15th between 7th and 8th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th between 7th and 8th

Anybody else on this block? Let's gripe about the crazy lady who feeds the birds or the two homeless guys who live beside the dumpster under a tarp. The one is real shmuck. always hasseling me...
    elfin

Re: 15th between 7th and 8th

i have complained about that women to 311 twice and if she doesn't get off the damn block she's gonna get it.

trust me, ive lived on this damn block 11years.

Comment

Anybody know where you can get one of those paintball guns!? Seriously. Your block sounds like ours. And there are many times when late at night I figure I could shoot some paintballs over onto some of these people and that'd probably do more than anything to convince them to move on somewhere else.

Comment

Been here close to a year. Haven't noticed the bird lady, but the makeshift lean-to is hard to miss. How long has that construction (I'm assuming that's the reason for the dumpster) been going on for?

Comment

they have gutted that old bridge house and made it beautiful!

Comment

That construction has been going on for at least a year...The homeless guys set up shop there about 6 months ago. Hopefully they will vanish when the dumpster goes.
            elfin

Comment

Oh, the humanity.

Compassion.

Try it.

It's good for the soul.

Comment

Lack of compassion does not enter into this. If this bird woman is the same one that hangs around 13th street also, you can only support her acts if you like to wear pigion crap on you head. She is also real nasty if you have the audacity to walk on a public street and "disturb" her birds while they are eating.

As far as violent homeless people. They do exist and several physical attacks have been felt by some residents who dared ignore their "demands" for booze or drug money. Not all homeless people are the poor souls down on their luck you think they are. A lot of them are drug addicts and drunks that have been released to the streets. Know who is behind and around you at all times, NYC is NOT Disney World although our politicians would like you to believe that it is.
                roby2000

Comment

Thanks ROmy. I have lived in NYC for over 20 years and have given what must be thousands by now to beggers and homeless people. I can't be compassionate for a person who is hasseling me for money calling me names and threatening me. I don't mind homeless people - I mind people who are bothering me and threatening me.
                  e
                  elfin

Comment

Roby2000
                    Points well-taken. Please allow me to add my thoughts.

As far as violent homeless people. They do exist and several physical attacks have been felt by some residents who dared ignore their "demands" for booze or drug money.
                    Very true. And this situation sounds like these people have crossed from just homeless to criminal behavior. If you or anyone you see is physically attacked you should report it to the cops immediately. If you can get evidence on video it would help your case. The police will tell you they can't do anything unless they have some concrete evidence.

Not all homeless people are the poor souls down on their luck you think they are. A lot of them are drug addicts and drunks that have been released to the streets.
                    True again. And some are certifiably crazy. Several years ago, NY decided to release many patients in mental institutions and dump them in the streets to fend for themselves. There was one well-known case of a man on the upper west side who was fine when he took his medication and violent when he didn't. This is a horrible "solution" for everyone involved and makes the city more dangerous because of these sick people's irrational behaviour. If anything, blame the system.

Lack of compassion does not enter into this. If this bird woman is the same one that hangs around 13th street also, you can only support her acts if you like to wear pigion crap on you head. She is also real nasty if you have the audacity to walk on a public street and "disturb" her birds while they are eating.
                    I feel your pain. This woman obviously is not in her right mind, is irrational and her actions are unpredictable. In self-preservation, the best way to deal with a situation like this is to avoid this person as much as possible. Cross the street if you have to. Don't antagonize them. I realize they don't own the streets but neither do we. Yes, it's a drag but we just have to deal with it somehow.

Know who is behind and around you at all times, NYC is NOT Disney World although our politicians would like you to believe that it is
                    Ain't it the truth?

Comment

I have lived in NYC for 64+ years, with a brief flight to the suburbs for 7 years back in the 70's (I don't know why I did that, evidently drugs or something...it was the 70's after all). Homelessness was always a problem but never to the degree it is now. I always thought it got worse when the new conservative republicans, now labelled "neocons", took control with the figurehead whose name was Reagan. The situation has worsened exponentially since that time. I know no solution to this problem and there are a few souls on the streets that I do occasionally buy soup or a sandwich for or a nice hot cup of coffee, tea or chocolate, in the bad weather.

One of the most touching acts I ever witnessed was one by a hot dog vendor who has been at the corner of 9th avenue and 31 st. forever. I was passing by his cart a couple of years ago and a rather meek, small homeless woman wandered over and before I could tell the man to give her a couple of dogs on me he piled a roll up with three hot dogs, mustard and saurkraut and gave them to her. He evidently has fed her before since he knew how she liked her dogs. This man deserves the medal of honor for compassion and our repeated patronization of his wares. I love this city and our people.
                      roby2000

Comment

What a wonderful story, Roby! I too try to give homeless people a hot cup of coffee on a cold day or a sandwich or something. Life is more precarious than we know..... anything can happen to anyone! And everyone has a life story, even the most decrepit-looking homeless person.

Comment

The 15th St. Block association has tried everything to get the bird feeding obsessive woman to stop, but to no avail. I belive she is homeless and certainly off the wall. The more you complain to her the more she does it. As far as the guys living under the tarp hopefully they will be gone as soon as the building is finished. I don't know if you know Stanley Bulbach but he has been president of our block association for years and does some amazing work. I will forward him the Click your block site but if you wish to contact him directly, he is a barrel of information. His email - letters @ bulbach . com. Please feel free to let him know that I gave you his information.

Sharon Mear
                          www.trainingcatsandogs.com
                          212-727-2871
                          Sharon Mear
                          www.trainingcatsandogs.com
                          212-727-2871

Comment

Hi I would just like to add my two cents worth. I live in the building where the dumpster is parked and the homeless have set up house. Although I have much compassion for the homeless I still have a problem when they live below my window, urinate in bottles and dump it out in the dumpster, fight with each other at all hours of the night and day. I am not going into the good money I pay to live here and they don't. I have lived in NYC long enough to know that the homeless are just another part of living in the city. But they can be dangerous, spread disease and bugs due to their living conditions and by letting them continue to live here in these conditions we are doing them no favors either. I dont have the answers of how to help them but I am angry about their lack of respect for the people who pay to live here.

Comment

yes. i could not have said it better. this block has so many problems what is Stanley B. going to do about it ?

someone get the word out to the big Stan.

i will try.

Comment

Working...
                              X