Best Neighborhood Bar around 15th & 7th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Neighborhood Bar around 15th & 7th

Where's a good one? How about rest.? Hetero, preferably.

Re: Best Neighborhood Bar around 15th & 7th

Originally posted by rman
    Hetero, preferably.
    Sorry, can't help you there
    But I WOULD be curious to know if there is any decent "mixed" neighborhood bar. I've been to a lot of the gay clubs around here but I prefer bars. Especially dives.

Comment

Ever try Peter McManus' at 19th & 7th?
      Been there since nickel beers.
      In the afternoons it's just old guys watching the condensation run down the side of their glass, but can get busy after work.
      The food won't kill 'ya, don't even think about a frozen drink. They sometimes have both kinds of wine & A cosmopolitan is a magazine that they sell up the street.
      Beer by the pitcher makes it a good place for a party of 4 or more.
      More Met than Yankees fans, but no where near as obsessive as the Old Town about sports 'n such.
      Oh, & they may hand you wet money now & again & the waitress may call you "Hun".
      They used to have an annual stickball game around this time of year on the side street.
      If it's working class, serious drinking your after you'll be right at home.
      There is a soundtrack, but not much dialogue unless you bring your own.

Enjoy!
      CD

Need computer assistance?
      See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Also try McKenna's on 14th btw 7th and 8th (next to the Associated). Very friendly staff, decent burgers and 2-4-1 Happpy Hour that is from 4 until 9p.m. ya can't beat that. But again it is totally not a Cosmo and frozen drink place. It is a neighborhood Irish Pub nuff said.

Comment

I don't know about "best" (too bad Village Idiot is no longer around ) but I think Merchant's is worth a try - bar in the front, tables for eating in the back and outside, lounge downstairs

if you like wine, try Veloce

Comment

Two 'bar' bars in the neighborhood are El Quixote (in afternoon, when it is slow, is marvelous) and Cajun (8th@16th), both wonderfully tattered.

Viceroy has a beautiful bar, but not quite seedy enough for me.

Cheers!

Comment

I mentioned the Biltmore Room before. Here's the scoop.... The chef is gone and the bar staff is trying to keep the place up and running. It is ONLY going to be a bar and they are trying all kinds of new things to draw in a crowd.

They also have a new bar menu, including a great burger. They are now open Tues-Sat opening at 5:00 closing at 2:00 AM. Give em another try, ask for Regan and or Jolie they are great guys and deserve all the support the neighborhood can give them.....

Comment

helen's, next to the joyce theater is basically mixed.

Comment

Re: Best Neighborhood Bar around 15th & 7th - Veloce

Bar Veloce is a little farther north, on 7th avenue and 20th, but a great Italian wine bar, and has a good ambiance.

Comment

Woody's on the south side of 14th between 7th & 8th (closer to 8th) is a great little neighborhood spot. The food is surprisingly good - especially the burgers, wings & chili. The jukebox has a great mix of music and so far, it doesn't get super crowded (come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't post this & let the secret out!)

Comment

Originally posted by jerib
                      I mentioned the Biltmore Room before. Here's the scoop.... The chef is gone and the bar staff is trying to keep the place up and running. It is ONLY going to be a bar and they are trying all kinds of new things to draw in a crowd.

They also have a new bar menu, including a great burger. They are now open Tues-Sat opening at 5:00 closing at 2:00 AM. Give em another try, ask for Regan and or Jolie they are great guys and deserve all the support the neighborhood can give them.....
                      Are the drink prices still as high?

I had planned to check that place out one time, until a friend of mine told me he went there with a friend - they ordered a beer, and a red wine, and he put a twenty on the bar, only to be told that that wasn't enough.

That's too pricey for me, no matter how cool the interior & decor is.

Comment

Helen's on 8th is good mix bar, piano for entertainment, food at tables or at the bar. Friday and Saturday nights usually after about 11 gets a good mix with some good singers for the open mic. Bartenders and staff are very friendly.

Comment

Yes, agree, Helen's: delightful - good wines (champagne) by glass. Cheers to the staff!

Comment

Working...
                          X