PROPERTY ISSUES!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PROPERTY ISSUES!!!

Please note : This is not an attack or meant to insult anyone.

Liberal, progressive attitudes concerning urban crime like that of "Alexismckinnon's" attempt to rationalize, understand and of course, be tolerant of it.

This just results in the urban crime rate including Public Housing to fester. I don't make excuses for this behavior, I am & always have been outraged by it. I don't want to understand it & will not tolerate it. I expect better of urban youth, I do not lower my expectations for them, that is the true discrimination of the progressive movement................of which Clelsea is the epicenter.

If someone steals your bike, be Outraged, hound the cops & do not tolerate it.............Raise your expectations................We can do better...........

Please note again: This is not an attack or meant to insult anyone.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss and the damage to your car. I have been on that block on several occassions and must say that although no one has ever bothered me, there is quite a bit of activity on the corner of 9th avenue.

I'm sure all those kids are not bad, but I also know that when kids get together in a group, they tend to do things they would not normally do when alone.

Although it may not be likley, I sincerly hope you get you bike back. I will keep an eye out for it in the neighborhood..

Comment

If "he" and his friends gang raped a girl, they were only"dismissed" from CH? Why not arrested? And out lingering ANYWHERE except in jail? I don't get it.... Do they let juvvies out for gang rape now?

YES! QUITE DISTURBING INDEEED!

Comment

Travis - thank you. That's the kind of response I'm talking about. It's not an attack or an insult, it's a statement of your disagreement and what you believe. Perfect.

Comment

Thanks for your support, but it is not necessary & not wanted..................

Comment

If someone steals your bike, be Outraged, hound the cops & do not tolerate it
              Yes, hound the cops about it. I know, I would much rather our police dept. be out looking for someone's stolen bike (or making the homeless move from one block to another) rather then hounding rapists and murderers and violent crime.

Travis, I'm glad you prefaced your post with
              because the following sure sounds like an attack to me.

Liberal, progressive attitudes concerning urban crime like that of "Alexismckinnon's" attempt to rationalize, understand and of course, be tolerant of it.

This just results in the urban crime rate including Public Housing to fester. I don't make excuses for this behavior.
              Maybe you mis-read or mis-understood Alex's post but she did NOT say anything excusing, tolerating or rationalizing crime. She did express that it wasn't accurate to sterotype low-income or abused adolescents as criminals. So it appears to me you have twisted her words.

I would say I have liberal and progressive views but I don't make excuses for criminals either, just like you don't. And Alexis didn't either. Neither did she say she was a "liberal" or a "progressive" so why are you assuming it?

Comment

I think you should let Alexis defend herself...................

Comment

This IS a public forum.

I am not defending Alexis. I am responding to your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
                    Thanks for your support, but it is not necessary & not wanted..................
                    Part of my job is to set the tone for the web site and let it be known what's acceptable and what's not. My comment was meant as much for others as it was for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis

This just results in the urban crime rate including Public Housing to fester. I don't make excuses for this behavior, I am & always have been outraged by it. I don't want to understand it & will not tolerate it. I expect better of urban youth, I do not lower my expectations for them, that is the true discrimination of the progressive movement................of which Clelsea is the epicenter.

If someone steals your bike, be Outraged, hound the cops & do not tolerate it.............Raise your expectations................We can do better...........

Please note again: This is not an attack or meant to insult anyone.
                      It might not be intended as an attack, but that is how it is coming across.

As LTR observed, nowhere in my post did I rationalize or make excuses for the theft and property damage. I don't know how you pulled that from my post, but it wasn't there. I've never said that crime is a good thing, that criminals should be coddled, or that someone should get away with a crime because they are "misunderstood." If someone commits a crime, they deal with the consequences.

I did say that I feel it is wrong and unfair to assume that because someone is an urban kid, because they come from a troubled background or they live in low-income housing, that they're a delinquent or have a criminal mentality. I expect the same standards from these kids that I'd expect from any others...no more, no less. Innocent until proven guilty. Would you look at a kid from an UWS prep school and naturally assume they're going to be trouble? Why not afford kids from these backgrounds the same courtesy?

With all the "troubled" kids I've met and worked with, not one has ever given me drama. Perhaps it's because I come in respecting them, and not assuming they're immediately out to get me.

And one more thing...rents for "low income housing" around New York are pretty comparable to the rents that regular families pay in other parts of the country. Just because someone isn't blessed enough to be able to afford a $2000/month apartment doesn't mean they're trouble. I know several professional people who have been completely financially ruined by medical expenses, college debts, etc.

Comment

Alexis:

I grew up in this neighborhood. A lot of my friends are from the "projects." Yes. Some of the kids I knew growing up were troubled and just happened to be raised in a low-income household. But after all of these many years, I am proud to say that they defeated the odds and are doing just wonderfully.

Good for you for dispelling the notion that just because you are of a certain background and have (perhaps) less resources, it automatically means you're going to end up a thug. I can think of some people who grew up with privilege and didn't end up as well rounded.

Juepa! Sista-Girl...I'm with you.

CC69

Comment

Hey gang..

You all know the Wayon Brothers grew up in those 17th street projects, right? I'd say, they're doing fine. They took all their friends with them to California, too.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but those kids in Columbine didn't grow up in the projects, did they? And neither did Robert Chambers, the Preppy Killer.

Comment

Originally posted by LongTime Resident
                            Hey gang..

You all know the Wayon Brothers grew up in those 17th street projects, right? I'd say, they're doing fine. They took all their friends with them to California, too.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but those kids in Columbine didn't grow up in the projects, did they? And neither did Robert Chambers, the Preppy Killer.
                            Oh and what about Whoopi Goldberg? Her family grew up on 26th Street and 10th Avenue. BTW, The Wayans Bros. and their sisters, went to I.S. 70 with me. We all seemed to have done just fine.

Comment

chelseachick and LTR, thank you!

I had no idea Whoopi and the Wayans brothers were from the neighborhood. Now that's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by alexismckinnon
                                chelseachick and LTR, thank you!

I had no idea Whoopi and the Wayans brothers were from the neighborhood. Now that's cool.
                                You're more than welcome. Oh. I just thought of someone else who was in my J.H.S. with me, Bela Fleck of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. He and I were in the school band together. Look how great he's doing. He grew up on 8th Ave.

Chelsea is chock-full of amazing kids from back in the day. Some had privilege, and some did not. I just love, love, love the wonderful success stories of kids I grew up with.

Appropos of nothing, I also grew up with Olinda Tuturro who is Aida Tuturro's older sister. We had a lot of the same friends and we also went to I.S. 70 together. I guess it's not appropos of nothing like I said, because all of the people I just mentioned, all went to school (J.H.S. that is), at a "public" school right here in good ole' Chelsea. Now...that's REALLY cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X