Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muggings

Hey Neighbors!

I live on 18th between 8th & 9th. There was a mugging the other night of a woman in the building next to Callen Lorde. Apparently there is a sweep of these muggings happening right now. Two guys followed her and clobbered her while she was trying to get in the gated area of her building. This is partly an awareness post and a request for others who have had a run in to let us all know and be on the alert. The Economy is rough and the holidays are here. It drives desperation up. Be careful , be safe, lets keep each other POSTED!
    fauxfurr

Re: muggings

Thank you for the alert. I read this post with great sadness, obviously for the victim, as well as for the City. As can be seen from the pattern of muggings around the West Village, crime is apparently trending up. As I am sure many of you have read, the NYPD canceled its January 2008 academy class, and I can foresee the July class being canceled, too. Public safety is an essential service that the City should not compromise. This is damaging on many levels: safety; moral; economy, etc. The Mayor may be able to legislate away term limits, but let's see how he handles all of the unanticipated collateral damage of the crashing economy.

Comment

Thank you for posting this - I was away for several days and this is the first I've heard about this. I live in one of the buildings next to Callen Lorde (the one further from the corner of 9th ave), so I hope you don't mind a few more questions, if you happen to have any other information about this. Would you know if it was my building or the building that would run to the corner of 9th Avenue? Do you know what day this happened, and what time of day? Any other details? I've generally felt safe in this neighborhood over the years, but I did have a sense of more crime on 9th ave in recent years, going towards 14 st. That's upsetting to think it's spreading north.

Comment

Apparently there is a sweep of these muggings happening right now. Two guys followed her and clobbered her while she was trying to get in the gated area of her building. This is partly an awareness post and a request for others who have had a run in to let us all know and be on the alert. The Economy is rough and the holidays are here. It drives desperation up. Be careful , be safe, lets keep each other POSTED!
        GuL

Comment

Working...
        X