Screaming Kids Village Chelsea Preschool W14ST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming Kids Village Chelsea Preschool W14ST

Any one out there other than me being affected by the noise level of the kids "playing" outside on the roof or terrace of this preschool. The supervisors/teachers just let the kids run wild all day, any suggestions my windows face the 2nd floor play area and it sounds like the group is in my flat.
    Lady P

Re: Screaming Kids Village Chelsea Preschool W14ST

well, in the winter- it stops!

Comment

Unfortunatly the kids are out there winter spring summer and fall. I have no problem with children playing, its that 14-15 preschoolers with no agenda or games to play just run around literally screaming and shriking. I would too if I could. Ive gone freelance in the last year, and work from home a lot so Im around the noise all day long, its a nightmare, especially in the summer with windows open. Have you been here long enough to hear what a 3 or 4 year old sounds like when they are being sprayed by a hose. I know Im probably affected more than most because of the closeness of the noise, thats why I was wondering if anyone else had the same kind of problem.

Comment

i'm on the south side of fourteenth and can hear it, but not it's that loud. but if i can hear it that far, it but be something else by you.

Comment

ladyp - I really feel for you. I totally know what you're going through. I work at home as well and have to put up with all kinds of noises that no one else does. People seem to think it's ok to make whatever noise they want between 9 & 5. I guess we're in the minority and we just have to put up with it. But your situation sounds really miserable. I'm thinking if maybe you can find a few other people who are at home during the day as well and go meet with the principal and file a complaint - that possibly that might do some good. If not, maybe filing a complaint with your Community Board might help as well. But it would help if you could get as many people as possible to join in on the complaint with you.

Comment

Hey,

There are a couple of things I think you could try.
            First of all you could try using a walkman or noise cancelling headphones <only good of course if hearing phones and stuff is not integral> I use this method during the leafblowing /lowmowing marathons on my block.

Second is to have a friendly word with the school.

Third is call 311 and ask them to send the DEP to check the noise level. We do actually have laws about how much noise is acceptable. For instance 75db inside your apartment from an outside source will earn the offender a ticket to court and most likely a fine. I believe the limit is aroiund 46db. Also a new law will be taking affect, sorry I don't know when, with even more stringent controls over noise levels. For example if you are using a walkman on the street and I can hear it you can now be fined for that. It's a basic your rights end when they infringe on my rights. At least that's my truely laymans take on the spirit of the new laws. Which thankfully also cover leafblowers! which are the bane of my existence. :-)

Hope that helps. Cheers, MN

Comment

Wow MN - good information! How did you know all that - about the laws and stuff. One of our mayors (I can't remember if it was Giuliani - or Bloomgberg - don't get me started!!), said that noise complaints were the largest single complaint topic 311 faced. And I have to say - from the looks of things here on this site - it certainly seems to be true. Wouldn't you say noise complaints have been voiced here more than complaints about any other single thing?

I would love to know where you got noise cancelling headphones. I have a pair for when I fly, but they have to be plugged into the cockpit radio system in order to be powered. So, I'd love to know where you can get normal ones, and ones that are hopefully less bulky than my flight phones.

I'd also like to know if we average people can get a device that measures decibels. That'd be cool to have as well.

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding to my plight. One day when the noise of the screamers was so bad I did call 311 and was told because the noise was from a school and not from a machine or construction there was no justification for installing a noise meter. I have also spoke to the director of the preschool who assured me on more than one occasion that he would be on top of the teachers to maintain some sort of control, well that lasted like one day. Now that spring is here and my windows are open, the problem has been loudly renewed. I dont want to walk around in headphones although that could be the answer for some. I will try again to talk to the director, I actually invited him over to my apt to see and hear what Im listening to all day long but he declined. Im pretty frustrated, and anticipating a summer from hell when I am home, as I said different kids are out there from 10am-4:30, literally with no direction, nor are they given positive things, or projects to, its a free for all.

Comment

I use earplugs when necessary. I live in Penn South on the Ninth Avenue side. It's not very noisy, but on occasion there are a lot of sirens (sometime I think the fire/police depts. change their routes, because there are times when I don't here the sirens as often). Also, as has been said here before, the Penn South walls are somewhat thin, so when it does get noisy inside the building, I pop in the ear plugs. It's worth it to try different brands to see what works for you. The ones I use are called "Flents Quiet Please! Foam Ear Plugs". You can get 'em at any drug store.

