Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew this was coming but...

...I'm sad.

The upcoming destruction of part of Eighth between 16th and 17th wasn't news to any of us who read this site or other Chelsea related blogs...but yesterday was the first time i saw that ALL of the stores on that part of the block were closed. I hadn't been to Cajun in awhile, but it was a classic. I didn't particularly care for that pizzeria but it seemed to have good business. Chelsea Grill claims they'll reopen in the 'hood, but I'm sure we've lost the charm of that enclosed garden forever. And those burgers....

I bet this is how the residents of lower Broadway felt when all the funky shops closed to make way for Victoria's Secret and Pier whatever.

Re: I knew this was coming but...

Chelsea Grill claims they'll reopen in the 'hood, but I'm sure we've lost the charm of that enclosed garden forever. And those burgers....
    Wow, now I'm really bummed. Another great Chelsea place shut out of business. Those burgers were the best and that garden.....dang!

I bet this is how the residents of lower Broadway felt when all the funky shops closed to make way for Victoria's Secret and Pier whatever.
    No doubt. And the residents of Chelsea have been lamenting the closing of our funky second-hand and antique shops, flea markets, our fav deli's, health food stores and fruit stands, laundrymats, hardware stores, local restaurants and coffee shops, and on and on.....for the last 15-20 years. And all we get is more of the same.Starbucks, Subway, chain drugstores, wireless stores, GNC, Gap, Jamba Juice and now Arcadia....yeah, real useful stuff there. So, join the mournful and be forewarned...better get used to it. NYC ain't the funky happening place it used to be. Now it's turning into a filthy crowded suburb.

Sorry to be so down, but the news of Chelsea Grill's demise is just TOO MUCH!

Comment

Oh no! That's really bad news. Especially for my friend who used to work as a weekend bartender at the "Grill!" Some of my friends used to hang out there from time-to-time. Oh well...progress. Chelsea is changing. I'm not so sure I'm going to like the "New Eighth Avenue" so much anymore.

Comment

Yes, I got the full impact last night. I knew The Cajun was probably closed by now but I walked by just in case there was a chance for one more of Sean's superb martinis and a couple more tunes from the jazz band But there was nothing but those bleak shutters over the bars and stores and feeble light from the few places still hanging on. Talk about desolate!

Comment

I really feel bad for young people who come to this city and will never get to experience it in all it's funky, offbeat glory! Instead, they'll be getting a corporate city full of Duane Reades and Starbucks, to name only a few. Ugh.

Comment

So does anyone know what's going there and why they've all been closing?

Comment

cnicoll, it will be yet more "luxury" housing.

http://chelsea.clickyourblock.com/bb...read.php?t=410

That thread discusses it, and has a link to an article with an artist's rendering of the new building.

I had no idea it was happening so fast - I really wanted to stop in & have one more burger & a glass of wine at Chelsea Grill. I haven't gone there much lately, but I used to go there quite a lot several years ago.

Comment

Just another brick in the Wall...

Goodbye Cajun, goodbye Chelsea Grill, goodbye cool, funky Chelsea, RIP. Hello (but not welcome) generic, boring big box bull#%&.

I'm heartbroken and angry at the upcoming destruction of 8th & 16th. We mourn together, Neighbors.

Comment

Re: Just another brick in the Wall...

You know what JoJo? So am I!!!!!!

Comment

On a much brighter note - I LOVE your kitty picture!

Comment

Thanks JoJo. But I can't take credit for the sweet little baby you see there. I actually found it on a clipart website under "Cute Kitties." I just fell in love with it. I was going to attach a picture of my cat but, I take such lousy pictures, I just thought I could find a better photo that the ones I (attempted) to take.

Comment

Working...
                      X