Laundry options in Chelsea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry options in Chelsea

I recently went to three neighborhood laundries to do wash and learned that not one of the three offer hot water anymore - was told by manager at the New Waves Laundercenter on 7th And 20th that they no longer offer any hot water - due to hikes in cost of fuel. Does anyone know of a laundry that still offers hot water? Also, anyone know whether or not commercial laundries are in violation of a 'code' for failing to offer hot water to customers?

Re: Laundry options in Chelsea

Didn't Mayor Bloomberg pass a law saying hot water was unsafe and potentially unhealthy! Just kidding, but this is the first I've heard of no hot water at the laundries. Just curious, do you have something that you think wouldn't get as clean in cold water? I've never really been able to tell any difference between hot & cold when it comes to washing clothes.

Comment

Hi Charles,

Thanks for writing - hot water is definitely safer than cold, especially in the public laundries where you are sharing machines with strangers. And, it also makes clothes brighter and whiter - just like on TV!

Comment

Oh I see, you're talking about laundromats. I thought you were talking about dry cleaners! Sorry, I misunderstood you. My fault, you did say laundry! Have you checked with any of the dry cleaners that do laundry? Most of them send it out and I wonder if they use hot or cold. Not that you'd be able to get a straight answer from anybody. The people behind the counter probably have no idea.

Comment

I totally get the high cost of fuel oil thing, but to not have hot water available in such a public setting as a public laundromat is downright ridiculous and I have to agree with FrankM, unhealthy!

The term "laundromat" in and of itself, should automatically bring in safety measures such as hot water to kill bacteria in dirty clothes, the constant sanitizing of the machines themselves by the employees and the like. But of course, we can only dream can't we?

I send my laundry out a lot. Yes, I do have a laundry room in my Penn South building, and yes, I could probably save a couple of $$'s in doing it myself. But, I'm busy more often than not and don't always have a lot of time to do wash on a normal basis. Sending it out is convenient, a little more costly (you betchya), but my clothes are clean, folded and smell damn good when they are returned. Now though, after reading this new development, I'm conflicted. I might very well change my habits and do the wash myself to make sure it will come home as sanitary as is possible.

After all, isn't that why we wash our clothes....?

"CC"

Comment

No hot water?! Because of rising fuel charges? That doesn't sound right to me. They could just hike their prices a quarter a load to meet the higher fuel charges. Prices haven't gone up THAT much. I have to wonder about that excuse.

I used to send my laundry out a lot. It was an extravagance of mine. But those laundromats are, it must be said, brutal to clothing. They have turned their dryers up so high, to speed up the process, that they bake your clothes. Using a laundromat with regularity is a sure way to tire out your clothes long before their natural cycle would be over. Now I just wash my duds in my building's machine before letting them air dry naturally. My colors stay bright longer, and my clothes last much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by chelseachick69 View Post
              I could probably save a couple of $$'s in doing it myself.
              I find sending out my laundry to be very expensive -- I do it from time-to-time but I think it costs at least 2x than the cost of doing it in the coin-op machines in my building's basement.

That said, shirts and pants I send out though for that just-pressed biz casual look

Comment

Working...
              X