Block party 15th Street between 8th and 9th avenues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block party 15th Street between 8th and 9th avenues

I moved in last year in March from the Netherlands and I love this neighborhood already. Since I don't know that many people here yet I would like to get to know my neighbors and I was wondering if there have been block parties on 15th Street between 8th and 9th avenues before and if anyone else would like to have one. It would be nice to be connected.

The Difference Between Heaven and Hell

The Difference Between Heaven and Hell

"I am told the story of a Rabbi. His name was Rabbi Haim, a preacher who traveled from town to town delivering religious sermons that stressed the importance of respect for one?s fellow man. He often began his talks with the following story:

I once ascended to the firmaments. I first went to see Hell and the sight was horrifying. Row after row of tables was laden with platters of sumptuous food, yet the people seated around the tables were pale and emaciated, moaning with hunger. As I came closer, I understood their predicament. Every person held a full spoon. But their arms were splinted with wooden slats, so they could not bend either elbow to bring the food to their mouths. It broke my heart to hear the tortured groans of these poor people, as they held their food so near but could not consume it.

Next I went to visit Heaven. I was surprised to see the same setting I had witnessed in Hell ? row after row of long tables laden with food. But in contrast to Hell, the people here in Heaven were sitting contentedly talking with each other, obviously sated from their sumptuous meal. As I came closer, I was amazed to discover that here, too, each person had his arms splinted on wooden slats that prevented him from bending his elbows. How, then, did they manage to eat?

As I watched, a man picked up his spoon and dug it into the dish before him. Then he stretched across the table and fed the person across from him! The recipient of this kindness thanked him and returned the favor by leaning back across the table to feed his benefactor.

I suddenly understood. Heaven and Hell offer the same circumstances and conditions. The critical difference lies in the way the people treat each other." http://tinyurl.com/2uc4f2

Sayitwithflowers, welcome to Chelsea. First off there are 3 block associations on 15th street west.

15th Street 100 West 15th Street Block Association 15th St., between 6th and 7th Avs.
    200 West 15th Street Association 15th St., between 7th and 8th Avs.
    300 West 15th Street Block Association 15th St., between 8th and 9th Avs.

I currently have no more specific contact information on these then the above, however I think I can steer you to someone who does.

"The Council of Chelsea Block Associations is a coalition of more than 20 blocks in the Chelsea area with thousands of resident William Borock, President
    Council of Chelsea Block Associations 145 West 17th Street New York, NY 10011 H-212-989-1269"

I too am a recent move in to the area and spent a considerable amount of time thinking up ways to better become part of the community not only for myself but for all of our neighbors. I have a lot to say on the subject and at some point will be starting a "Creating Community" thread on CYB with some of my thoughts on the matter. One of my efforts in this direction that's now coming to fruition is creating a directory of community activities and resources http://chelsea.clickyourblock.com/bb...read.php?t=910 The reason I have the information on the Council to share with you is because I chanced upon it in my search for community resource listings for it. The community resource listing is still a work in progress, but in a month or two when somewhat complete I will show you how it can be turned into a ticket for the block party you desire.

You're from the Netherlands, when a newcomer moved into your old neighborhood what were the ways people reached out to them?

Comment

Re: Block party 15th Street between 8th and 9th avenues

Thanks to Southpaw I got in contact with the person who is representing the Block Association of 15th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues. He thought this party would be a good idea. It has never been done before. The Corlear School was so nice to give permission to have the party be held there. The following invitation went out
      INVITATION
      for all
      300-block neighbors 15th Street

MEET YOUR NEIGHBOR
      GET-TO-GETHER

At Corlears School
      Sunday November 11th, 2007
      From 10.30am-1.30pm

Please bring your Home Made Cakes, Cookies, etc.
      We’ll provide coffee, juice, etc.

For more ideas and RSVP

I hope this invitation reaches you if you are a neighbor on the 300-block on 15th Street and that you are coming. Please bring homemade bakes or food. A quiche or something savory would also be nice.

Comment

I am very much looking forward to meeting my new neighbors.

Comment

Sayitwithflowers,

A few days ago I was emailed that you had gotten together a block party for your neighbors. I seem to live in a world where there are no coincidences. As it turns out it "just so happened" I had made plans to go to a Highline lecture at 76 9th Ave, between 15th and 16th streets and 8th and 9th ave, on Nov 7th right across the street from you. The host for the lecture was... Google! So I took a copy of your block party invitation with me and I found the Google rep at the meeting and let them know they were invited to your Block party. The rep I talked to said she would look into distributing the invitation. They've only been here for a year now so they're just about as new to the neighborhood as you are. I don't know if anyone from Google will actually show or not , but it will be interesting if it some of the Google staff do show. Good luck with your block party.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4489/google1pz4.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X