Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

Just personal experience from a neighbor. I've lived on 16th and 7th for 30 years. I've seen markets come and go and have tried just about all in the neighborhood. I'm very happy with the renovated Associated. The staff is wonderful. The food has been fine, the selection is decent and you can't beat the prices. BTW, I love their rotisserie chickens which a plump, moist, tasty and about the least expensive around.

I have to go--shopping day at Associated!

Comment

Originally posted by rhywun
      If they want sensationalistic, inaccurate, out-of-date news - then ok, I guess tv news is the way to go. They can join the herds who won't shop at Associated because of this story -- despite the fact that it passed its most recent health insepctions. All I'm sayin' is Associated probably has a right to sue NY1 for lost business.

The reason you "know" that they passed their two most recent inspections is because it was reported in the news. It is not sensationalistic to report that Associated has for years been fighting a losing battle with mice and is routinely unable to assure its customers that the supermarket's employees are enacting proper food handling techniques (along with hundreds of other groceries and restaurants who also receive citiations and some that don't get written up), though it makes for lively debate apparently. Nor would a balanced viewer hear this sound bite and move to act against the store (boycotting) w/o further investigation. I've shopped there for years despite some misgivings and will continue to do so sometimes --particularly now that there has been improvement. So I haven't joined your "herds", nor is it at all clear that they even exsist.

Comment

Um, they passed two recent inspections. And from what I gather, it wasn't a result of "happenstance" like you imply, it was a result of recent renovations. So they probably had problems in the past and have finally overcome them when this slanderous report comes out. How would you like to be trying to run a business and have something like this that could potentially ruin you? Not nice. And frankly, I don't care about their past. All I care about is the current condition of the store.

Despite your apparently strong sentiment, you fail to show what would be legally required to deem NY1's reporting on this story as 'slanderous'.

Comment

Originally posted by MC08
          Just personal experience from a neighbor. I've lived on 16th and 7th for 30 years. I've seen markets come and go and have tried just about all in the neighborhood. I'm very happy with the renovated Associated. The staff is wonderful. The food has been fine, the selection is decent and you can't beat the prices. BTW, I love their rotisserie chickens which a plump, moist, tasty and about the least expensive around.

I have to go--shopping day at Associated!
          While I've only shopped at Associated just over a decade, it rarely excites me. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm, it's catchy

Comment

Originally posted by vbad
            Everyone it seems has been completely fair here.
            My bad - when I originally read these words I thought you were implying that I was angry at the people HERE for bringing up this story. Like I said, I blame the politician.

Originally posted by virtualpleasure
            you fail to show what would be legally required to deem NY1's reporting on this story as 'slanderous'.
            I'm not a lawyer, but the phrase "Dirty Dozen" and the act of standing in front of the store and grandstanding are two things which could certainly be taken as malicious intent. But yeah, there's probably no true legal case - just another example of collusion between sensation-seeking news media and a power-seeking politician.

I think it's interesting that over half of the Senator's "Dirty Dozen" are actually passing their inspections this year. While the goal of protecting the public from unsafe business practices is certainly worthy, his methods leave a lot to be desired. Why the public grandstanding? Why the outdated list of stores? If the idea is to publicly shame these businesses and perhaps drive all their customers away, I'm sure there are other businesses that are actually failing their inspections *this* year.

Comment

.. If the idea is to publicly shame these businesses and perhaps drive all their customers away, I'm sure there are other businesses that are actually failing their inspections *this* year.
              It would be difficult to have real time reporting on inspections for a number of reasons. While you say that you don't care about the transgressions of Associated past, historical data on performance can be quite compelling, particularly when you've spotted a pattern of poor behaviour or a turn for the better. Some say 'a knowledgeable consumer is [the] best customer'.
              I don't think the goal here was to drive all their customers away (if it was, it failed hardily) really, rather to prompt transgressors to clean-up their acts pronto (the best expository pieces can prompt this action quite effectively) kudos for those employees/ mangement, like Associated's perhaps, who had the presence of mind or at least the courtesy to clean up their acts beforehand even after they had already established a pattern of spotty performance in inspections.

Comment

My bad - when I originally read these words I thought you were implying that I was angry at the people HERE for bringing up this story. Like I said, I blame the politician.
                No problem! I see what you're saying. I do agree that showing him in front of Associated after they cleaned up was probably a little unfair. But the Big A certainly could have expected worst based on their past performance. Anyway, I'm glad they're all cleaned up now. And like VP said, nothing like a litlte media pressure to cause a company to get its act together.

I still don't understand how the state or whoever does these inspections can let a store like that stay open after so many repeated violations. You'd think they'd close 'em down till they got their act together. So much for protecting US!

Comment

I find myself in a very weird place after reading this thread the last few days.

Vbad asks "how the state or whoever does these inspections can let a store like that stay open after so many repeated violations".

May I point out that whole object of the excercise by this politician was to bring the spotlight to a piece of legislation that he has introduced that would impose a "3 strikes" and your out law. If enacted, 3 consecutive failures and the State license for the offending market would be revoked.

So, Vbad, rest assured, someone is trying their best to 'protect US'.

That being said, it a shame that this guy needs to resort to such dubious spin on Associated's record, (which although substandard seems to have shown considerable improvement), in order to be heard over the din of nonessential news. Although his attempt at getting attention is not the worst I could cite, it does show how crass the role of politician has become.

It appears that all politicians, from both parties, would rather take on a role of the shrill fanatic than the level-headed, deliberative leader that I look for. I guess they think that's how one gets noticed. What a shame.

