Ceiling fan installation help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling fan installation help needed

I would like to install a ceiling fan in my apartment. I have very high ceilings (14 ft+) and really can't do this and don't have the equipment to do it, either. Additionally, I don't know, and don't believe, that there is an electric supply up there, so either we have run some romex up there, or need to run a cord against the wall (ugh!). I need some help. Can anyone recommend an installer for this? TIA.

Re: Ceiling fan installation help needed

You know I was actually thinking about doing the same thing the other day and had the exact same reaction that you did. It's either impossible or you'd have nasty cords running up the wall. It just occurred to me though, now that you've asked. I bet if you went to Home Depot and asked someone there they just might have some contractors they could refer you to who do just that in Manhattan. Just a gut feeling. If you go, let me know what you find out. And hopefully, maybe someone here will have some useful advice. They usually do!

Comment

It's a good suggestion, Jonathan, and I did exactly that at Home Depot, but there were no help - they couldn't refer anyone to me.

Comment

Hi:

So funny that you should bring this up. I too have been giving ceiling fans some thought. The wiring thing is a pain I know. However, I bought this wire channeling strip to cover a wire that will run across my ceiling and down the wall from a chandelier I'm going to be hanging in the near future. The other suggestion is, taking a chain or decorative vine of some sort (you can get this in the flower district -- usually made of silk and looks better than the vines they made in the old days), and wrap it and a chain around the exposed wiring. My friend did this and believe it or not, it looks really nice. Some of the vining even has small flowers. Thought it would look cheesy, but to my delight it really doesn't it. The suggestion of going to Home Depot, is a fabulous idea. Thanks Jonathon for the great suggestion. I'm going to do that as well; as soon as I'm done with purchasing my ceiling fans.

Comment

Ceiling Fan....

Is Romex the same thing as the channeling I bought?

Comment

No - romex, I believe a brand name, is the special cable that runs inside your walls that carries the actual power to the outlets and switches. Channeling is an exterior, decorative piece to cover external wiring as you described in your first post. If I have to run the wires on the outside, I will need to get the channeling. < sigh >

Comment

Originally posted by chelseachick69
              The suggestion of going to Home Depot, is a fabulous idea. Thanks Jonathon for the great suggestion. I'm going to do that as well; as soon as I'm done with purchasing my ceiling fans.
              Yeah, thanks CC - a great idea until sdpalmer tried it out and it didn't work! He said they were of no help at all. I thought they might be Ikea - which actually has contractors they refer you to that can help you do things like put together furniture bought from Ikea. I actually find it annoying that stores like Home Depot will sell things like kitchen sinks but not have anyone to refer you to who can install a kitchen sink. I guess most apartment dwellers just don't use that kind of thing enough to make it worth it.

Comment

Hey J:

Lunch break, so I thought I would reply. Here's the thing about Home Depot. I found out that since they have their own installers, unless you use one of their products, they won't help you. Just found this out from a friend in the construction business not more than 5 minutes ago. They suck! Anyway, the decorative idea works at least to my knowledge. The other options might be, that you post a situations wanted on Craigslist. Or word-of-mouth isn't out of the question. How about checking with your local hardware store. Sometimes they know people. Not like the "corporate culture," at Home Depot. Or, try asking people you talk to on a regular basis. In the meantime, I'll check around with my contacts, and get back to you...Okay?

Comment

That's why I suggested Home Depot. I thought if you told them you were interested in buying one of their ceiling fans but needed help installing it they might be able to refer you to someone. But you say that's exactly what they do. That they have their own installers. I wonder if the installers work for Home Depot of if they're just private contractors. Either way, what you say makes me wonder if SDP let them know he might buy the fan from them. Or am I wrong in thinking they even sell ceiling fans?

Anyway, I loved your idea of camoflauging the wires with something decorative. Very smart!

Comment

Yeah. My friend's apartment is wonderful. He is so creative. He's always coming up with nice ideas when it comes to decorating on a budget. I did however, go to my local hardware store on 9th Ave. There's this guy who barely speaks English (Russian I think), who gave me his cell phone number. Apparently, the owner of the store said he's the guy who would be willing to discuss installation of a ceiling fan. If you're interested, please let me know, and I will give you Sergei's cell phone number. CC69

Comment

Oh. One more thing. I told the guy that the person I was asking for, lives in lower Chelsea. So he knows that this person is a few blocks away. He didn't seem to have a problem with that. Hope this helps. CC69

Comment

Working...
                      X