help stop the fast food invasion of our neighborhood PART II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help stop the fast food invasion of our neighborhood PART II

Qdoba, the fast food mexican chain owned by Jack in the Box on 21st and 8th, is closer than ever to getting approval for a sidewalk cafe on 21st street. Even thought there are no other fast food restaurants with outdoor seating on residential blocks in Chelsea, The quality of life committee approved the application with stipulations at their last meeting.

Now there is a district board 4 meeting where representatives of our elected officials will be present.

PLEASE ATTEND AND LET YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS HEAR YOUR CONCERNS.

Wednesday, July 23rd.
    6:30 PM
    Roosevelt Hospital 1000 tenth ave between 58th and 59th.
    2nd floor auditorium

Anyone who attends will have the opportunity to speak. About the noise from the open walls, the odor of grease, the increased traffic, the delivery bikes blocking our sidewalk, the menu board blocking 8th ave, people expected to bus their own tables as it is self service, the lack of regard for the neighborhood -- or anything else!

If you cannot attend, please email NGonzalez@manhattancb4.org
    with your objections or write to
    Manhattan Community Board No. 4
    330 West 42nd Street 26th floor
    New York,, N.Y. 10036

Hope to see you there!

Re: help stop the fast food invasion of our neighborhood PAR

The RED posters have the best designed graphics! Well done, kudos to the graphic designer.

Comment

I wish more fast food would come into our hood. No Burger King! No KFC. UGHHHH

Comment

In these economic times, I can't understand any sort of protest against legitimate business. The biz climate is tough enough in NY without an organized push against certain businesses.

Comment

I dont mind QDOBA. Food is fresh and they deliver. Prices are resonable.

Comment

There is Wendys on 34th Street- not so far--- and I think there isa burger king on that block also--- the mexican place on penn south property next to mcDonalds is pretty good---The korean take out shop next to brown cup is fast korean take out and really good----We do have McDoanlds all over Chelsea---There is a KFC on 34th and Broadway near the big GAP---Chipolte is really good and there are several in Chelsea--- Moishe falafel truck is parked outside bed bath and beyond sometimes and there is also the gyro trucks all around-- I for one do not enjoy real fast food and rarely east at McDonalds-- Thee is always chinese takeout or you can eat in some---You can get a good quick Gyro and other great sandwiches for lunch at uncle nicks and at $4.99 it isnt breaking the bank---We also have subway in the neighborhood---There is a good philly cheesesteak place in penn station near Kmart (Charlies)----Great sushi in penn station on amtrak level near hudson paper--- I just discovered this place-- try the delicious wrapped rolls with veggies and fish inside - stuffed really well) and the green tea soup is interesting too-- SO WHO NEEDS FAST FOOD CHAINS-- and and lets not forget F&B and the papaya places-- I could write a book

Comment

I'm still wishing for an IHOP in Chelsea. Pul-eeze IHOP.

Comment

yes I agree about IHOP----I really miss this place--- growing up in Brooklyn during my dating days we would go to the georgetown shopping center movie theatre and then after go to IHOP. I really do not get it why is it that we are living in such a big city and yet manhattan has very few IHOPS. Having pancakes in a diner is never the same feeling for me

Comment

I believe that the primary issue is that a fast food place creates a lot of trash, with paper and plastic everything, and nobody responsible for keeping it all from flying down the street?and fly down the street it will, as it is light. I'm all for people sitting about on the sidewalk, as it creates connections, and makes the neighborhood more of a neighborhood.

Fast food, by its nature, caters to people who are just passing through, scattering whatever the will behind them as they move on. An outdoor space could instead anchor Qdoba to the community.

Rather than assume that Qdoba's outdoor space will be worse behaved than say, the Rocking Horse's, we have the option of monitoring the operation and ensuring that they are held to the same standards of quiet and tidiness as the other outdoor cafes. Lord knows there are a lot of relentless complainers, I mean tireless upholders of the standards of decency, around here. I personally have had the 10th Precinct's direct line memorized for years.

And if there's not enough sidewalk space for the humans, let's widen the sidewalks.

Kim V.

Comment

Originally posted by momjo View Post
                    SO WHO NEEDS FAST FOOD CHAINS--
                    My point (perhaps not made so well) is there is a lot more dignity (and usefulness to the economy) in having a job (any job) than receiving a welfare or unemployment check.

Comment

manhattan has very few IHOPS.
                      I work with someone who a number of years ago owned an IHOP -- in Queens. I asked him why they aren't in Manhattan (granted you say there aren't "many" in Manhattan -- I just haven't seen any where I have traveled).

His response was the costs are just too high. I think part of this is the franchise costs of IHOP are high and add to that the general costs of doing biz in NY and IHOP becomes a losing proposition.

Comment

Sure fast food is good for low level jobs as I see your point. You can also get low level jobs in other places- Gristedes, Met Foods, Rite Aid-- they all can train you

Comment

You can also get low level jobs in other places- Gristedes, Met Foods, Rite Aid
                          I am talking about the quantity of employers and hence the number of positions. I don't see the sanity in wanting less employers around when people's economic situations are dwindling. Like I said, better a job (any job) than a government handout.
                          Last edited by AEG; 03-11-2009, 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                          X