CD
                  Need computer assistance?
                  See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Regarding supermarkets...

I have been shopping at Associated for years and have never seen any obvious violations. The recent remodleing makes it more pleasant. One bit of advice about produce: New York Fruit Exchange in the Chelsea Market has better produce and cheaper than any market. The Westside Market in 77 7th Ave. has incredibly fresh produce and most items are cheaper or the same as Supermarkets. I buy virtually all of my fresh produce there.

The one thing to really stay away from are household goods, canned goods, and other grocery staples. Mayo, for instance is about 40 cents more for a 16 oz. jar than Associated. Spices and such are at least three times the price of the Badia line sold in Associated. They don't offer canned sodas. But, again their produce is superb and competetively priced, as are their fish, seafood and cheeses and their dairy section is OK although milk products are a bit stiffly priced. Their sandwiches and such are good and fairly priced. The Westside Market is, to most people I talk to, spotlessly clean. Just be careful with the grocery staples, you can really get robbed there. And, even though I never personally bought any, someone on this blog said their sushi blows.
                    roby2000

Comment

Hey Seedy - thanks for setting me straight! I guess I was just going with the story from the first post here on this blog and wasn't really paying attention to the real story that I believe it was you who linked us to or quoted. Thanks! Anyway, good for him - I think there should be a 3 strikes & you're out law regarding this.

I never really paid any attention to this kind of thing before until this web site came along and seems like there have been several conversations on inspections of restaurants - and now grocery stores. Before joining this site I used to think if they failed an inspection they were either forced to un-fail immediately or they would be closed! How naive! Now, I learn that "passing" or "failing" is even a bit subjective. Who knew!?

Anyway, now that I've learned all this - thanks to you guys bringing it to my attention - I think it's pretty outrageous that a store that WAS as disgusting as Associated and did fail 4 consecutive inspections could simply be left open with not even a warning sign plastered all over the entrance doors!

Kind of negates the purpose of inspections doesn't it? I mean inspections are meant to PROTECT THE PUBLIC from dirty places. But it turns out if the place is dirty all that happens is it fails inspection. The public is still allowed to shop there - WITHOUT WARNING! How insane!

Oh - and Roby - thanks for suggesting the Westside Market. I've been really getting into fruit lately and I find it to be outrageously expensive almost everywhere - so I'll definitely give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by seedyonenyc
                        I find myself in a very weird place after reading this thread the last few days.

Vbad asks "how the state or whoever does these inspections can let a store like that stay open after so many repeated violations".

May I point out that whole object of the excercise by this politician was to bring the spotlight to a piece of legislation that he has introduced that would impose a "3 strikes" and your out law. If enacted, 3 consecutive failures and the State license for the offending market would be revoked.

So, Vbad, rest assured, someone is trying their best to 'protect US'.

That being said, it a shame that this guy needs to resort to such dubious spin on Associated's record, (which although substandard seems to have shown considerable improvement), in order to be heard over the din of nonessential news. Although his attempt at getting attention is not the worst I could cite, it does show how crass the role of politician has become.

It appears that all politicians, from both parties, would rather take on a role of the shrill fanatic than the level-headed, deliberative leader that I look for. I guess they think that's how one gets noticed. What a shame.

CD
                        Ultimately you say, 'what a shame' and I say 'business as usual'. There seems to me very little here that is novel or even compelling from a political perspective. Since this chat has become much more heavily focused on contraversial aspects of politicians rather than neighborhood supermarkets on 14th street, would it make sense for those more interested in political commentary to swap it over to the contraversial thread?

Comment

Hey VP - I think it's okay here for now as it's talking about a politician, but it's still within the realm of his role as it relates to one of our neighborhoods. So, I think it's okay to leave here for now. But keep an eye out!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan
                            Hey VP - I think it's okay here for now as it's talking about a politician, but it's still within the realm of his role as it relates to one of our neighborhoods. So, I think it's okay to leave here for now. But keep an eye out!
                            I appreciate your consideration of my inquiry and your response makes good sense. I think that the open, neighborhood forum feeling may lose some of its momentum if the primary focus for each thread here (on "14th St") becomes the maneuvering of politicians vis-a-vis the machinations of the media, particularly when you have (as a courtesy to those so inclined) designated an area created expressly for the controversial/ political.

Comment

I find myself agreeing with VP's concern--if I understand it correctly. I feel too many topics in NYC (and the country) seem to become instantly politicized and then the polarization we hear so much of starts to set in. One of the charms of this website is that it encourages neighbors to chat and inform each other about neighborhood issues in an apolitical environment. Personal opinions are great! But I also think if the topic turns controversial and political, it may better belong to the "controversial topics" thread. Although (long pause) I can see what Jonathan means too. Perhaps this is a neighborhood topic with political underpinnings and voicing them doesn't imply controversy. HMMM--well, you've got this neighbor thinking!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MC08
                                I find myself agreeing with VP's concern--if I understand it correctly. I feel too many topics in NYC (and the country) seem to become instantly politicized and then the polarization we hear so much of starts to set in. One of the charms of this website is that it encourages neighbors to chat and inform each other about neighborhood issues in an apolitical environment. Personal opinions are great! But I also think if the topic turns controversial and political, it may better belong to the "controversial topics" thread. Although (long pause) I can see what Jonathan means too. Perhaps this is a neighborhood topic with political underpinnings and voicing them doesn't imply controversy. HMMM--well, you've got this neighbor thinking!!!

I could not (and was not able to) say it better myself. THANKS MC08

Comment

Working...
                                X