Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

If you spend at least 40 bucks on groceries for a small fee getting Fresh Direct is really a great way to shop. It's not hard to spend especially if you order weekly and they have a lot of selection as far as prepared foods. Delivery is fast and you pick the time frame. Really, give it a try. You can "fill in" what you need during the week. The produce is really good, too.

Comment

Fresh direct might be good produce but the pollution and the double parking and honking and screaming that result from it are a great argument against them (unless you're bound to your home). I find it ecologically really questionable to have your food be delivered individually by big cooling trucks, especially in this day in age!

Comment

Originally posted by LongTime Resident
        If you spend at least 40 bucks on groceries for a small fee getting Fresh Direct is really a great way to shop. It's not hard to spend especially if you order weekly and they have a lot of selection as far as prepared foods. Delivery is fast and you pick the time frame. Really, give it a try. You can "fill in" what you need during the week. The produce is really good, too.
        Yes! I am such a creature of habit that I haven't used them since they brought me 50 dollars of free groceries- a promotion they ran early on. Everything was really fresh and good.

Sometimes I need a nudge. Thanks LTR, great idea - so convenient and hassle free I might as well get with the program and stop lamenting the sins of Associated

Comment

Originally posted by earrelevant
          Fresh direct might be good produce but the pollution and the double parking and honking and screaming that result from it are a great argument against them (unless you're bound to your home). I find it ecologically really questionable to have your food be delivered individually by big cooling trucks, especially in this day in age!
          I think there is something to what you say here. One of my biggest pet peeves is the air pollution caused by idling cars and such.. i hadn't thought of this, hmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by earrelevant

Yes, I can see your point about that ear.

Unfortunately, there's still the pollution from idling cabs, buses and cars especially at peak travel hours and at the tunnels. Should we give up taking the bus? (faggetabout cars and cabs-not many of us can afford either) It's hard to decide where to draw the line at that considering just how much contributes to the pollution here. I don't see that Fresh Direct trucks are that different from any other truck...whatever needs to be delivered cold/frozen comes into the grocery store the same way.

Anyway, not to steer the conversation to a politically correct one. My suggestion was an alternative to shopping at filthy, rat and roach infested stores. And since Fresh Direct offers prepared foods, too, it saves money on eating out all the time.

Comment

Since D'Ags closed, I've used FreshDirect almost exclusively. I like them.

The way I see it, in spite of the noise and pollution concerns, there really is no other option. I'm not going to give my business to stores like Gristedes, where the staff is offensively rude (the last time I was there, the clerk couldn't even be bothered to get off her cell phone to ring me up). I can and do pick up produce and basic staples elsewhere, but for larger grocery purchases, buying elsewhere would mean using a taxi (again with the pollution, noise and hazards) or ordering delivery (ditto) to get everything home. FreshDirect is just the best option in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by virtualpleasure
                It's news to people that would like to have an insight into the food handling safety practices of the stores in which they shop.
                If they want sensationalistic, inaccurate, out-of-date news - then ok, I guess tv news is the way to go. They can join the herds who won't shop at Associated because of this story -- despite the fact that it passed its most recent health insepctions. All I'm sayin' is Associated probably has a right to sue NY1 for lost business.

Comment

On Fresh Direct's supposed pollution - you have to think of it like this. The food has to get from where it's grown to your apartment in some way or fashion. And it's going to consume approximately the same amount of energy and expend approximatley the same amount of pollution no matter which way it finally ends up at your doorstep.

Whether it's all shipped in huge bulk to Fresh Direct somewhere in Brooklyn and then later delivered in trucks to Manhattan, or whether it's delivered to many different grocery stores within Manhattan and then people take cabs and buses to and from those stores to get it to their houses - doesn't really matter. In the end it's going to come out to probably almost exactly the same amount of pollution to get it from the field to your house. Whether it comes by refrigerated Fresh Direct truck directly to your house or by many different refrigerated trucks to many different stores closer to your house, and then by cab or bus to your house or even walking - it's all about the same.

On TV News - TV news has ALWAYS been about the lowest common denominator! I hope no one thinks that just started now!

And on your point that they shouldn't have reported this because they just happened to pass their last inspection - I strongly disagree with that. They should have mentioned that they passed the last inspection if that was known when they reported the story. But come on - for a store that's had such a *soiled* history shall we say ! I certainly don't want to be left in the dark about it because they happened to pass one recent inspection. Don't you think we're all better off if we know the whole story?

Comment

Originally posted by vbad
                    because they happened to pass one recent inspection. Don't you think we're all better off if we know the whole story?
                    Um, they passed two recent inspections. And from what I gather, it wasn't a result of "happenstance" like you imply, it was a result of recent renovations. So they probably had problems in the past and have finally overcome them when this slanderous report comes out. How would you like to be trying to run a business and have something like this that could potentially ruin you? Not nice. And frankly, I don't care about their past. All I care about is the current condition of the store.

Comment

People, People, People:

Settle down.

Here are the exact quotes from the NY1 story as posted on their website:

State Senator Jeff Klein released the list of the "Dirty Dozen" supermarkets Sunday.

Klein was in front of one of the stores, an Associated on 14th Street between Seventh and Eighth avenues in Manhattan.

According to the report, rat-eaten holes in sacks of rice, moth-infested popcorn and live cockroaches are just some of the disgusting things that have been found in some city food stores. Klein says the stores have multiple failed inspections.

Pleas note that the sensationalism created by the line about rats, moths and cockroaches does say, “found at some city food stores”.

A quote from a customer:

They are being called the “Dirty Dozen,” 12 of the filthiest food stores in the city. According to a report released by State Senator Jeff Klein, an Associated Supermarket on 14th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues is on the list, and that's not sitting well with some of the store's customers.

