Shooting Early Monday Morning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Early Monday Morning

Did anyone hear the shooting at about 4:15 a.m. Monday morning on 16th near 8th? It was very loud and woke me up with a START. NY1 reports that one of the men was shot in the chest. I don't know whether he died or not. Two shooters fled on foot. There was a massive police presence within about 3 minutes. There were 2 cars involved and they were towed away about 3 hours ago. Scary!

Re: Shooting Early Monday Morning

here is an aerial pic of the accident and some details:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=6122619

Comment

Well, they got the location wrong (it was btw 7 & 8), but at least someone reported on it. I heard something earlier on NY1, but haven't heard anything since. When the City is reporting on a drop in crime, I really have to wonder about that. Is there a true drop in crime, or are there just fewer reports about actual crime? Funny how I heard about Uma Thurman and her court case all day. And this wasn't newsworthy?

Comment

Interestingly I happened upon this message board in search of some news regarding this shooting. I have lived in Chelsea for some years now and to me it seems like there has definitely been a rash of recent incidents. Just back toward the end of march on my block (19th) there was a shooting and a friend living on this block told me that a police officer told her there had been 7 or so shootings over the past few months in the general area.

Its amazing that none of these seem to ever make any news and you have to scour the web for any information.

Comment

and you scour the internet and still hardly find anything except on blogs... there's a long thread on here from a few months or more ago about a shooting near 23rd & 9th and so many of us heard the gun shots and there was nothing in the news the next day or that week. i think Chelsea Now eventually reported something on it but they're not a daily. it almost seems like an intentional cover up to keep the crime rates down. seriously... it does. i see much lesser crimes reported all the time and these shootings don't make the news (tv, print or web).

Comment

That was actually the thread I found which lead me here. Curiously there was barley a mention of the March shooting on 19th anywhere where a 17 year old got shot 3 times in broad daylight. II saw a 5 second reader on the evening news that night and maybe 50 words in a police blotter type article indicating they were searching for suspects. It worries me a good deal because my fiance also works in the area (farther west b'tween 11th/12th) so walks to and from work. If there truly has been a cluster of recent incidents I would love to know so that at the very least we can all be more aware of our surroundings when simply being out in the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky View Post
              it almost seems like an intentional cover up to keep the crime rates down. seriously... it does. i see much lesser crimes reported all the time and these shootings don't make the news (tv, print or web).
              I totally agree with you. Is it because it happened in Chelsea, one of NY's glitziest nabes? Whatever it is, it sucks.

Comment

Working...
              X