Frame Shop Closing - Rent Doubled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Shop Closing - Rent Doubled

I was in the frame shop on 7th Ave just north of 23rd today and they told me they were closing because the landlord was more than doubling their rent. They currently pay $6,500 a month and the landlord informed them the rent would more than double to $15,000 if they wanted to renew their lease. Outrageous! No wonder all our neighborhood mom & pop shops are disappearing. It's hard to understand how rents could more than double in a short three-year period. I know Chelsea is popular - but is it really that popular now than it was three years ago?

Oh and by the way - everything in the shop was on sale - prices were really slahsed.

All I can say is PLEASE - not another Duane Reade or bank!

Re: Frame Shop Closing - Rent Doubled

Originally posted by Jonathan
    Duane Reade has probably exhausted New York's supply of surly customer service people by now.

Comment

Speaking of which, I wonder somewhat nervously what might be going in where the Hold Everything store was at 7th Avenue and 16th Street. If it's a Citibank or a North Fork, etc., I'll be really upset.

Comment

I was in the frame shop on 7th Ave just north of 23rd today and they told me they were closing because the landlord was more than doubling their rent. They currently pay $6,500 a month and the landlord informed them the rent would more than double to $15,000 if they wanted to renew their lease. Outrageous! No wonder all our neighborhood mom & pop shops are disappearing. It's hard to understand how rents could more than double in a short three-year period. I know Chelsea is popular - but is it really that popular now than it was three years ago?

Oh and by the way - everything in the shop was on sale - prices were really slahsed.

Hi Jonathon:

Thanks for the heads'-up. I love that store. Is this the shop that's located on the west side of the avenue; same block as the Bombay Palace? If it is, I will definitely go in and express my disappointment in their leaving.They sell some really groovy framed posters. Funny how you should mention this today, as I am in the market for new artwork. It's just a shame that it'll be at the expense of a long-time Chelsea resident as this shop. And, you're absolutely right. What we DON'T need is another Duane Reade or bank for sure. As much as I am a tried and true "Chelseaite," I'm getting thoroughly disgusted as to what's going on in our neighborhood developmentally. It's getting totally out of hand. But, what can we do to slow down the process???? I suspect not a whole hell of a lot. Any suggestions would be welcomed. CC69

Comment

Hey ChelseaChick,

Yep, that's the one - on the west side of the street next to Bombay Palace. I used to go there from time to time to get some of my photographs framed. I'm going to miss them just because they were the nearest frame shop.

I think it is disturbing what's happening in our neighborhoods. And it's not just Chelsea either. It's all over the city. I was just on the UWS tonight - where I used to live. The building I used to live in on 70th & Broadway, just had a Wachovia Bank replace the Lens Crafters that had always been there. And since I was already up there and needed a few things and since there's nothing really close to where I live on W 30th, I decided to stop in at my favorite UWS deli. Only to discover IT WAS CLOSED!! I suddenly thought about what I had been reading from you guys here on cYb and realized it's all part of the same trend.

I don't think there's really anything we can do to stop it - other than boycott banks and drug stores after they move in! But that's pretty unrealistic. One of us is going to have to start a weekend shuttle service to take us all grocery shopping in NEW JERSEY!!

I don't know what's going to happen. Looks like to me we're going to end up with one grocery store every 15 blocks and 20 banks and 20 Duane Reades in the same 15 blocks! On my old corner on the UWS - I think there are like 4 banks now within a 2 block radius.

Comment

As much as I despise Duane Reade (well, I like the *idea* of Duane Reade - the execution sucks), I have to admit I like the new Chase ATMs - since my bank is Chase

Comment

Hey ChelseaChick,

Yep, that's the one - on the west side of the street next to Bombay Palace. I used to go there from time to time to get some of my photographs framed. I'm going to miss them just because they were the nearest frame shop.

I think it is disturbing what's happening in our neighborhoods. And it's not just Chelsea either. It's all over the city. I was just on the UWS tonight - where I used to live. The building I used to live in on 70th & Broadway, just had a Wachovia Bank replace the Lens Crafters that had always been there. And since I was already up there and needed a few things and since there's nothing really close to where I live on W 30th, I decided to stop in at my favorite UWS deli. Only to discover IT WAS CLOSED!! I suddenly thought about what I had been reading from you guys here on cYb and realized it's all part of the same trend.

I don't think there's really anything we can do to stop it - other than boycott banks and drug stores after they move in! But that's pretty unrealistic. One of us is going to have to start a weekend shuttle service to take us all grocery shopping in NEW JERSEY!!

I don't know what's going to happen. Looks like to me we're going to end up with one grocery store every 15 blocks and 20 banks and 20 Duane Reades in the same 15 blocks! On my old corner on the UWS - I think there are like 4 banks now within a 2 block radius.
              That's what I was thinking J. Think about what happened with Rite-Aid, CVS and Duane Reade. You've got the CVS on 8th Avenue and 24th Street. Then, you've got Rite-Aid on the N.E. corner of 24th & 8th. Now, if you walk 1 block west and 2 blocks south, you've got yet another Rite-Aid on 22nd & 9th. Oh. Then, you've got the Medicine Shoppe on 8th between 25th & 26th and then not 1/2 block north you've got Duane Reade!! Geez! What the heck. Might as well open another drug chain store on every corner. Not a bad thing. I like covenience, but for goodness sake...we're surrounded. It's crazy. Oh well. Viva la progress and all that crap.

Comment

And you got the new Duane Reade opening in the Broadmoor on 23rd betw 8 and 9 ave!

Comment

There are two Duane Reades on 7th Ave less than 2 blocks apart, at 12th and 14th... what the heck?! Well, at least the lines at 12th St are a LOT shorter.....

Comment

Originally posted by PennSouthGuy
                    And you got the new Duane Reade opening in the Broadmoor on 23rd betw 8 and 9 ave!
                    Yeah, I recognized the columns when I walked past it tonight.

I want a supermarket, dammit!

A slightly off-topic question - did Penn South originally own the land where the Broadmoor is, and sell it to them before the PS buildings went up, or was that already there when PS was built?

Comment

the building was already there when PS was built - same thing with the churches on the property

Comment

Originally posted by PennSouthGuy
                        the building was already there when PS was built - same thing with the churches on the property
                        Interesting. Thanks.

I live in the same building as you, btw, but I've only been here just over a year.

Comment

Working...
                        X