X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W16thDenizen
    started a topic Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

It looks like this place has been put on the dirtiest supermarkets in NYC list.

Associated 255 W 14th Street:
    "Failed four consecutive inspections between 7/05/05 and 02/02/06 due to rodent activity throughout the deli, food storage and preparation areas. Twenty-eight pounds of dog foods defiled with mouse droppings, gnaw marks and urine stains were seized from store shelves on 5/06/05. Hundreds of mouse droppings have been noted on multiple occasions."

They do say that the place passed inspections on 3/22/06 and 5/24/06, however. But I've been in there numerous times and watched the mice run back and forth. Yuck!

• seedyonenyc
    replied
    Re: Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

I was in Gristede's on 8th & 12st to buy cereal & they were out of Cheerios.
    They were out of Cheerios in all sizes.

Sure they had they sugary ones & the honeyed ones, but they had NO CHEERIOS.

There outta be a law!

CD

Leave a comment:

• chelseachick69
    replied

Thanks for the tip LTR. I will heed your warning. I love Chelsea Market. I go there often, mostly for fresh seafood. Their produce market is awesome as well.

CC69

Leave a comment:

• LongTime Resident
    replied

CC, I shop at that Gristedes quite a bit since I live down the block. Mostly, for staples, frozen foods, water, etc.

As far as food, I have bought packaged cheese that went moldy right away (returned it), always taste anything I want from the deli first to make sure it's fresh, check dates on milk, etc. I have also bought fresh chicken that was rancid so now I always pop a hole in the package to smell it and make sure it's fresh. You do have to be careful because they are careless. So, I always save the receipt if I need to return something.

My husband hates to shop there for that reason so he treks down to Western Beef on 14th/9th for fresh chicken, meat, cheese and the prices are cheaper in general. Manhattan Produce (I think that's the name) at Chelsea Market has fresh fruit and vegetables, coffee, bulk foods....good value, good quality. Just need to take your shopping cart.

Leave a comment:

• chelseachick69
    replied

I've shopped at the Associated on 14th Street once or twice for cat food and/or litter. I never noticed how nasty it was then. I guess I was just in a rush or something. I remember the Associated I used to shop in when I lived in Queens. It was really clean and well-stocked. Oh well, that was Queens and this is Manhattan. Sad that there is no consistency there.

About Gristedes. I usually go to the one on 26th Street. That store is really pretty nice and clean. I've never really had any problems with old food or nastiness in general. I usually try to avoid the one on 9th Ave. and 24th Street as often as possible. However, sometimes it's a more convenient location, depending of course if I happen to be passing by. When I do go to the 9th Ave. store, I only buy things in containers or bottles and perhaps paper products. (i.e. T.P. or paper towels, soy milk, frozen veggies or olive oil, etc.) Even then, I am definitely more cognicent of dates. I've learned my lesson for sure.

Has anyone ever shopped at the Gristedes on 8th Avenue at around 21st Street? If so, what do you think?

Leave a comment:

• MC08
    replied

Here's an update on Associated. I talked to the Manager yesterday (9/10) and he said the Health Department had just done a complete review of his store and "everything was fine." He is distressed that his newly renovated store has gotten such bad press in the neighborhood. Personally, I like the store a lot and find the prices reasonable and the staff very accommodating.

Leave a comment:

• rhywun
    replied

Originally posted by chelseachick69
    Sounds great! How do we get 'em here? (Ha, ha) You see...there ARE happy shoppers out there. But, alas not in NYC huh?
    Of course, the fact that Wegman's closed a lot of city stores and now operates almost exclusively in the suburbs points out a possible reason we don't see anything like it in Manhattan. Then again, I've heard Long Island supermarkets suck too... So I guess it's a combination of cost and culture.

Leave a comment:

• chelseachick69
    replied

Sounds great! How do we get 'em here? (Ha, ha) You see...there ARE happy shoppers out there. But, alas not in NYC huh?

Leave a comment:

• rhywun
    replied

Originally posted by chelseachick69
    When I lived in Texas, we had the best supermarket on the planet.
    No, that honor goes to Wegman's from my hometown, Rochester.
    Tops, from Buffalo, is very good too. If either of those opened in Manhattan, it would make customers' jaws drop to the floor.

Leave a comment:

• chelseachick69
    replied

And might I add...that I know this thread is about an Associated on 14th Street, but when you speak of disgusting and nasty, we must include the Gristedes on 9th Avenue between 23rd and 24th sts. What a dump! One time I went in because it was convenient to do so, to buy Parmesan Cheese. I was in a rush so I didn't look at the date (what a grievious error that was). I brought it home, opened it up and started to shake it onto my food. THE CHEESE WAS BROWN! EEEEWWWWWOOOOO. I was so angry, I left my guests in the house with the food I spent a good amount of time preparing, and stormed off to the market with the YEAR OLD cheese. Do you know the then manager, had the unmitigated nerve to say to me that I should've checked the date. I'm like what???!!! You dirtbag! I'm responsible for buying year old Parmesan that it is YOUR job to check for freshness? Well after the loud back and forth, I got my money back and proceeded the next business day to call the headquarters. Guess what? The manager's gone and the new one is just as bad. Oh well...progress. So you see, no matter where you go, for some reason, we're so busy and don't want to bother, or we think that someone else will deal with it, NYC suffers from really bad Supermarkets. It's such a shame. We so deserve better.

Leave a comment:

• chelseachick69
    replied

When I lived in Texas, we had the best supermarket on the planet. It was called H.E.B. Oh my goodness. This place had everything; and, fresh everything as well. I don't think I ever saw a dusty shelf, rotten piece of fruit or nasty looking meat anywhere. It had every possible variety of everything you could ask for. It was as big as the Mall of America. All the employees were so friendly, accommodating and fast. I loved going there. The best was that since I'm addicted to Rotel Tomatoes, I was never without. You think I could find them here? Hell no! I've gone to just about every store I could think of. But no good. You would think a city like NYC would carry a specialty item. Especially, since Mexican and Tex Mex are a big thing here. But no. My friend just returned from her childhood home in MS. She actually was kind enough to bring 2 cans for Chile con Queso. All the way from MS. How about that?

Leave a comment:

• sdpalmer
    replied

Jonathan - there are times when I pine for the Waldbaums from my childhood. I don't think there's one in Manhattan. Kroger's, I agree, would be nice. As would a Vons. Maybe we should have a campaign! Check out this list of supermarket chains at the Wikipedia.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

You know what we really need? A convenient Kroger. I'm curious if anyone here knows what that is. When I first moved to New York the one and only thing I missed from home were the grocery stores. New York without a doubt has the worst grocery stores in the country. And for the life of me I can't figure out why. Mostly, I can't figure out why New Yorkers - who are really a tough market - put up with the crap stores here. It's nice to have the Fresh Direct alternative, but as SDPALMER said sometimes you want to touch and see what you're getting. And in the end if we all only used Fresh Direct then we'd be Fresh out of alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• sdpalmer
    replied

I've never liked that Associated on 14th - I too thought it was dirty. The D'ags on 17th is mediocre at best - the selection is awful, the staff unfriendly and unhelpful, and the prices are just OK. Whole Paycheck (Foods) is OK but it's falling out of my favor - not sure why ... the allure is just gone. I don't like getting produce from Fresh Direct ... I want to select my own stuff. I like Chelsea Market but find it a pain to get to. You know what we need? A convenient Fairway!

Leave a comment:

• rhywun
    replied

Originally posted by virtualpleasure
    Associated may remain something of a fixture in the area..
    And Westside Market just opened an expansion today! Nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X