Screaming Kids Village Chelsea Preschool W14ST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screaming Kids Village Chelsea Preschool W14ST

I don't know. A major aspect of living in a city is sharing limited space, and recognizing and respecting others' space and needs.

I don't think "kids being kids" = "screaming in a manner that causes a serious disruption." Kids can be instructed to keep their voices down. The school could even make a game of it if they were so inclined. At any rate, I think they should recognize they're in a residential community and make some effort to work with the kids to come up with a solution.

Comment

I agree with you guys on these kids. And "ladyp" I think you have every right to complain. You're not complaining because there's a school next door that gets occasionally noisy - you're complaining because the school allows the kids to go completely out of control. Totally legitimate complaint I think.

Why does it seem that we live in a society where it is taboo to tell kids what to do? Or, make them follow certain rules of behavior? Why do we insist on treating kids as if they're adults, i.e. letting them do whatever they want - unchecked? Why don't we see that kids aren't adults and they need to be treated differently?

And you have to wonder, how soon would it be after the 3 year olds were told to keep it down - that a parent would complain or sue - saying their rights to free speech were being violated!!?? We truly live in a messed up society.

Comment

Originally posted by JonD
        I agree with you guys on these kids. And "ladyp" I think you have every right to complain. You're not complaining because there's a school next door that gets occasionally noisy - you're complaining because the school allows the kids to go completely out of control. Totally legitimate complaint I think.

Why does it seem that we live in a society where it is taboo to tell kids what to do? Or, make them follow certain rules of behavior? Why do we insist on treating kids as if they're adults, i.e. letting them do whatever they want - unchecked? Why don't we see that kids aren't adults and they need to be treated differently?

And you have to wonder, how soon would it be after the 3 year olds were told to keep it down - that a parent would complain or sue - saying their rights to free speech were being violated!!?? We truly live in a messed up society.
        I totally agree.

Comment

From comments here it seems this could really be beyond the usual "kid noise" we all expect. Perhaps you and your neighbors can document what is going on by (video)taping the action. If the caretakers and the school are "slacking off" at least you'll have some proof. I'm sorry I can't direct you to the city agency or politician who might handle this but I'm sure you can find out.

Why not consider taking your problem to some of those consumer reporters on TV news? I know, if it was MY small child that I entrusted to a caretake or school, and they allowed this kind of behavior or lack or discipline .....well, let's just say, I would be MOST unhappy and highly P.O.'ed.

Comment

Disclaimer: I know nothing about bringing up children & admit to being pretty immature myself.

Now that is out of the way, can I assume that all childcare businesses have to have certification beyond just a business license?

Can the licensing agency be brought to bear?

What claims are being made by the offending establishments that are not being met?
            I.e. is a certain amount of constructive time-structured activities to be mixed with wild abandon?

Do the parents know?

Are the kids being supplied with too much sugar?
            Can we get a count on the number of empty juice boxes?

CD
            Need computer assistance?
            See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Wow, the feedback and support to my problem has been great. In choosing to live in and love NYC, ofcourse you have to take the good with the bad, and we all have to ignore or put up with certain noise, bad manners and habits of some residents, or lately it seems non residents that are coming to party in our hood, The "New" MeatPacking District (but thats another story)
              and I want to stick to my personal problem. The other day there was literally a screaming match between the kids, I opened my window and tried to get the attendents attention, ( I am that close to the play terrace) and found she was talking on her cell phone, she did see me, stayed on the phone, walked away and then in a minute or two the screaming stopped, I guess when she finished her conversation.
              I have thought of posting a thread to parents of these preschoolers, but dont know if it appropriate, possibly some have already read some of the comments written by other residents. I think my best bet now is to have a meeting with the director of the school, I have spoken to him on the phone, but maybe a more personal approach will help, the noise continues every single day. I have called 311, and also checked the zoning laws, but got nowhere. There seems to me that there are too many kids playing in such a small space, but I dont know the laws in regard to that. I am not a child hater, and consider myself to be an considerate tolerant New Yorker, I would rather be writting about how much I love my neighbors and neighborhood which I do, but now that the warm weather is upon us, I need to try to ensure that I can open my windows and curtains and enjoy the sun, the weather, and some peace.
              I hope to move on from my problem, and use this site for informative, interesting and positive thoughts, its a great resourse for our neighborhood, and I hope more and more residents check it out and take advantage of being able to communicate with their neighbors.

Comment

I believe the school you are talking about (345 West 14?) is in a building that is being gutted by the end of this year. All tennants are being asked to move out by October.

Comment

Join the 15th Street Block Association

Asociaci?n Tepeyac de New York
                  at 251 West 14th Street Between 7th & 8th Avenues, North Side, near 8th Avenue, Ground floor Entrance.

Our meeting schedule for 2006 is for 7:00 to 8:00 pm on the third Monday of every odd numbered month.
                  Please mark your calendar and save these future dates too:

Monday, May 15;
                  Monday, July 17;
                  Monday, September 18; and
                  Monday, November 20.
                  Sharon Mear
                  www.trainingcatsandogs.com
                  212-727-2871

Comment

I dropped the July meeting into the Calendar feature.
                    CD
                    Need computer assistance?
                    See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Thank you.
                      Sharon Mear
                      www.trainingcatsandogs.com
                      212-727-2871

Comment

let the kids play and scream all they want. leave the kids alone.
                        take care of what is really wrong in the neighborhood e.g CRACK,COCAINE,AND CRYSTAL just to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by capri
                          let the kids play and scream all they want. leave the kids alone.
                          take care of what is really wrong in the neighborhood e.g CRACK,COCAINE,AND CRYSTAL just to name a few.
                          Well...I don't think anyone is objecting to the kids playing. They're objecting to the kids causing a disturbance. Just because they're kids doesn't mean that they have the right to disrupt other people. They should be taught to respect their community and neighbors and not carry on.

It's a quality of life issue. And it does have an impact.

Comment

If you have experienced a problem with Crack Cocaine and Crystal in the neighborhood you should state it, and open it up to a discussion. I happily have not been affected by Drug users in the area, but know the problem exists and am sympathetic to anyone who has been affected. My problem may seem slight to you, but for me its a nightmare. "let the kids play and scream all they want" that may be OK if they werent doing it everyday from 10AM-5Pm Monday-Friday 5ft from my windows.
                            One problem has nothing to do with the other, my issue "loudly" effects the time spent in my apartment, whether trying to relax or work. The spraying of the kids with a hose has already started, and I have to live with the noise issue everyday, do I have to say again that these kids are not sensored in any way, screaming and screaching is the norm. Why cant the school set rules and goals and come up with constructive ideas to make the recess outdoors interesting and fun instead of every kid for himself without any control or constructive educational play.
                            Im not negating your issue in the neighborhood, please do not negate mine.

Comment

kids can be very annoying

Comment

capri is tottaly off base. Good of you to correctly indicate she can start her own thread w/ her topic of choice-- rather than chiming in and trying to minimize the inappropriateness (and perhaps illegal) noise level that is affecting your quality of life. There are times and places for wild play-- part of the reason we send our youngens to school is to help socialize them and teach them to play and learn in constructive ways w/o becoming bad citizens and neighbors at such a tender age.
                                Lady P good luck in your endeavor to force the adults who have been entrusted with the care of these preschoolers to be accountable for noise levels that seem so clearly to have become completely unacceptable polution in your proximate location. Nobody would want to have to put up w/ what u'r dealing w/ no matter how much you want to let kids be themselves (themsleves, right? not mini Monsters!)

Comment

Working...
                                X