onyx building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: onyx building

Thanks for the video. I just finished watching it and now I can't wait for the store to open. If the appetizing and baked goods counters are as good as I'm hoping they're going to be then I'll be shopping there often. And fresh fish????? Omigosh! This all looks wonderful.

Comment

yes it's wonderful but prices arent that cheap- especially meat and fish- wuality is good though and i'll being shopping there too- switching between whole foods and fairway. what i would normally get in whole foods i will be able to find in fairway. that said - trader joes has better prices but that said it all depnds what youare looking for. fairway isnt big on frozen food and thi is their smallest store. Gristedes will be making changes to compete as well so expect more selections in pre-cut veggies as fairway is known for their produce department.Sosay you want cut onions- that will soon be offered so best to compare prices always.i am still looking forward to fairways opening .there is plenty of room for all LOL and best yet they are UFCW local 1500 so its a union store unlike whole foods. may the race begin LOL

Comment

RE: “…Gristedes will be making changes to compete as well…”

Hopefully that will include cleaning up the store in London Terrace, eliminating vermin, not letting frozen and refrigerated goods thaw overnight and then re-freeze/re-cool them in the morning, bringing their prices down from the stratosphere and educating a couple of their employees about “attitude”. I shudder at the thought that Catsimatidis might run the City the same way he runs Gristede’s.

Comment

LOL- actually gristedes recently had a meeting with their employees about customer service so that should help somewhat. wouldnt expect as many changes though at the 9th avenue store. actually the store that has the worse freezers are NSA supermarkets. you have to be careful with their ice cream freezer. that sort of problem i do not believe is present at the gristedes on 26th st. if you notice that gristedes on 9th avenue does have a less selection of cut ups- they dont even put eggs in their chef and cobb salads since i dont think that store carries precooked eggs.

Comment

yes it's wonderful but prices arent that cheap

Fairway is certainly cheaper Gristedes for most, if not all, items. I've often wondered how Gristedes stays in business, especially with so many locations so close to one another.

Comment

I think the reason for having so many stores in this part of the neighborhood is simply to deny the space to the competition, same as is done by CVS, Duane Reade and Rite Aid.

Comment

gristedes does have a monopoly- having 3 stores close by but itstrue duane reade, rite aid

Comment

I'm no real estate expert, but I would think that Gristedes' leases would be more profitable than their supermarkets. Out of curiosity, does anyone remember Red Apple supermarkets?

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Got confused. I thought Fairway was opening in the empty Onyx Building spot. But, after reading for a bit, I realized it is opening on 6th Avenue.

Comment

originally i thought itwould be onyx building but was wrong on that- i knew firway was opening in chelsea as i dida little snooping around when iwent to kips bay store asking around. well its opening at 11.30 wed. after the ribbon cutting. boy its going to be so slow that week no matter which other supermarket you go to LOL- everyone will be headed to fairway just to take a look, i think whole foods will be the biggest competition to fairway but i do expect gristedes and trader joe to be slower than usual

Comment

sign up in the window of the onyx building- looks like tribecca pediatrics is opening there- i know there is one on west 26th st so maybe that space is too small and they are expanding is my guess. they seem to have several other offices and openign up one in LA- not something i need but its good for families. there may not be that many pediatricians in the area

Comment

Re: Fairway

Today I went shopping at Trader Joes, Whole Foods and a final stop at the new Fairway. I think there are different reasons for shopping at each store. If you like delis there is in doubt Fairway is the place to go. Its huge with all sorts of interesting things. But, Im not into delis so I wont be going to Fairway for that.

I found the prices at Fairway for those products I like to be the same or less at Whole Foods. And, the prices, again for products I like, were the best at Trader Joes.

Comment

i agree with Melian depending on what i need i shop in all the stores. organic big cherries were on sale in fairway at 3.99 a pound and so delicious i need to go back. The salmon salad was also a winner. Trader Joes has the bet prices and their own labels. for me its about meat and fish and i would get them in wither whole foods as i was or fairway if i dontget down to chelsea market for fish. I think fairway is cutting into other store businesses. fairway doesnt havr a big frozen dept. so i can see less losses in that dept. for ompetition

Comment

Working...
                              X