Honking cars on 16th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honking cars on 16th

Is anybody else losing their mind? Tried to sleep with open window last night as we still didn't install our ac but it was impossible. Constant honking from 12 am to 2 am, then again around 4 am (plus the usual drunken giggeling and yelling from people leaving the bars/clubs).

Is there anyway to stop this? What about those signs "Don't honk your horn - $ 350 fine". Why are they not taken seriously? Doesn't the city need money? Can't they put some traffic controllers out ther on the weekend handing out tickets to those #$@#$%%^? I volunteer!

Re: Honking cars on 16th

Hi Snoop. You sound like me. You sound like many of us who are subjected to the disturbance you describe. I have gone to our local 10th precinct meetings to complain that not enough is being done. I live on 9th avenue in the mid-twenties and get constant horn blowing on weekends, particularly Saturdays from mid-night until around 4:00, along with the noise from club goers walking, or stumbling back from clubs on 10th avenue. I have spoken to the police about ticketing people, mentioning the $350 signs that are posted, asking the same question as you, "doesn't the city need money!" I found the police chief's response bizarre. He told me it doesn't help to ticket horn blowers because it's not the same people each week. (DUH!) Many people are outraged nothing is being done in many neighborhoods to deal with this public disturbance. There are some people in London Terrace who are talking together to come up with a way of being heard. It takes numbers to get a response. Why people are not being fined for unnecessary horn blowing and disorderly conduct is beyond me. At this point, we shut windows and put on a fan or white noise machine to lessen the noise, and plan to get a small air conditioner for the bedroom. But the problem remains unaddressed. I think you should go to local meetings and complain. We have also gone to local community board meetings, one of which included club owners, to discuss these problems. I haven't seen anything change. Many, many people also call 311. Eventually something is going to have to been done because this issue is affecting so many New Yorkers.

Comment

I wrote to the Mayor's Office about this last year. The traffic cop from the precinct on 20th Street called me to ask me about my complaints. He was not exactly pleasant, to say the least. He told me that he thought his officers did a very good job of controlling traffic etc. in the neighborhood. I thought he was nuts. The honking is illegal. But just because there's a law doesn't mean people are going to obey it if no one's around to enforce it. We need more cops walking the beat. How are they going to stop these things if they're riding around in their cars? Another maddening thing about 16th Street in particular is the fact that the NO TRUCKS sign is routinely ignored as well. I also complained about that, though it's still as bad as it ever was.

Comment

i too find the honking rediculous (and some of the music from cars) what's the point of those stuid *** signs if there is no way or will to enforce this activity. we need more cops on foot instead of in vehicles. sadly earplugs help a little

Comment

Hey....

You are not alone! 25th street has gotton crazy as well due to the clubs on
          26th street. The honking, the screaming, loud beligerent club kids is enough to drive you mental... The back of the building is even worse as you can hear the music driving through your walls at the wee hours of the am and when it is time for the patrons to go you can hear a employee of the club announces " you don't have to go home but get f*#! out of here". Other things I don't dare to mention happen right outside and across from my bedroom. Lets say it is real life XXXXX rated.

YIKES!!!!!!!

Comment

Tell me about it. I am on the 2nd floor, facing 16th, and about 4 car-lengths away from the traffic light. Constant honking, 24/7. But it's less annoying than the club kids who cluster under my window at 4am, screaming at each other at the top of their drunken lungs, on certain evenings. But hey, that's life in NYC.

Comment

I am so over this noise pollution and I don't think that I have to take it because I live in New York. There are enough sacrifices to city living and with this new rent-control increase...(don't get me started --- oops, too late).
              It's only recently that I have been up till 3am on weekends because of all this partying outside and I sleep with earpluggs already. Helleaux, this is insane!!!!!!!!!!
              I am on 17th Street between 8 and 9th Avenue and it's the same scene: sex-and-the-city wanna be's screaming all night, honking cabs and cars (as if that's going to do ANYTHING!!), über-loud car stereos, screaming kids from the school all day and my biggest pet pieve recently: iddling busses and cars. I have gone downstairs to tell the drivers to turn off their engines (it's illegal for more than 2 minutes, from what I understand) and they most often cooperate, surprisingly. Only one time did I call the "How is my driving?" -number from the back of the bus and the company I called didn't give a rats *** about it. Lovely.
              But the noise!! What are we going to do?? I totally agree on the "no honking signs". What a farce. I have been calling 311 incessantly to report the noise and pollution, I've been to a city councel meeting 2(?) years ago which helped a little bit and I've called the police a gazillion times. Can we pool forces to coordinate efforts somehow? I don't think they take one person at a time really seriously anymore. Strength in numbers. Something MUST be done! Suggestions please.

