Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

It looks like this place has been put on the dirtiest supermarkets in NYC list.

Associated 255 W 14th Street:
    "Failed four consecutive inspections between 7/05/05 and 02/02/06 due to rodent activity throughout the deli, food storage and preparation areas. Twenty-eight pounds of dog foods defiled with mouse droppings, gnaw marks and urine stains were seized from store shelves on 5/06/05. Hundreds of mouse droppings have been noted on multiple occasions."

They do say that the place passed inspections on 3/22/06 and 5/24/06, however. But I've been in there numerous times and watched the mice run back and forth. Yuck!

Re: Associated Market at 255 W. 14th

What a dirty disgusting store that is. Thanks for posting this. Very helpful! Although we don't really need an official inspection to tell us that's a dirty disgusting place. But it's good to have our suspicions confirmed! Thanks for the info W16thDenizen.

Comment

Originally posted by vbad
      What a dirty disgusting store that is. Thanks for posting this. Very helpful! Although we don't really need an official inspection to tell us that's a dirty disgusting place. But it's good to have our suspicions confirmed! Thanks for the info W16thDenizen.

The shopping carts are mired in filth. It's honestly appalling, a thick layer of grime obscures the metallic glint of many of the shopping cart frames.. just three weeks ago I actually lodged a complaint about the condition of the shopping carts, 'umm, these need to be hosed down homey, these carts are like really riding rough shod..' When shopping at this store I feel constrained to place circulars in the cart basket -as something, not much though, of a barrier against the grime- lest my meats etc. touch the filth and transmit... Please note here that I am not (yet at least) a germaphobe or neat freak at all. The manager on duty at the time, with whom I have a relatively good rapport, squinted his eyes and murmured "where.. what.." in response to my comment about the carts. Oh come on now, if I noticed the bad condition of most of the shopping carts, then I am quite sure many, many other customers have noticed as well. Apparently even infrequent inspections unveil further and better hidden violations. I get it. NY is not on the list of the top ten cleanest cities, I was born and raised here. But for a nanosecond after reading Denizens post- Luxembourg beckened (I have been shopping at Associated on 14th St. several times a week for about a decade despite my lurking suspicions, so I feel, well, somewhat foolish Thanks to 16thstreet denizen for sharing this news w/ us and confirming for me that I am not just making these things up..

Guess I'll be fronting the funds and getting up off my lazy butt to trek over to whole foods or trader joes more frequently..

ps. purchase Associated's salad bar items at your own risk.. about three months ago I witnessed an older gentleman who had a pungent body odor and was ambling around the store rather aimlessly toss a murky liquid from a dirty plastic bottle he was drinking from right into the ambrosia after first eating some from the tray with his hands. Disgusted (even though I've never personally braved the salad bar items), I complained to the manager (this was one of two times in about ten years that I took it upon myself to actually say something about what I witnessed as being alarmingly unsanitary) - who only mildy chastised the offender, 'next time, you will be banned from the store' I still feel vaklempt when I still see the filthy gent from time to time milling about the store

Comment

That place has always been a dump. It smells like mouse piss in there. I live rightbehind it on 15th Street. Our building and allthe others on this block are infested with mice. I'm not surprised by the inspections...but you know what??? They won't change anything. They haven't changed anything for the last 10 years - why should they change things now?

b
        elfin

Comment

Wow - I'm surprised. I went to this store for the first time last week and it looked pretty clean to me. I guess I wasn't paying very close attention
          I usually shop at the Western Market or whatever it's called on 7th and 15th but I have been looking for something with a bit more selection and cheaper prices. (Hint: I hate cooking so I only buy simple junk like spaghetti and packaged goods - Western Market is missing a lot of the cheaper kinds of food I'm used to....)

Comment

[QUOTE=rhywun]Wow - I'm surprised. I went to this store for the first time last week and it looked pretty clean to me. I guess I wasn't paying very close attention /QUOTE]

I stopped by for a can of tuna yesterday and noticed the carts had been cleaned. I hope elfin's wrong and that the inspections and feedback has prompted some ongoing improvements. Here's to hoping...

Comment

yes, I agree, mouse piss smell and icky carts. I was there recently and they had rennovated a little, or just moved their products around, I couldn't really tell. Now I know why I've never bought any produce there - it always felt murky and strange in there. And why would I buy it there or any other supermarket when we have Chelsea Markets?

Comment

"..And why would I buy it there or any other supermarket when we have Chelsea Markets.."

good point. I used to go there all the time and just got out of the habit. Certainly a better alternative for produce.

Comment

Originally posted by virtualpleasure
                  " good point. I used to go there all the time and just got out of the habit. Certainly a better alternative for produce.
                  cheaper, fresher, prettier and served by people with minty, fresh breath.

Comment

Wow, I don't see Associated as dirty or nasty. Before the renovation, yeah, it was a bit run-down, but since the renovation, it's great. I've been going there for years & have never seen a mouse or mouse dropping.

I live on 24th Street, and actually make a run down to Associated to stock up once or twice a month because their prices & sales are so good.

Since D'Ags closed (which was pricey but had good sales), the only other supermarket around here is Gristede's, and believe me, Associated is much nicer than the Gristede's on 24th & 9th. And the prices are much better too.

The Gristede's on 26th Street is pretty good, but if I'm stocking up it's still a good deal cheaper to go to Associated & take the bus home.

Comment

Originally posted by gatopreto
                      Wow, I don't see Associated as dirty or nasty.
                      See, I knew I wasn't crazy. I think Associated should sue the crap out of the news channel that aired this malicious story. "This store failed some health inspections last year and passed some other ones this year!!!" How is that news? I bet it was FOX5.

Comment

Nope, it wasn't Fox 5 - it was NY 1. So much for Fox 5 being evil!

Comment

Originally posted by vbad
                          Nope, it wasn't Fox 5 - it was NY 1. So much for Fox 5 being evil!
                          Makes sense. I saw the orginal story, and I don't watch Fox5, but I do occasionally watch NY1. I guess it just proves that all tv news is crap now. They're all descending to the lowest common denominator - which is Fox5

Comment

Quote: "Wow, I don't see Associated as dirty or nasty. Before the renovation, yeah, it was a bit run-down, but since the renovation, it's great. I've been going there for years & have never seen a mouse or mouse dropping.."

To be fair I've seen many that are far dirtier in the city, even in very pricey neighborhoods in the upper east side, but I don't shop at them. Clearly though if inspectors found that the mice at the 14th Associated are gnawing several pounds of dog food and leaving behind showers of poop and nearby residents note the mice are checking into nearby apartments en masse --it's, well, perhaps not so nice as you thought.

The renovations took a very long time and the store was 'in between' phase for longer than could have been reasonably expected for the work that was done. Is this why they didn't even bother with a "please excuse our appearance" notice of any sort-- pretty bootleg.

The filthy underlying floor boards and soiled shelves where they had pulled up the floors and shuffled stuff around was nearly impossible to miss during this time as was the pungent pissy scent. I should say that the spectacle of the renovation process filled me too with some excitement and I still align myself with the idea that the store can and has improve(d) and that I've benefited from the relatively good prices and sales. Alas, the renovations seem to serve as more of a cosmetic cover-up process than a real committment to food handling safety. With future inspections, and observations, the truth, will, no doubt, come out in the wash.

Comment

Originally posted by rhywun
                              See, I knew I wasn't crazy. I think Associated should sue the crap out of the news channel that aired this malicious story. "This store failed some health inspections last year and passed some other ones this year!!!" How is that news? I bet it was FOX5.

It's news to people that would like to have an insight into the food handling safety practices of the stores in which they shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X