Speaking of 18th and 8th...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of 18th and 8th...

Anyone know what they are doing on the corner of 18th and 8th - it used to be a cute little restaurant...now it looks like some kind of massive excavation....

Re: speaking of 18th and 8th

Probably building a 25-story building.......

Comment

Re: speaking of 18th and 8th

I miss that place, I think it was called Eighteenth on Eighth. They'll probably put a DuaneReade/Starbucks/Vitamin Shop in one with condos on top, the usual.

Comment

Re: Speaking of 18th and 8th...

just what we need, another starbucks on 8th avenue in chelsea!!!

Comment

They just got approval earlier this month for a "mixed-use" residential apartment building from the D.O.B., with 4 units and 6 stories total in height. This means there will probably be a store on the ground floor.

Comment

good work kurt, thanks for the info. i guess a six story buliding is not too bad!!
            fernace - i loved 18th and 8th too. they had the best breakfast and best waitstaff in chelsea.

Comment

Originally posted by punkchop
              good work kurt, thanks for the info. i guess a six story buliding is not too bad!!
              fernace - i loved 18th and 8th too. they had the best breakfast and best waitstaff in chelsea.
              Its true!

Comment

I found out about 18th and 8th by accident...and I do miss the coffee shop there. My friend is an architech and his firm designed the building. First they had the corner designed for a 6 story building of condos (ouch)...then they found out that they could also buy the other building next door so they stopped construction and had to design the entire building again, this time bigger, but still 6 stories. So the place sat like it is for months. Then they had drama with the subway below and the design so now it's all done. They knocked down the other building and now they will build the 6 story condos on the two lots...bigger and badder than ever....and a million dollars each.

I prefer it the way it was with the coffee shop...lets just hope the ground floor is not a starbucks....and at least it's only 6 stories.

Comment

Hey Max - welcome to the site... and thanks for the great info! Very informative. Just the type of inside scoop we're starting to get used to getting around here!

Comment

I'm just nervous about so many places going out of business and nothing coming in to replace them. Why do you think that's happening so much?? I know rents are high, but aren't there businesses that could afford them and want to be in this neighborhood? I'm a little concerned....

Comment

I've noticed that too. There are so many empty stores on 8th ave now...but there are tons of empty retail stores all over the city. Not sure what's going on. Pad Thai just closed and was totally gutted. Details closed (no loss on that though!). The site at 18th n 8th is awful. How about the plans for 14th and 8th at the old parking lot. There is way too much development going on with all of the empty space. A few more buildings were torn down on 8th ave in the high 20's.

Comment

My guess is that the commercial real estate market around here has gotten a little ahead of itself. Support your Mom & Pop businesses because they are coming under a lot of pressure.

CD
                        Need computer assistance?
                        See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Agree with you all. First Big Cup, then the lighting store, then Details, now the Hardware Store by the corner of 19th have all closed. It is a little disconcerting.

Comment

... and with million dollar condos going up all along eighth avenue, i have a feeling building owners are going to feel they need to cater to their new found monied crowd. whadd'ya bet the galaxy goes soon, too?

i also miss the chinese/spanish place, mi chinita linda.

Comment

Likely, it's greedy landlords that have raised the rents too high and there are no takers. I'm surprised a lot of these chains stores can survive. I walk by the Jamba Juice on 8th Avenue and it is always empty. The new cream puff store on 23rd Street, now that's out of left field...

Comment

Working...
                              X