15th between 7th and 8th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 15th between 7th and 8th

And what the hell is with this jackhammering? It started at like 7:50! Can they do that?

Comment

Right under my window at 7:50 I guess they can, the same as they can tear up the street starting at 11PM at night. I don't understand why it is disturbing the peace if someone plays music after 10PM (of course with the exception of boomboxes and car radios) but yet the city can do work at all hours of the morning or night. You would think they would have some consideration for the residents of the area but the concerns seems to be more not disrupt business operations. Not that all that has anything to do with the jackhammer early this morning but it seems they can do whatever they want with no regard to the laws or the residents of the area.

Comment

I may be wrong on this but it's my understanding that typically work like jackhammering can't begin until 8:00 a.m. You can call 311 and report it - they may actually be able to help. In fact, the more who call the better. They take it more seriously if they get more than one complaint.

Comment

It is a good point we all should begin a calling campagain to 311 about the problems on W15th st. The dumpster and the homeless living there as well as the noise before 8am and after 10pm.

Comment

Believe me I feel your pain. Between the jackhammering and whoever it is that runs some kind of carpentry shop from their home or so it seems -somewhere in the backyards between 7th and 8th on the north side of 15th Street - I am awakened just about every morning. Sometimes we do see results if enough people take the time to write letters and make phone calls to 311 and the offices of:
            Christine Quinn District Office
            224 West 30th St (Suite 1206)
            New York, New York 10001

City Hall Address: City Hall, NY, 10007
            City Hall Phone No.: (212) 788-7210

District Office Phone No.: (212) 564-7757
            District Office Fax No.: (212)564-7347

Whenever we want to see change in anything whether it be big corporate or governmental issues new legislation to protect people and animals from abuse, it is up to each individual (separately and collectively) to take the time to write letters and make phone calls. We do have power if we don?t expects the next guy to do it.
            Sharon Mear
            www.trainingcatsandogs.com
            212-727-2871

Comment

Sharon thanks for the information I for one am sick and tired of the looking out my window and seeing dumpster that has been there for over a year. I understand they have a permit but I think a year is just way too long. I hope everyone might want to follow the lead and send a letter to clean up 15th st. The dumpster goes and then the location the homeless builds their home will go too. I will send my letter today.

Comment

Geesh, that homeless situation on your block sounds terrible. Is it still going on? Surely those people are breaking more than one law. For instance, it is illegal in this town to sleep on the sidewalk. And it's certainly illegal to urinate on it! I find that when I call the police for something like this they give me all kinds of static and excuses why they can't "really" do anything. I'm so fed up with their lazy attitude. But I'll tell you a little persistence, and sometimes a little temper tantrum can get them to finally lift a finger.

We had a similar situation on our block. I think I was probably the only one, but I called the cops everyday for a week on this one really annoying homeless guy. They'd come and say "we can make him move but he's just going to come back." To which I replied, "well, when he comes back I'll call you again"! You got to make the cops realize that you're going to annoy them as much as the problem they don't want to fix is annoying you.

And no homeless person is going to keep coming back to the same spot day after day if they know as sure as they're alive that the cops are going to come along after a little time and make them move.

The thing is - to get any action really takes a lot of persistence on your part. But believe me (from personal experience), once the cops realize you're going to keep bugging them about something, it's amazing how fast the situation seems to clear up! They are lazy as hell and you gotta take advantage of that. Just create a situation where they can be more lazy by helping you than by not helping you!

Comment

To all of you new to this block I have to say this place has changed so much over the years. From someone who was born and raise here to a certain degree this block was better back in the day. In the summers we had the annual 15th street block party. Honestly they really were nothing special. Traffic was cut off. No vendors, people were hanging out on the stoop while blasting Latin music and playing chess or dominos. There was a Fastest man/ woman competitons with trophies going to all who participated. They even had a boxing ring. It was great because everyone knew who everyone was on the block. This was about 1985. How twenty years can bring so much change. Just a little history for you new comers. Hope to get to know some of you better.

Peace from 15th street.

Comment

Working...
                  X