Comment

Originally posted by earrelevant
                I am so over this noise pollution and I don't think that I have to take it because I live in New York.
                Well, I sympathize, but really - you have to understand that the "No Honking" signs are just another example of a law that was NEVER meant to be - nor can be - properly enforced. Like most traffic laws. (When was the last time you saw someone get pulled over for running a red light?)

The root cause of NYC's noise problems is behavior and culture. No law is going to fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by rhywun
                  The root cause of NYC's noise problems is behavior and culture. No law is going to fix that.
                  Good point rhywun, but part of behaviour and culture is shaped by how we, as a society, deal or choose not to deal with it. One way of modifying behaviour is by making laws and enforcing them until it is part of our culture. It's gotta start somewhere and enforcing noise laws is just one step of many that needs to be taken.

Comment

Originally posted by earrelevant
                    Good point rhywun, but part of behaviour and culture is shaped by how we, as a society, deal or choose not to deal with it.
                    True, but honestly, I'd rather live in a culture that has some noise problems than one where the police are a bit too aggressive in dealing with it. Look at England, where they're criminalizing all sorts of anti-social behavior. I don't want that.

I think cultures that don't have this problem don't have it not because police aggressively enforce laws against it, but rather because the people just have better manners.

Comment

I would have no problem at all with police staking out these club areas late at night and handing out tickets to every single person who honks. That's not being too aggressive, that's simply enforcing the POSTED law! And while it's not being enforced it's making life miserable for thousands of Chelseans. That's the kind of law that needs to be enforced - aggressively!

And as for the stupid cop who said it wouldn't do any good because it's not the same people very week - you'd be surprised how fast word would get around if these kids were handed $350 tickets that they actually had to pay! Word would get around like lightning.

And think about this... the reason laws exist is because not everyone does have good manners. If everyone were very well mannered we'd need only a very few laws. It's because people aren't naturally well-mannered that we do have laws. So I say enforce away!

Comment

Originally posted by vbad
                        It's because people aren't naturally well-mannered that we do have laws.
                        Perhaps, but in cultures like America, where there has long been a historical disrespect for authority, the people are far more likely to ignore such laws.

Comment

Perhaps, but in cultures like America, where there has long been a historical disrespect for authority, the people are far more likely to ignore such laws.
                          Historical disrespect for authority is fine if you're living in North Dakota, but in Manhattan (and especially in growing Chelsea) we are too close to each other for there to be no noise restrictions and enforcements. I agree with vbad on the fact that word would get out very fast, should there be any honking tickets. This is not about controling people, it's about bursting their narcisistic bubbles.

Comment

All right - how do we expect to enforce (say) no honking laws? Hire another 20,000 police? Otherwise the best you can do is set up occasional honking "checkpoints" which will be about as effective as drunk-driving checkpoints are on stopping drunk driving, i.e. not at all. That's the problem with creating laws that you cannot enforce. People ignore them.

Now if beat cops (are there any? I have never seen a policeman walking around Chelsea - although I saw it a lot when I lived in Astoria) were allowed to just walk around slapping tickets under the windshield wipers of honkers without getting involved in a shouting match with the driver, it might work. But I don't see it happening that way.

I think a better place to start would be targeting cab drivers. Maybe their dispatchers could tighten the screws somehow. Install a listening device and dock them $20 for every honk

Comment

I think a better place to start would be targeting cab drivers. Maybe their dispatchers could tighten the screws somehow. Install a listening device and dock them $20 for every honk
                              LOL! You're right about that. For the most part, they're the biggest offenders.

Comment

Working...
                              X