Having trouble with mail delivery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble with mail delivery

I've been in the neighborhood several years, and get mail both at home and at a p.o. box at the post office on 18th st. between 7th and 8th avenue. In the past, some mail has occasionally gone missing.

But since June, I've had frequent problems, For a week in June, I had no mail delivered to the post office box at all (highly unusual for me, as I get the majority of my mail there at this point, and certain things were definitely missing.) I did discuss it with two employees there on 2 different days, who said they would try to check on it for me, but the missing mail was never found.

Although the mail started up again the next week, since then I have missed multiple bills, magazines and newspapers, and other mail. (different items each week or month. When I do receive the same items at other times, they?re addressed correctly, so that doesn?t seem to be the problem.) I've also had a smaller number of things missing from my home mail. I've never had this degree of trouble with mail before. Not only is it a nuisance, but I?m concerned about having items with financial and other personal information being misdelivered.

I guess I'm wondering 1) if anyone else has noticed increased problems with mail delivery in the last few months and 2) if anyone knows a way to get this fixed.

I've generally found the post office employees reasonably helpful, but when I spoke to them earlier this summer, they didn?t seem to have any formal procedure for dealing with this type of problem, couldn't tell me who to follow up with, etc. I'd like to try again, but I?m not sure who could really help with this.

Any ideas / comments would be appreciated.

Re: Having trouble with mail delivery

Good Morning Trad:

Here's what I did when I had a complaint about the mail delivery. I called the main post office number, and asked them what to do. They referred me to the Carrier Supervisor for my area. The Carrier Supervisor, is able to follow up with the actual carrier for your building and do what the P.O. called an "investigation." What I found to be reassuring was, that they actually took my telephone number and I "actually," received a call back. He didn't call back until 2 or so days later, but he DID call me to follow up on my grievance. Additionally, since you've already got a P.O. Box at that location, you're already ahead of the game. Ask someone there to direct you to the Carrier Supervisor. If they refuse or cannot, then go ahead and give the main P.O. a call. Hope this is helpful; and, good luck. Oh. By the way, here's their toll free telephone number: 888-368-4669.
    CC69

Comment

Hi CC69,

Thanks for your suggestion, which I plan to try. Today after work I stopped into the post office and asked about this. (before I saw your message.) First the man there told me there was nothing whatsoever he could do about the problem. Then I asked for the supervisor, and was told she traveled from PO to PO, and I should call her after 5 P.M.

I did that, and another man answered and told me she wasn't in, but I should call back after 6 P.M. I told him I thought they were closed then, but he said I could call until 6:30. When I called a few minutes after 6, the same person answered and immediately told me the post office was closed! I reminded him I had spoken to him earlier, and then he put me on hold. After 20 minutes with no further response, I hung up, since this was obviously useless. I'll try directly one more time tomorrow, then try the main post office number as you suggested. I've got my fingers crossed!

Trad9

Comment

Along these same lines, today my next-door nieghbor rang my doorbell with a handful of my mail that had been delivered to her!

Comment

I've had problems with mail delivery off and on for a while now. I'll sometimes get mail from the next building, and letters and parcels have gone missing. I'm sorry to hear it's not just my block.

Comment

phtp2 - Ah yes - That experience sounds very familiar...

alexism - I'm sorry you're having trouble as well - are you on 18th St or elsewhere?

Here's to those nice neighbors who go to the trouble to return wayward mail.

Comment

Jeez you guys. That's really annoying, not to mention how (at least to me), incompetent of those who do the sorting.

I know in my building if our regular guy whom I've known for eons, is on vaycay or just not in that day it's a sure bet that I'll get mail for 12 other people who's name doesn't even come close to mine; or, even better, since I live in a double building, I've been known to get mail for someone who's name might start with same last letter or might live in the same apt. number, but on the other side of the building. Sometimes, when you point it out to these "subs," they get really nasty. Apparently they don't like to be told they're wrong. Oh well. What about all the checks or medications that some older folks might be waiting for via USPS? I wonder how many of those are being misplaced and given to the wrong recipients. Not good, not good at all.

Comment

Well, here's my latest. I never got through by phone to the local p.o. supervisor, so I did call the main #, as suggested by CC69, and a woman took my report of the problem.

When I told her my P.O. box #, which is 4 digits, she insisted there had to be more digits. She claimed she had more than one box using my four digits. When I asked her to give me details, this is how she explained it. Let's say my box number was 1750 (not the real #). She said she had two listings, 1701-1750, and 1750-1801. She considered these to be 2 PO boxes at the post office. I said that sounded like a range of numbers from box 1701 to box 1750, for example. She absolutely could not grasp this concept of a range of numbers that represented 50 different p.o. boxes.

I tried simplifying by using the example of a box # 10 and a range of boxes listed as 1-10. She still didn't understand, and seemed absolutely convinced that I needed an 8 digit # for my box. She went to speak to someone else, hopefully a more mathematically literate supervisor, and then just told me she was submitting the report to the supervisor at my local p.o. (the one I couldn't reach by phone?) and someone would call me within a day or two.

It did occur to me that it may be the p.o. procedures that are confusing, and this may genuinely appear to her to require an 8 digit #. However, I got the impression it was more that, as I said, she didn't understand that this represented a range of numbers. At any rate, it was a frustrating and at times bizarre conversation, but hopefully someone who understands the situation will take some action on it.

P.S. to CC69 re your last comments: I have a very common last name, and several years ago, another person with that name, totally unrelated to me, lived in another apt. in my building. He moved out perhaps 6-7 years ago, but I still get mail for him in my box a few times a year. (I have no idea where he moved.) Usually it has his old apt. # on it, but sometimes the sender has changed it to my apt. # ! A few years ago I reported this to the p.o., and I was told - you guessed it - there was nothing they could do about it.

Comment

Hi Trad:

Sorry for your predicament. Hopefully like you said, someone will finally grasp what you were trying to tell them. Best of luck to you.

CC69

Comment

Quick update - I did get a voice mail message late today from a woman at the 18th st. post office that she received the details from the main post office. She said to call back Friday when she's next in to discuss the problem. So hopefully, that will work. Thanks for everyone?s comments.

Comment

Sometimes I get mail for the 351 address instead of the 350 address with the same apt # - also the mail delivery here is so late most of the time - He usually doesnt show up until after 2pm and isnt finished until after 3.
                      Anyone relying on a check the 1st of the month is out of luck as far as banking that day!

Comment

Terrific Trad. I'm glad to hear that your grievance will be addressed. Like I said, sometimes they take a couple of days, but they did get back to you. I guess some sensitivity training is abound....LOL

Peace.

CC69

Comment

Just to tie up loose ends here - I did finally get to talk to someone directly at the 18th st post office. She kept telling me that if the mail was addressed properly, then it was being delivered to my box. I know this wasn't true, as I've received plenty of mail in my box for other box holders - addressed correctly, but misdelivered to the wrong po box. (You can turn it in at the window for redelivery to the right box.)

However...she did take down the information and say she would watch over the mail delivery. I was encouraged that I did receive my two weekly newspapers timely this week. Over the summer, they were often missing or late. So that's a good start.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and advice.
                          Trad9

Comment

You're more than welcome Trad.

"CC"

Comment

I, too, have had trouble with mail. A self-addressed envelop that was addressed to me was returned to the sender in Staten Island. She had to put it in another envelope and re-mail it. Another self-addressed envelop that was mailed to me was never delivered. A third self-addressed envelop was sent to me from California and was received by me via Florida!!

I shared this information with the supervisor at the l8th St. post office and included the envelop that was duplicated along with the original envelop. I did not get any follow-up.

Comment

Working...
                              X