NYC Law on Installing a/c Support Brackets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Law on Installing a/c Support Brackets

Was informed by PC Richards store that I would need to purchase $35 a/c support brackets this year when installing my air conditioner units in city apartment. Salesman stated that there is a new citywide law that will put into place building inspections to ascertain installation of these brackets. Could not locate law in web search. The metal support brackets are called the "Universal AC Support" and apparently now available in all appliance stores. Installation will cost $50 per unit according to the store. Anyone have any clue as to this new law and whether co-ops are putting plans into place for enforcing it?

Re: NYC Law on Installing a/c Support Brackets

Sounds pretty ridiculous. I've had an AC in my window for decades (almost!) with no brackets and never a day of trouble. Can't imagine they'd pass such a law or that they'd have the resources to enforce it. But I doubt the guy at PC Richards was making this up. If so, we should really slam them for making up such a thing. I don't think PCR is quite that desperate though.

Comment

I haven't heard of this new law either. Surely, it's not retroactive. It must be meant for new installations. But if it's not retroactive, how would the city ever enforce it. Are they going to look up and see which ACs have brackets and which ones don't? How would they know which ones were covered under the new law and which ones weren't. Seems like one of those impossible to enforce laws. Kind of like drug our laws!

Comment

This is part of Local Law 11/98, which concerns safety related to lack of maintenance in building facades; periodic inspections are required in which a professional submits a report to the city . There is a requirement that “appurtenances” to the façades be secured, which includes window AC units. Lately, the city has been cracking down on unsafely installed window AC units, thus the new focus on proper installations. Many buildings have had their inspection reports rejected by the city lately. This ends up being a big pain for the co-op or landlord, so it’s in your best interest to do the installation properly from a liability standpoint, and most co-ops and landlords are updating their rules to require an installation that allows the windows to still be operable when the unit is in place. A lot of old installations have the unit bolted to one of the window panes, however in many windows, the panes can be removed pretty easily for cleaning, and whoops… your AC unit drops out. SO, there is no real ‘grandfathering’ of this requirement for older installations. But, you might just wait until your landlord or co-op makes you update your installtion.

See the following explanation (and nice picture of a good installation!):

http://www.randpc.com/AskTheEngineer...erWindowAC.asp

Also:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/ac_tips.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
          most co-ops and landlords are updating their rules to require an installation that allows the windows to still be operable when the unit is in place
          My landlord just made me pay for installing my a/c with brackets (I used to hold it up with a soup can ) - so this sounds right to me. But I hadn't heard of this provision before. There is no way I could open my window now. Fortunately there is another window about 4 feet to the left. Anyway it wouldn't surprise me at all if all landlords are going to require this - it seems like a big liability issue.

Comment

Our CO-OP is trying to enforce the a/c bracket rules, however, they are recommending a company that will charge over $200!! Sounds like another way to suck money out of New Yorkers.

Comment

Originally posted by KJD224
              Our CO-OP is trying to enforce the a/c bracket rules, however, they are recommending a company that will charge over $200!! Sounds like another way to suck money out of New Yorkers.
              I paid $125. Company called "Buckleys" in Brooklyn - 718 258 6776.

Comment

I paid $100. a company called J AND M INSTALLS.732-651-0699

Comment

Ha... I don't even live in Chelsea (or Manhattan) any more. Priced out. It was a nice two years while I could afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by rhywun View Post
                    Ha... I don't even live in Chelsea (or Manhattan) any more. Priced out. It was a nice two years while I could afford it.
                    Its not much expensive now....It is still affordable.
                    At least i can afford it :}

Comment

there are still many affordable housing units in manhattan but you have to know where they are. There are everything from lottery to waiting lists and yes such places as Penn south are closed unless u r on the list from years ago. There has not been another lottery in a number of years.

Comment

Hey Buckleys,.....

read this:

Make sure the unit is installed securely. Support the A/C unit from underneath or firmly
                        fasten it from inside with angles. Metal brackets, mounting rails, etc. may be used for a
                        safe installation.
                        Supporting metal brackets, interior angles, etc. should be structurally fastened to the
                        building envelope and are to be strong enough for the size and weight of the A/C unit.
                        Objects utilized to adjust the position (for example, shims) of the A/C unit must have an
                        independent source of fastening or attachment.
                        Secure leveling objects in order to prevent movement and shifting due to vibration from
                        the A/C unit and wind and weather conditions.
                        Install the A/C so that it remains in place when the window is opened and or affix it so that
                        the window cannot be opened accidentally.

Comment

Can anyone provide me with a copy of this law, please? I need it to show someone.

Comment

Working...
                          X