Comment

if you lived there before the school you may have a gripe but like people
                    who move near an airport and then complain about the noise you have to live with it or move to a small town ,,new york is a big and very noisy city.
                    so deal with it ...let kids enjoy being kids and when they grow up they can complain about the noise...maybe at that time there will really sound proof windows.....

Comment

Hi everyone, new to this board just signed up today and it is a pretty awesome idea. I noticed recently that W16th between 7th and 8th has a "no trucks except local delivery" sign and if I'm not mistaken a "no honking penalty" sign. Anyone know how they were able to get these? Is there some sort of block association?

Living on W15th closer to 9th the honking is so unbearable during rush hours (mostly the p.m.) and Friday/Saturday nights with everyone heading to the Meat Packing District. Actually is not even honking it is more leaning on the horn. I think if there were some sort of block association we may be able to resolve or at least point out some these quality of life noise issues to who ever can make changes. Whether it be to the owners of the old PA building, the school, Depratment of Transportation.

Comment

Hi WBFNYC - and welcome to our site! I'm glad you joined us here. I just read your post - above - and thought I'd suggest to you that maybe you should start a new "blog" or conversation with it - here in the W15th-16th St area. Since it's a different subject than the subject of this blog - that of the noise from that school - you could start your own new conversation about that.

Let us know if you need anything while getting to know your way around the web site!
                        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by billhaenlein
                          if you lived there before the school you may have a gripe but like people
                          who move near an airport and then complain about the noise you have to live with it or move to a small town ,,new york is a big and very noisy city.
                          so deal with it ...let kids enjoy being kids and when they grow up they can complain about the noise...maybe at that time there will really sound proof windows.....

Whew....thank you, Bill. Look folks, if you can't stand the heat get out of the fire.

Here are some other of my favorite noise infractions....

Road crews hammering and drilling for hours on end sometimes late at night;

Drummers and bands practicing in their apartments with no soundproofing;

Living across from a subway el train....oh, what fun;

Adolescents on buses and trains yelling, screaming and cursing like no one else exists;

People walking down the street yelling, screaming and cursing like no one else exists, especially children, undermining parent's best efforts to train them to speak respectfully (see above);

Adults who should know better holding loud conversations on buses and trains, on and off their cell-phones;

Living in a building with thin walls, especially when you're in an apartment next to the stairwell or over the front door;
                          living across from a school where kids are allowed to take over the block for hours out of the day;
                          living on a block with a nightclub with drunks and revelers yelling, screaming, cursing and urinating on your block everynight;

Shall I continue?

The family next door to me has four small children, all under age seven, and they yell, scream and curse in a foreign language all day, every day. When it gets to be too much I close my windows, crank the A/C (in the summer) and put on my stereo loud enough to block them out but low enough not to disturb MY neighbors.

Kids playing and enjoying themselves? Sounds like an affirmation of life. Relax. ;-D

Comment

Bill,
                            You are so off track here, first of all I have lived in my apartment (my home) for 12 years and the school was not here when I moved in. How insensitive of you, I know NY is a "big noisy city" Ive lived here all my life. Maybe you failed to read my complaint thouroughly before you responded. These kids are not happily playing, they are running around in a very small area 4feet from my windows screaming, banging on things and yelling, while the supervisors stand around and do nothing to encourage constructive and fun play time.
                            Why should these privledged kids who are 3-5 year olds have more rights than me, the noise inhibits my work and causes me stress.
                            Please dont preach to me about kids being kids, you try spending a week with the noise and then respond again.

Comment

i too sometimes work from home - and the screaming children can get RIDICULOUSLY loud. and i actually love kids. it is not a simple matter of letting children be children, or living in a big, noisy city. i've lived next to this for 6 years (on the 14th st. side) and am constantly amazed at how the children are allowed to run amuck. having taught children myself, and an uncle many times over, i would never condone the way these children are allowed to literally scream at full volume for an entire 20 minute recess. not only is it disturbing, i think its poor childcare.

Comment

Working...
                              X