Rentals:What you can get for $20,000 a month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rentals:What you can get for $20,000 a month

A couple of weeks ago I walked over to the laundromat on 25th St. and eighth Avenue to do my laundry and was shocked to find that there was nobody there anymore. They have now moved around the corner to 26 Street between seventh and eighth Avenue. I talked to one of the managers there and found out that they were forced to leave because their rent was raised to $20,000 a month.

I've talked to other shop owners on busy streets who have also have told me of rents in the same astronomical ranges and I've often wondered how some of the stores which don't seem to get a lot of business are able to pay rents of $10-$20,000 a month.

In any case the laundromat is going to be replaced by a 7-11.

7-Eleven Aggressively Expanding In NYC With Over 100 New Locations

Phew, New York City's getting more generic 7-Eleven convenience stores like the rest of mini-mall America! No more will consumers be forced to tolerate the tiresome idiosyncrasies of locally-owned and operated convenience stores; soon they'll find a shiny new 7-Eleven on just about every corner, where they can enjoy the same shopping experience they used to enjoy back home in Ohio.

http://gothamist.com/2012/02/23/7-el...panding_in.php

Re: Rentals:What you can get for $20,000 a month

I saw a "space for rent" sign on the window of the 99 cent store on 23rd St. I don't know if that means they want to share their (small) space or they are closing up. I don't usually go in there (it is such a sad 99 cent store.)

Comment

I asked about the 99 cent store sign and was told they're still in negotiations with the landlord. The story I got was that the landlord has asked to *triple* their current rent but is having difficulty (poor baby) finding a tenant for that amount so meanwhile he's letting the 99 cent store stay until they work something out.

There's no rent controls on commercial tenancies and for anyone who thinks that rent control is a bad thing because a free market makes more competition, HAH! No rent control means money for landlords and a raped neighborhood for everyone else.

Have you seen the rent amounts for the new bldg. that just went up on 25th & 9th? Studio $2,237/mo; 1 bedroom $2,845; 2 bedroom $3,421. Didn't the sign on the building say "Affordable rental"? Affordable to who(m)???????

Comment

I believe that building on 9th avenue has a few apartments for low income set aside along with the more expensive market rate ones. Did you knwo one of that fancy buildings on the corner of 26th Street and 7th Avenue where TD Bank is has both types of apartments- set aside an amount of low income apartments with market rates ones also right in that building. So before you come to any conclusions you must know there are some building that offer both but there are waiting lists and there are not many affordable apartments in manhattan. I did not see that sign up about the 99 cents store. I do shop there and at jacks 99 cents store. You can get good stuff there so hope they stay. I buy things like toilet paper and paper towels, but new london offers them also at a good price= best kept secret. Jacks has other stuff I like. the 3rd floor which is more many is a find for me- they have great stuff downstairs too

Comment

Working...
        X