LOITERING PEOPLE ON 17ST BTW 8 AND 9AV "24/7"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOITERING PEOPLE ON 17ST BTW 8 AND 9AV "24/7"

Does anybody know if those people (low income housing kids i believe) hanging out on 17th St btw 8/9av live here..? I just moved in and didn’t know about that.. last night my mother visited me and she said they were smoking weed right on the sidewalk… she had to walk on the street because they blocked the way. thank you. julia.

Re: LOITERING PEOPLE ON 17ST BTW 8 AND 9AV "24/7"

is it the school?

Comment

no,, the school kids are nice.. they are "in school" im talking about these 18-20yo guys hanguing out on the steps every single day..they dont do anything.

Comment

Hi Julia,

Just to respond to your query: I've done some research in this area (I am a resident for 6 years and a social worker) kids on the block vary: Covenant House is on the corner and provides housing for runaway teens and young adults aging out of foster care; the projects down the block apparently are so unsafe for the teens who live there (this is what they have reported to me) that they prefer to stoop sit whenever they can, anywhere they can; there are four high schools in a four block radius and the kids often hang out here to delay returning home -- with many special ed young adults. Here's a tip for interacting with them: be straightforward and respectful and they will usually move along in a few minutes. Calling the police sometimes helps, if it is very late.

Comment

Julia,

I think frankm's insight and advice for interacting with these kids are valuable. Let me add it doesn't sound like they are being monitored very well by their parents or guardians which probably indicates family dysfunctions.

I know that confronting a group like that can be intimidating for a seasoned NY'er let alone someone new to the neighborhood. Don't freak yourself out and assume they are violent and/or criminals even if they're smoking pot. Be cool, act confident, say excuse me.

Now, on the other hand, no one should have to put up with loitering on their stoop or in front of their building. I would take my complaint to the landlord They are likely to want to keep their higher-paying tenants around. He may have the super handle it, the cops or pull some strings if tenants starting complaining.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how are the projects further west so dangerous? I walk by them all the time, so that makes me a little nervous.

Comment

Cnicoll:

Just to respond to your posting: the projects are very dangerous - especially for the youths who reside inside. There is a lot of bad dealing that goes on re drug use and drinking, and the teens report (at least to me, the few times we talked) that hanging out in their own playground at night is frightening to them. That means, for you, be careful at night. Stay on 14th or 23rd and heed the news reports of late that caution women to be careful in light of the recent homicide of the young woman from NJ.

Comment

Wow--that really upsets me. I walk from my apartment between 8th and 9th all the time to 10th through those streets. I knew that they were the projects, but not that they were so dangerous. I really thought that New York was no longer so dangerous...how disappointing. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Working...
                X