PROPERTY ISSUES!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROPERTY ISSUES!!!

One week ago (Saturday, the 5th) my car was dented in two places - on the sidewalk side... I believe it was either Covenant House residents or low income housing kids... Yesterday, my bike was stolen! It was under the building stairs (not visible from the sidewalk) and chained. Please keep an eye out for a silver GIANT WARP mountain bike with a red front suspension fork and a red and black racing seat. It was in perfect shape. The front wheel was left behind. $50 REWARD. Please help!

Hey there,

I am sorry for your loss and property damage! That sucks.

Just curious...why are you so sure it was "low-income housing kids" or the CH residents? It could have just as easily been some drunk rich frat boy coming back from the clubs or a careening taxi or delivery bike or anything else.

In my experience, I've never had problems with CH. The kids who are there are generally very scarred, they've come from abusive backgrounds, and they're not out to cause trouble; they're just grateful to have a safe place to stay off the streets. Also, "low-income housing" doesn't mean "hooligan," true?

Comment

Re: PROPERTY ISSUES!!!

About three weeks ago, I found a CH teen under my stairs checking out the bike and urinating... The police responded, he was summoned and taken back to CH. A group of CH kids hangs out on my building steps everyday. They know when I am home and when I am at work. The bike was stolen during the day, and, as I previously said, it was not visible from the street.

As far as the car goes - one of the low-income housing teens told me that there was a fight very late one saturday night and that's how my car ended up dented. As I previously said, it was dented on the sidewalk side... I know who it is, there is not much I can do about it...

I completely agree that they are not all bad kids, but there are definitely some trouble-makers around. As I found out from CH security yesterday, when they get kicked out of the program, they still hang out on the block. Yesterday, there was a fight on the corner. I went and told CH, but there was nothing they could do. The teen is no longer their responsibility... Apparently he and a few other CH males gang raped a girl and were dismissed, but still linger around the neighborhood...

Comment

On another note, when I filed a police report about my bike yesterday, one of the officers explained to me that crime has SKYROCKETED in our neighborhood during the daytime since most of the officers have been put on night shifts to control the drunken element because so many clubs have opened in the area. He said there is just not enough staff to patrol the neighborhood during the day - and school is still out. BE CAREFUL. Make sure everything, especially you, is as secure as it possibly can be...

Comment

ALEXISMCKINNON

FALSE, YOU ARE IN DENIAL................

Comment

Hi Tough:

I'm really sorry about your bike. But, I'm just curious. If you were concerned about the element of kids in the nabe, and you knew beforehand there might be potential trouble, how come you didn't bring your bike up to your apt. Don't you think in retrospect, that this was bound to occur?

In my opinion, you were targeted for your bike getting stolen for the very reasons you previously mentioned. For instance, they knew when you were at home and knew when you were at work. Hello! Dangling candy in front of a baby so-to-speak...

Comment

we are talking about a very heavy gauge chain with a master lock. i thought there was no way it could be stolen... i do not know how they did it. i have two bikes, so i keep the more expensive one inside. since i live in a small basement studio, there just wasn't room for two. i really thought the chain couldn't be broken.

Comment

Hi Travis,

Imagine coming to the web site to find out that someone who disagrees with something you've said has been "screaming" at you in all caps! That's really not the atmosphere we want to create here. I understand you may disagree with Alexis - but "screaming" at her and basically calling her a name/insulting her - isn't the way I like to see you guys disagree with each other here. Please - and I leave your post here so everyone can see what I'm talking about - but please if you disagree with someone - just state your reasons for disagreeing and invite them to respond. Have a conversation about it. No need to yell or insult the other person. People come from all different points of view here and it's completely legitimate to discuss your differences but just do it in an adult and civilized way. That's all I ask. I don't censor anyone for their views, but I do form time to time censor them for their rudeness.

I know there are web sites that allow any kind of insults its members choose to throw at each other - but this isn't one of them. Try to keep in mind you're talking to your neighbors here, not some stranger on the other side of the world. I'm sure if you met Alexis on the street and got into this conversation you wouldn't start right off by yelling at her - so please don't do it here. Thanks!

Comment

what screaming ??? you are a little sensitive...................

Comment

Originally posted by toughbutsweetml
                    we are talking about a very heavy gauge chain with a master lock. i thought there was no way it could be stolen... i do not know how they did it. i have two bikes, so i keep the more expensive one inside. since i live in a small basement studio, there just wasn't room for two. i really thought the chain couldn't be broken.
                    Hi Tough:

I've got an idea. My friend, who keeps his in his and his partner's (also) small apt., purchased this gadget to suspend his bike from his ceiling with a chain that lowers it to the floor. It's kind of a groovy looking thing. I've seen others that attach to a wall as well. I have no idea where you can purchase this rack, but I would suspect that a bike store or maybe even a Home Depot kind of place might be able to supply you with one. You should check it out. It's a real space saver.

Comment

great idea, but too late now...

Comment

Thanks Jonathan for the support!

Travis, I'm not quite sure what I'm supposedly "in denial" about? You don't know me, how could you make such a blanket statement?

I have worked with kids from programs like Covenant House, and I have also known people in low-income housing projects in Manhattan. I stand by my original statements. There are bad apples everywhere and frankly, I've seen just as many affluent prep school kids causing trouble as I have runaways. It's not fair to assume that someone is a delinquent because they come from a less than ideal family or financial situation.

Comment

toughbutsweetml, thanks for clarifying. That does make sense, both with the bike and the fight resulting in the car dent. I do agree with you that every program has troublemakers, and that not every kid is on the up and up.

Once again, I'm sorry to hear about the property damage, and I do hope you get your bike back somehow!

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
                            what screaming ??? you are a little sensitive...................
                            Typing in all caps is considered "screaming" on the Internet. I know I may sound a little sensitive on this - but that's my thing. If you look around you'll see that it is extremely rare here for someone to "attack" anyone - except in the Controversial section where I let things get a little rougher.

There were two responses to Alexis' comments. Toughbutsweetml's was thoughtful and reasoned where she simply stated her reasons for believing it was these kids. If you want someone to realize that troubled kids can sometimes cause trouble -- you can just say that. There's no need to attack them and say they're in denial. That's all I'm saying -- there's a friendly way and an unfriendly way to get across the same point.

Comment

Tough...

Sorry about your bike being stolen. I wouldn't put too much hope in getting it back, though. You're a lucky lady to still have another (better) one and a car. (Have you looked into a monthly parking lot? Or tried parking on another safer block somewhere?)

More disturbing to me is this....

Apparently he and a few other CH males gang raped a girl and were dismissed, but still linger around the neighborhood...
                              If "he" and his friends gang raped a girl, they were only "dismissed" from CH? Why not arrested? And out lingering ANYWHERE except in jail? I don't get it.... Do they let juvvies out for gang rape now?

Comment

Working...
                              X