Barking Dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barking Dog

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do about the puppy/dog that is barking all the time!! It is kept behind a bar on the N side of 14th betw 7 & 8 so anyone (like myself) whose apartment is on 15th and overlooks this backyard cannot get any peace. HELP!

Re: Barking Dog

I would start with calling 311 so they can take a noise complaint or direct you to the correct department to address this. You will want to have handy the exact location and time of day when the barking is occuring and how long it lasts, things like that. I hope you get some good results.

Comment

Yes, 311 is the way to go - if you can't talk to the person or the super or someone in their building. And Blake's advice to have the "exact location" is key! I learned that the hard way awhile back. I had a neighbor who periodically kept a friend's dog. Sometimes oddly, they would leave for the whole night when the dog was staying over and the poor dog would just bark and bark and bark all night long. The sound went straight through their door and into my door. It was like the dog was in my apartment.

One time this happened it was 4 in the morning. I called 311. They put me through to the DEP (dept of environmental protection). The DEP took all the info including my address and the neighbor's address.

They sent me a letter with some info as well as a copy of the letter they sent to my neighbor. Unfortunately, I had accidentally given them the wrong apartment number! So one of my neighbors who doesn't have a dog got a letter from the DEP saying "We have received complaints about your barking dog!"

I had to call the DEP to report the mistake so nothing would ever come of it.

Fortunately, the neighbor who did have the barking dog was very receptive when I told them what happened while they were out and they promised never to leave the dog alone overnight again. And so far they haven't.

So, as I'm sure is obvious to everyone, if you can find a way to talk to the person or to someone who knows them (I take it they're not in your building), that's of course the best way. But if you can't talk to them or they're not receptive to your complaint, and you can't contact their building management, then 311 and the DEP is the way to go.

Comment

I completely agree Tarmill. Living on 9th Avenue, I deal with a lot of noise, and various other annoyances. Some cannot be avoided of course. But, those which can be alleviated, have always been alleviated by 311. I must say, I'm impressed with this resource. They DO try to help when they are able.

Comment

Working...
        X