Many say they find it hard to believe.

“If that were true it would not be cool and I would recommend that they clean it up quickly,” said one customer. “But this store, I have never had a problem with this store.”

“This must have been a long time ago because this store was fixed before the holiday and now it looks beautiful,” added another. “It was a little bit let go, you know?
                      ””

Last paragraphs of the article:

But the manager of the Associated said the store failed those inspections while it was undergoing renovations. He says the store passed its last two inspections and he has taken steps to make sure it remains clean.

“We have an exterminator that comes in twice a week that goes around the store, and of course we monitor the store every day. It's the best we can do,” said manager Glen Bruno.

Bruno also says two inspection certificates from March and May of this year proves his store shouldn't be on the list.

After hearing that, Klein said he's glad the Associated has cleaned up its act, and he hoping others will follow suit.

Calm down and dig deeper.

Are we all just a bunch of “Chicken Little” “The-sky-is-falling” types??

Where is your skepticism? Where is your cynicism? Do you believe everything you read or hear?

Take the time and verify sources. Question authority. Think for yourself.

But if you do identify a problem, don't let up.

Sure that’s hard work, but you’re worth it.

CD
                      Need computer assistance?
                      See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by seedyonenyc
                        State Senator Jeff Klein released the list of the "Dirty Dozen" supermarkets Sunday. Klein was in front of one of the stores, an Associated on 14th Street between Seventh and Eighth avenues in Manhattan.
                        So the fault lies with one of our trusted elected officials. That figures.

The dude didn't bother to check that the store had passed its last two inspections before holding court in front of the store and passing judgement. Either that, or he didn't care and just wanted to get some publicity for himself. And how many readers do you think actually read all the way to the last paragraph to get the true story?

Comment

Sounds like a fair report to me. And we should say W16thDenizen gave a completely fair and accurate report when he started this blog. He quoted some article as saying they had failed 4 consecutive inspections and gave the dates. Then he said they passed the two most recent inspections and gave the dates. So I don't know what you're so upset about. Everyone it seems has been completely fair here. It's certainly not slanderous to report the fact that a store failed 4 consecutive inspections. It could only be slanderous if that happened to not be true.

Oh and as far as how many "readers" read down to the last paragraph - seedy said this was reported on NY1 - which is a TV station, i.e. no need to read. Just sit in front of the tube and watch.

Comment

I'm upset about the original story - nowhere did I blame anyone here! Please don't put words in my mouth.

And as for the accuracy of the report, everything in it may be true, but it's still very irresponsible, sloppy reporting. And whether the public sees it on NY1 or reads their website doesn't matter - attention spans are short. When the first words are "This store is one of the top 12 dirtiest in the city" and the guy is standing right there in front of it, that's the first impression they get. Many - maybe most - people won't pay attention to the rest of the story and find that the store in question is NOT in fact one of the dirtiest anymore.

These shady tactics could be used against anyone. Imagine you owned a shop and this kind of report drove all your business away. You wouldn't find it "fair" then, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by rhywun
                              I'm upset about the original story - nowhere did I blame anyone here! Please don't put words in my mouth.
                              Ummm, I'm not putting words in your mouth. This is what you said:

Originally posted by rhywun
                              So the fault lies with one of our trusted elected officials. That figures.
                              Now, when someone says "the fault lies with" they are clearly blaming that person. Plus, you were the one actually putting words into my mouth! Nowhere did I say that you blamed anyone! I only said "I don't see what you're so upset about"!

Anyway, I agree with you that putting him in front of the Associated - that had passed the two most recent inspections is a little unfair and does send an unfair message.

But you know what? When you run a store that's been that dirty for that long - and then you complain because you eventually got slammed for it - even if it's a little late - I'm sorry but I just can't muster too much sympathy for you - especially when the report did give the full and true story. Maybe it was slightly unfair but it never would have happened had they not failed 4 consecutive inspections and failed them for disgusting reasons.

If they never wanted to be in a report like that maybe they shouldn't have allowed rats and roaches to run rampant all over their store for the last 6 months. I'm sorry but I just can't feel too sorry for a store that has put the public's health at such risk for so long.

But I'm mad at the city government too. I really think Bloomberg is letting things fall apart. But why do they let stores like this continue to operate after failing these inspections. Is there no consequence for failing? Ooops you failed again! But you can still continue to operate as if nothing had happened? I don't get that. Shouldn't a store that dirty just be closed down until they clean up the mess? How are we protected while these stores are allowed to remain open? Not even a notice in the front window warning us about the filth.

Comment

This is the full report From Sen. Klein's office

And here is the short list at thye Senator's home page.

From what I gathered Markets come under the Dept. of Agriculture and I saw no reference to a public listing of inspections results like the one on the Dept. of Health site for restaurants.

The Senator is calling for a 3 strikes & your out law for markets.

I see that Markets are supposed to "post dates and results of recent inspections" and I don't think I would know what one looked like if I saw it. Are they posted in the basement next to the timeclock?

You know the drill by now people. With the square footage rates escalating, there will be fewer outlets to choose from which will allow for price increases and if they are pressured into complying with health codes that require a semi-conscious staff...POW - ZOOM prices to the moon.

It may soon be cheaper to be eating restaurant food for every meal, but trust me, you don't want to know what goes on behind THOSE doors.

By the way, if you look at the most common violations in the full report you will see that the pet food sections are a particularly sensitive area.

Enjoy ,
                                CD

PS One advantage about Fresh Direct, you will never see anything but the boxes they come in. Wher do they post their inspection notices? in Queens? NJ? I don't see them posted on their website.
                                Need computer assistance?
                                See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Working...
                                X