Chelsea Cinema: question: bedbugs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea Cinema: question: bedbugs?

I'm getting worried about going to the movies. Then I heard about AMCs closing August 17 to treat for bedbugs.

Does anyone know about Loews 34th St.? Chelsea Cinema?

Yikes.

Re: Chelsea Cinema: question: bedbugs?

I'm sorry to say, very sorry to say, that Clearview Chelsea has been reported as having bed bugs as well. There was a news truck in front of the theater on Thursday early eve and that's what that was about. I don't recall the TV network.

Unfortunately, it's not only movie theaters -- it's all over -- stores, restaurants, buses, trains, hotels, everywhere, etc. These bugs are non-discriminating. They are not even confined to the bed -- they're in all the rooms.

Very scary situation --

Comment

I hate to hear that because I'm at that movie theater once a week, but it doesn't surprise me. Theaters are the perfect place for bed bugs because they like it dark.

Comment

oh dear, this is pretty scary.
        Is there a website with -- true -- bed bug reports? Because the one I've been trying didn't list the AMC Cinema nor the Chelsea Cinema.
        And something like this can turn your life upside down, so it's extremely important!

Comment

And something like this can turn your life upside down

That's for sure. But most people don't know that until it happens to them or someone they know.

I've not found any website, other than bedbugregistry, that has a comprehensive list of addresses with bed bugs. And that site is completely voluntary, by people who happen to come upon it in their web searches, so it's only a fraction of what's out there.

I've been checking bedbugregistry every few days for the last year. It used to be that you would check the first page and see the last two or three days worth of new postings. But now when you look, you only see part of the current day. So maybe there are more bed bugs out there, or maybe there is more publicity about them so people who are afflicted are coming out of the closet more readily.

I contract with hotels for meeting space and sleeping rooms for my job. I check bedbugregistry and tripadvisor before I recommend hotels. I don't automatically rule out a hotel with a report of bed bugs, but I don't like to recommend a hotel that has several reports.

Comment

A friend told me that they found a bedbug at her office several days ago. They immediately got an exterminator to come in with a bedbug sniffing dog.

For anyone wanting to be proactive on the bedbug front you can get mattress encasements

"If you have bed bugs, I recommend encasing your mattress in a high-quality encasement that is designed and tested to keep bed bugs in. If you do not yet have bed bugs, an encasement is a good preventive measure for keeping bed bugs out of your mattress." - http://bedbugger.com

Comment

Another measure I heard which I liked was -- if you think you've been exposed to bedbugs -- examine all your clothing when you get home and then put everything in a plastic bag and close the bag up tight until you can put the clothes in a dryer. They say the high heat from the dryer will destroy the bugs.

Comment

chan nel 7 news upclose ran a report this sunday. with diana williams- check on line

Comment

Thanks for these directions for precautions, magpie.
                  I'm feeling kind of itchy these days on buses!
                  And when they report this in the news, Channel 7, online, or whatever, it's so matter-of-fact. Like it's no problem, like, just do this and this and you'll be fine. (I wish this were true!)
                  I think it can be emotionally crazy making, over a period of time. Not to mention expensive.

Comment

Working...
                  X