign in the window that says they also sell insurance downstairs. (There's another laundromat across the street that I've never been in.)

It's not perfect, but it's the closest to my apt. right now. The people there are pretty nice. In terms of the machines, most are okay, but some have the same problem you mentioned where you need to put the money in with a real shove, or it comes right back out. If you're having trouble, the man that works there is very nice about doing it for you. I have occasionally noticed mildew on machines at times, which I agree is pretty unappealing. Most machines seem ok, though.

They don't have a change machine, but the employees will give you quarters as needed. By the way, it’s much smaller than the one on 8th avenue, but most of the time I don’t have to wait for machines. It’s not at all fancy, just close!

I agree, I wish we had a cyber-cafe-laundromat close by and I’m surprised we don’t. But I guess the people in the fancy new buildings have laundry rooms in the building, if not actually in their apts. Right now, I’m glad I don’t have to travel any farther than I already do, and hopefully this small laundromat on 9th avenue won’t suddenly turn into a bank or Duane Reade!

Comment

I used to use the one on Ninth between 19th and 20th, for drop off only, but I won't go there anymore. The lady who works there is lovely, but the guy with the little hat presses down on your bag so it costs more. Caught that a few times and I got pissed. I've also noticed roaches and a distinct smell of bug spray; I would've freaked if I ever found a bug in my bag. When I drop off I use the drop off only place a few doors south, VERY nice people, they're my regular dry cleaners too. My husband usually does the laundry and he goes to the smaller place on Eighth between 19th and 20th....I think....or one block south? No complaints, but he always goes mid afternoon.

Comment

Working...
          X